• Kimber

Votes: 37 44.6%
  • Smithfield

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Taurus

Votes: 17 20.5%

• Total voters

RyanDro45

I received a "marijuana paraphernalia" charge back in 2002 when i was about 16, however it was expunged. I can still buy hang guns( matter of fact i just bought a pt1911 today) :)...Will I be able to get a Carry permit or a GFL for Georgia. Please some one let me know. I dont want to waste my time if I cant,Because I believe its expensive here and the average turn around is 120-150 Days!!!! That should be illegal

Thanks RYAN DRO

--"ITS BETTER TO BE CAUGHT WITH IT<> THAN WITH OUT IT"

What is a Smithfield?

And I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you're going to be denied. How did you get the charge expunged? or do you mean sealed, as in you were a minor at the time and now you're an adult?

As a young rabble-rouser lo those many years ago, I, too, had an incident "expunged" from my record. My understanding at the time was it was as if the incident had never occurred. I had occasion some years later to check the official records in the state of Maryland and my record was completely clean. I also held very high-level security clearances from several intelligence agencies. Now, this was in Maryland and I don't know Georgia law. So, this is FWIW and all the encouragement I can give you. Personally, I would go for it and be prepared to fight for it.

I meant SpringField..

ha ha i was talking on the phone lol ...smith and wesson / springfield hmm i dont know

Expunged is kinda like a first offenders act where if you get charged with something and your lawyer works out a deal like i had to do extra community service and the charge got "expunged" or removed from my record..maybe its just different places call it different things. This was in TN but im trying to get a Carry License in GA now

AND Flash do you now have a license to carry / carry permit

Last edited:
Was the charge a misdemeanor or a felony? If the charge was expunged it should not ever be held against you. But i would check with state laws about what penalty the charge carries with it. You might try finding a web site that lists your states statutes and look under self defense acts (which should cover the carry permit rules), etc and try looking up some gun laws.

You might contact a local pd or a Defense Attorney and ask them if they now anything about a web site that lists your states statutes. such as Oklahoma has oscn.net...see legal research / Oklahoma Statutes Citationized .

Not sure on Georgia's requirements regarding a misdemeanor drug charge. How did you plea? Were you convicted? You are able to buy a gun because you do not have a felony record in the NICS. In most cases if you are able to purchase firearms, you will be able to obtain a carry permit. However, it is still up to the State of Georgia whether or not they issue in regard to your particular case. You were a minor at the time, and in Georgia, possession of marijuana paraphernalia is a misdemeanor...more along the lines of a speeding ticket. You were most likely charged as a juvenile. Also, there is the fact that you had it expunged. I think you are good to go on the permit.

By the way, Kimber is going to win the poll:biggrin: They are far and above the most popular 1911 on this site. I am going to get a 1911 myself eventually. They are a bit pricey and since I want to stick with an American made model, I am going to have to pay more. The Taurus looks nice and I am sure it is a decent pistol... However, the 1911 and the .45 ACP are as American as apple pie and for me, I have to stick with the heritage thing.

ha ha i was talking on the phone lol ...smith and wesson / springfield hmm i dont know

Expunged is kinda like a first offenders act where if you get charged with something and your lawyer works out a deal like i had to do extra community service and the charge got "expunged" or removed from my record..maybe its just different places call it different things. This was in TN but im trying to get a Carry License in GA now

AND Flash do you now have a license to carry / carry permit

Yep, have had a CWP for most of 30 years, granted by several states.

If it were actually expunged, then your record is clean. Expunged means the record was deleted.

BTW, there are numerous websites that for a very nominal fee ($15-20) will do a complete check of your records.

bill

If it does show though, GA will deny the permit. GA denies carry applicants to anyone who has had any drug charges. Make sure it is expunged, which usually requires going back to court after you serve your sentance and filling out paperwork, etc. Did you have to do any of this? or did you just plead "nolo" or "first time offender"? If you did that, you were convicted and just didn't have to serve jail time.

Thanks guys!!

First off you guys are awsome im new to this forum thing and im glad to finally have some people to talk to. All my friends seem to not care about guns and carry permits, i dont want to use the word sheep cause some of them are kinda wild but you get the picture...They are always like what are you doin buying all these guns, And im thinking what are you doin without one!!! But its not like they arent cool with it or anything they just dont care about it really. I mean everyone likes to shoot them but they dont understand that you have to get involved. For instance I decided to get a gun 3 months ago and now i have 3 and i have already quadruppled my knowledge of them just by reading everyday and talking to you guys.....

I guess what im trying to say is THANKS FOR BEING THERE

Last edited:
Hey Ryan,

In most counties in Georgia, the GFL is issued by the Probate Court Judge after a records check done via the local Sheriff's Office. Go by and ask the Judge, he/she will probably be able to answer your question accurately. Go 'Dawgs.

I served

No i served my sentence and everything like that my lawyer just worked out the deal to expunge it. Also i bought a background check on my self and ran every kind of check possible i even put in my old address in TN where the crime happend.....Absolutly nothing soo i guess im good to go... On a side note im pissed off with this hold Bullshit on buying guns they told me a week ago i could come get it today and i went in today and the guy at the gun store said he hadnt called the NICS line since this morning and "couldnt" call till around 4.. couldnt call my ass he just didnt feel like it. i know i wont be going back to this place, but they do have the best prices in town :hang3:

I agree with ya. Just got a Kimber crimson pro carry 45 acp. Yes a bit spendy but worth every penny! And I like apple pie..:biggrin:

I would apply for the permit. If the charge was expunged as you say, it shouldn't show up, or cause you to be denied.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back