Why people don't train.

What's the reason people don't train? I know money is one of them. I know a lot of men that don't because of ego. What excuse have you heard?

ego? I would think that could be a reason if a small amount of people, IMHO the 3 main reasons that people do not train is
1. ignorance of the need to develop and maintain the skills necessary to be able to operate the weapon in the safest and most productive manner.
2. economics, training is expensive, between tuition, ammo, and possibly travel expenses training can be very costly.
3. time, many people just don't have a lot of time to devote hours training.

Mine is expensive ammunition. However, I still do dry fire or some other form of practice (got a new holster, etc) after my son goes to bed.

I think it depends on what you mean by training. For the vast majority of non-military, non-LEOs, the primary defense strategy is to run away and break off an encounter if at all possible. I know that's mine. My EDC is a Ruger LCP, and the only reasonably conceivable circumstance for me to use it would be up-close and very personal, and then only when a loved one or I are directly threatened. If I'm in a restaurant or a store that is getting robbed, as long as the bad guy doesn't cover me or mine with his muzzle, he'll have to trouble from me. I'm just a guy with a desk job and a desire to protect myself. I go to the range every two weeks, shoot a hundred rounds or so, and I can hit any spot I want at 7 yards or closer. Is that training? If so, I train.

On the other hand, for my purposes, I think off-hand shooting, running and shooting, room-clearing and hand-to-hand combat training are all fun, but it's just gun camp. Instead of a ski vacation, it's a gun vacation. That kind of training for most of us is the equivalent of going to a dude ranch to play cowboy for a while. It's not who I am, and it's not who I project to be. I don't believe in a zombie apocalypse, and I don't foresee a real-life RED DAWN scenario where my modest little arsenal will rescue the country from hoards of people trying to do it harm. I see no need to train for any kind of tactical situation.

One thing I do know after a career in the fire and rescue service is that emergency situations have a way of locking up the mind. Some people panic and others take meaningful action. The difference is often defined by the level of relevant training. The way I see it, there's no real strategy in a gunfight beyond trying hard to be the one who walks away at the end of it. The key to that is marksmanship. If I can drill my attacker in the eye with my little .380 round before he can drill me in the gut with his .45, I win. If I don't, then I've had a bad day. Given that the average gunfight lasts something like three seconds, the winner is determined quickly and loser never knows he lost.

I train to learn something new or, occasionally, as a refresher to reinforce what I've previously been taught and I what I feel I've gotten slack about doing right.

I practice to perfect what I've been taught.

Why don't people eat healthier, exercise more or just plain take care of themselves better? Choices, we all have choices.

I think it depends on what you mean by training. For the vast majority of non-military, non-LEOs, the primary defense strategy is to run away and break off an encounter if at all possible. I know that's mine. My EDC is a Ruger LCP, and the only reasonably conceivable circumstance for me to use it would be up-close and very personal, and then only when a loved one or I are directly threatened. If I'm in a restaurant or a store that is getting robbed, as long as the bad guy doesn't cover me or mine with his muzzle, he'll have to trouble from me. I'm just a guy with a desk job and a desire to protect myself. I go to the range every two weeks, shoot a hundred rounds or so, and I can hit any spot I want at 7 yards or closer. Is that training? If so, I train.

On the other hand, for my purposes, I think off-hand shooting, running and shooting, room-clearing and hand-to-hand combat training are all fun, but it's just gun camp. Instead of a ski vacation, it's a gun vacation. That kind of training for most of us is the equivalent of going to a dude ranch to play cowboy for a while. It's not who I am, and it's not who I project to be. I don't believe in a zombie apocalypse, and I don't foresee a real-life RED DAWN scenario where my modest little arsenal will rescue the country from hoards of people trying to do it harm. I see no need to train for any kind of tactical situation.

One thing I do know after a career in the fire and rescue service is that emergency situations have a way of locking up the mind. Some people panic and others take meaningful action. The difference is often defined by the level of relevant training. The way I see it, there's no real strategy in a gunfight beyond trying hard to be the one who walks away at the end of it. The key to that is marksmanship. If I can drill my attacker in the eye with my little .380 round before he can drill me in the gut with his .45, I win. If I don't, then I've had a bad day. Given that the average gunfight lasts something like three seconds, the winner is determined quickly and loser never knows he lost.

Like it or not to those on this forum who find something or many things wrong with nathanwriter, he is honest and correct as far as I am concerned and, if you were to somehow have a way of asking this question to all "ordinary joes" out there who own that one firearm or two firearms, you will find, IMO, that they agree with his comments.
I do not carry 24/7 or most days. I wholeheartedly believe in situational awarenes that has kept me safe for 71 years. Maybe I have led a blessed and upper middle class life but I also do not go anywhere that could cause me a problem and I will evade, run, hide--anything to avoid a problem. In my house I lock my bedroom door and will not leave it to investigate a bump in the night. I have insurance for everything and it all can be replaced--it is just stuff. I have insurance on myself but I am not replaceable and have no intention of finding out how good I am at this gun stuff. Try and open my locked bedroom door and it will probably will be the last thing you do. I target shoot in more of a real practice mode every two weeks with friends but I am not rolling around and laying on my belly and shooting from the hip etal, but I do practice point/shoot usually at targets that are within a 5-10 yards and not to the length of the range--the length of the range is not, IMO, imminent danger to me and serves me no purpose within what I consider my conservative lifestyle.
Thank you nathan for saying something that I believe most people agree with.

I know some people who dont train because they think they dont need to. For me, I just cant afford it. Ammo isnt always on the shelf to replenish for when I can. I wish I could go weekly, but like most people, time and finances dont allow it.

I think the point is, thats its better to "over" train with things that will probably never happen, so youll be prepared for what might. Just like carrying as much ammo as you can. Better to have 50 rnds and need 10 then carry 15 and need more

1st most people think going to the range is training. It's not. It is practicing what you should have learned in training with a professional instructor.
2nd training is expensive. Even basic courses cost 2-300 bucks plus ammo.
3rd most don't believe they need it. They have the "it can't happen to me" attitude.

It amazes me I have people tell me they can't afford it, and I read on the forum they just bought their 4th
Gun this year.

Like it or not to those on this forum who find something or many things wrong with nathanwriter, he is honest and correct as far as I am concerned and, if you were to somehow have a way of asking this question to all "ordinary joes" out there who own that one firearm or two firearms, you will find, IMO, that they agree with his comments.
I do not carry 24/7 or most days. I wholeheartedly believe in situational awarenes that has kept me safe for 71 years. Maybe I have led a blessed and upper middle class life but I also do not go anywhere that could cause me a problem and I will evade, run, hide--anything to avoid a problem. In my house I lock my bedroom door and will not leave it to investigate a bump in the night. I have insurance for everything and it all can be replaced--it is just stuff. I have insurance on myself but I am not replaceable and have no intention of finding out how good I am at this gun stuff. Try and open my locked bedroom door and it will probably will be the last thing you do. I target shoot in more of a real practice mode every two weeks with friends but I am not rolling around and laying on my belly and shooting from the hip etal, but I do practice point/shoot usually at targets that are within a 5-10 yards and not to the length of the range--the length of the range is not, IMO, imminent danger to me and serves me no purpose within what I consider my conservative lifestyle.
Thank you nathan for saying something that I believe most people agree with.

Agreed, with one alteration: I have a kid, and I'd have to get him out of his bedroom first. I need enough of the basics to do that safely, then I'm good.

1st most people think going to the range is training. It's not. It is practicing what you should have learned in training with a professional instructor.
3rd most don't believe they need it. They have the "it can't happen to me" attitude.

It amazes me I have people tell me they can't afford it, and I read on the forum they just bought their 4th
Gun this year.

Number three is the winner

i would say money and ignorance is the main reason.the last three people i know(family) that has gotten their cc have not attempted to go practice.i have taken them to the range and paid for them or gave them ammo to help them out.they take their targets home to show off saying"not too bad" and that's the last you hear of it.dont know their point to even get their cc,one keeps it in his closet the other two leave it in the car or at home.

I don't understand the "it couldn't happen to me" attitude. If that's what you believe then why do you carry a gun? And if you don't enjoy shooting, then why do you own a gun?

I don't considering training, training. I consider it the best, most enjoyable way to spend one of my days off every week. Blow off some steam from the work week, have a whole lot of fun, and get more proficient with a tool that you could one day be depending on to save your life.

Besides the two times annually that is required for my job (I'm a security guard), I've been to the range fewer than 10 times since I bought my first gun back in '04. I want to go more, but ammo isn't cheap, particularly on the $7.75/hour that I make.

Why I don't train more-depends on what you mean by train. I do a lot of training. Why not more "formal" training?

-time
-time x availability (distance) interaction

Agreed, with one alteration: I have a kid, and I'd have to get him out of his bedroom first. I need enough of the basics to do that safely, then I'm good.

Absolutely right. I forgot to add that it is only my wife and I and no other people in house---I agree that others in house significantly changes the dynamics of what you have to do.

Gun this year.

Please, but "what if" is always mentioned and yes I cannot refute the claim--all I can tell you is, as I previously replied, I am fortunate to be what I guess you call upper middle class, and live where I choose to I live, and embrace situational awareness; I am 71 and never, ever, ever, had an inkling of anything close to a "what if"--but yes it could happen and I cannot refute same. I disagree with your comment that "going to the range is not training". My "feel" for my firearm when discharging is renewed every time I go to the range, which averages several times a month. I try to shoot at targets in a more "active" point shoot manner and although I am not "training" as I perceive it to be in your reply, it is training to me if only that I leave the range more confident of my ability to use my firearm to defend myself.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back