Wild Hog Ammo

Dog5911

Just kinda wondering what people are using to hunt wild hogs. What Caliber? Rifle or Pistol? Any advise on hunting them?

Wild Hogs

I have hunted wild hogs a few times and I like the .270 caliber. Shoots long and flat but also has enough power for an easy 1 shot kill, obviously it has to be in the right spot.

I haven't hunted wild hogs yets. I plan to as soon as this $%^&*( heat wave cools down to about 70. I plan to use my Marlin 45-70 lever action rifle. There is no closed season on hogs in NY.

Where I am here in central Cal 500yds is a close shot, I use a 300 weatherby mag due to the long shots and the fact hogs are just plain tough. If you are hunting in an area with some cover where you don't need to shoot a moving target at 500+ a 270 will be a great choice. In my opinion the only thing that beats a 270 as an all-around caliber is a 25-06. Good luck and have fun

hog Ammo

I really don't know why you would use a large 50 cal round on a hog or why your would need to shoot 500 yards. The first time I went hog hunting, I shot from about 50 yards and the second time I shot from exactly 150 yards. I hit the second hog square in the vitals with a .270. The exit wound was about 6 inches in diameter. There is no need for a large round. You just need to be accurate because you don't want to loose too much meat or destroy a possible mount. Your not going to see a true wild hog over 150 lbs and if you do, it was a farm raised pig, which is not hunting in my book. Sight your rifle to 200 yards and use a small ballistic tipped bullet and you'll be fine. If you need to take down a large boar, I suggest putting one through the head.

I really don't know why you would use a large 50 cal round on a hog or why your would need to shoot 500 yards. The first time I went hog hunting, I shot from about 50 yards and the second time I shot from exactly 150 yards. I hit the second hog square in the vitals with a .270. The exit wound was about 6 inches in diameter. There is no need for a large round. You just need to be accurate because you don't want to loose too much meat or destroy a possible mount. Your not going to see a true wild hog over 150 lbs and if you do, it was a farm raised pig, which is not hunting in my book. Sight your rifle to 200 yards and use a small ballistic tipped bullet and you'll be fine. If you need to take down a large boar, I suggest putting one through the head.

I meant your not going to see a hog over about 350 lbs. Sorry typing sucks.

ocergryan331:217551 said:
I really don't know why you would use a large 50 cal round on a hog or why your would need to shoot 500 yards. The first time I went hog hunting, I shot from about 50 yards and the second time I shot from exactly 150 yards.

Before you start telling me im doing something wrong remember I am 3000 miles away. I have 6000 acres that I hunt and between my son and I we shot 78 hogs last year and we have 23 so far this year, just because something works on the east coast dose not mean it works everywhere.

I use a .22 WMR during the Alabama WMA squirrel season and my 45-70 during deer season and the special hog hunting season. Hogs are legal in most AL WMAs using weapons approved for that hunting season (i.e. squirrel guns during squirrel season, deer guns during deer season etc.).

Haven't got one yet with the .22 WMR, but it's not due to lack of trying!

My son hunts boar in TN. with dogs. the shots are close some times very close.He was shooting a lever gun in 45 long colt . That made me nervous, so I got him a marlin guide gun in 45-70 lots of stopping power.If you aren't running down hogs in heavy brush I like a 270 .

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back