WI CCW Question (Businesses and Signs)

KCD1974

Okay I asked this in another thread and only got one reply and I'm still a little confused....

Here is the law from the WI DOJ website:

Can a business or property owner limit or prohibit the carrying of concealed weapons on its premises?
Yes. The law permits certain owners and occupants of property to prohibit persons from carrying a concealed firearm in or on the property. A person may be subject to a Class B forfeiture if he or she carries a firearm on the property after being notified not to remain on the property or remain with a specific type of firearm. In the latter case, a property owner can prohibit a person form possessing a specific type of firearm on their property or any firearm. Wis. Stat. § 943.13(1m)(b).
In addition, property owners generally possess the right to exclude others from their property. While the specific provisions below only reference prohibiting the possession of firearms, property owners may also prohibit or restrict the possession of other weapons on their property. Violations of such restrictions may also constitute a Class B forfeiture under Wis. Stat. § 943.13(1m)(b). Therefore, the language quoted below, while only mentioning firearms, applies with equal force to other weapons.

So my question was and still is....Does the property owner have to verbally ask you to leave and you refuse (as is the case in IA and MN) or is the sign the method of being informed? The confusing part is "After being notified not to remain" that would lead me to believe you have to be asked to leave. Stating the business bans guns, is not asking you to leave, it's only informing you that they'd not like you to carry a firearm there.

Believe me, I'm not trying to find loop holes or be a smart @#$, I'm just trying to make sure that when I make a business trip to WI (I call on a lot of businesses) that I don't violate the law. I don't have the option really of boycotting entering the business because I have to sell them products. It's a great thing in MN and IA that they can post the signs but still must ask you to leave AND you REFUSE to leave, I'm not sure why anyone would do that, before you are in any trouble and even then, it's only a $25.00 petty misd. in MN and of course that's after they figured out that you have a concealed weapon, not an easy task itself, if you've done your job.

As always I appreciate any feed back....Either way, it's okay, at least we can carry in WI now! WOOO HOOO

Here is the link to the WI DOJ: Link Removed

I believe if a sign is posted that is your warning not to enter with your firearm. If no sign is posted,but the business ask you to leave or put your firearm in your car, that is what you have to do or risk having the police called.

Yes, in WI, signs carry 'force of law' (If my terminology is correct).

That is obviously different from MN law where you must be ASKED to leave or else you're trespassing.
Also, in MN you're not subject to forfeiture of your weapon, whereas in WI you can be.

Carry Concealed has its benefits. This is one of them.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back