Why Open Carry is a bad Strategy

I carry concealed because I don't want the attention, It is better to me to not be seen as a threat or target. This affords me the advantage I think you draw from the element of surprise.
Have you not read any of the previous posts? Headbang!!

So what they are saying is that a visible gun scares them so they would rather not know if the person has a gun or not? The police are more concerned about the guns they can see than the guns that are hidden? Does that pass any common sense check whatsoever?

If the gun is more of an aversion to "bad guys" than an alarm sign or beware of dog sign on your property, than why would it not also be an aversion to "bad guys" at the public parking lot of Wal Mart, the rest area on the highway or at the ATM?

It really is astonishing how many times per year the same logic-challenged premises show up on the same forum, posted by ostensibly unconnected people who have all apparently never seen, or more significantly, never sought, the logical alternative way of viewing the world, isn't it?

In this particular case, I'd like to know from the poster why on Earth anyone should give one good crap what cops think about OC if OC is legal in the jurisdiction in which they work? If it puts them "on edge" and "immediately looks bad" when they see a citizen legally exercising their rights, they are exactly the kind of cops who give law enforcement a bad name among law-abiding citizens. Screw 'em if they don't like my legally-carried gun. Honor your oath and support the free exercise of all American's rights. The fact this needs to be said on a gun rights forum is sad to say the least, but that's not a comment on USA Carry because I know from a butt-load of years-long experience that it's similar on other gun rights forums too. It's a comment directed at cops and those who think they deserve deference when it's the exercise of The People's rights that are putting them "on edge." It is sad indeed that the people sworn to protect those rights, are put on edge when they see them being exercised.

Blues

Here's one a lot of people don't know. Police do not have the right to carry arms while in commission of their assigned duties. They have the privilege and authority to do this which they receive from us; We the People. We the People, on the other hand do have the right to bear arms... except in those communist locations of the country where the servants have somehow deemed it unacceptable and have made it illegal to do this.

I carry concealed because I don't want the attention, It is better to me to not be seen as a threat or target. This affords me the advantage I think you draw from the element of surprise.
Open carry and concealed carry have the very same "element of surprise" since it is seeing a gun, whether in plain sight on the hip or after it is pulled from concealment, that "surprises" the bad guy.

With concealed carry the bad guy has already attacked and when I "surprise" him by pulling my gun I just might also have to shoot him so I kinda like the open carry option because if the bad guy is "surprised" to see a gun on my hip and doesn't attack in the first place there is no chance I would have to shoot him.

Thing is.... you get to decide which is better.... "surprising" the bad guy by pulling out a concealed gun after the bad guy attacks... or "surprising" the bad guy with openly carrying a gun in plain sight so the bad guy doesn't attack in the first place...

I am a huge fan of the conceal carry. I work with a Law Enforcement Agency in TX and many of the Deputies don't like the concept of open carry. It puts them on edge and immediately looks bad. I do open carry at home though. Castle Doctrine says I can protect my home and I do not have to conceal on my property. It is more of an aversion to "bad guys" than an alarm sign or beware of dog sign.

This article are the laws recently passed last year in regards to CHL. Review of New Gun Laws from the 2013 Texas Legislative Session
The inadvertent display is of the most interest in my opinion.
Every wannabe tyrant understands that power comes from the barrel of a gun. Those who want to dominate know that if they are the only one who has a gun then they will be the dominate person. And they also know that showing a gun (open carrying) is an "in your face" expression of that power. Hence, because they want to dominate and control, they want to be the only one's with guns... and the only one's with the ability to show their guns as an expression of their power.

But then.... there is also another power that comes from the barrel of a gun. The power to defend against those who would dominate and control... and it is that power to defend that both tyrant and criminal view as a threat to them having... power over you. And open carry is an expression of the power to resist the tyrant and defend from the criminal.

*see my signature line below.....

Open carry and concealed carry have the very same "element of surprise" since it is seeing a gun, whether in plain sight on the hip or after it is pulled from concealment, that "surprises" the bad guy.

With concealed carry the bad guy has already attacked and when I "surprise" him by pulling my gun I just might also have to shoot him so I kinda like the open carry option because if the bad guy is "surprised" to see a gun on my hip and doesn't attack in the first place there is no chance I would have to shoot him.

Thing is.... you get to decide which is better.... "surprising" the bad guy by pulling out a concealed gun after the bad guy attacks... or "surprising" the bad guy with openly carrying a gun in plain sight so the bad guy doesn't attack in the first place...

Every wannabe tyrant understands that power comes from the barrel of a gun. Those who want to dominate know that if they are the only one who has a gun then they will be the dominate person. And they also know that showing a gun (open carrying) is an "in your face" expression of that power. Hence, because they want to dominate and control, they want to be the only one's with guns... and the only one's with the ability to show their guns as an expression of their power.

But then.... there is also another power that comes from the barrel of a gun. The power to defend against those who would dominate and control... and it is that power to defend that both tyrant and criminal view as a threat to them having... power over you. And open carry is an expression of the power to resist the tyrant and defend from the criminal.

*see my signature line below.....

I wish I could "Like" some post a THOUSAND times!

-

Wonder why it says content not available. All I tried to do was just simply point out how silly it was for someone to point out that goofy pro open carry thread.

The element of surprise definitely has merit.

On the flip side, open carry has value as a deterrence.

I have had a couple of experiences where I was approached by questionable individuals and when they got close enough to see my hand on my pistol they turned and went the other way.

Which is better? Hard to say.

The element of surprise definitely has merit.

On the flip side, open carry has value as a deterrence.

I have had a couple of experiences where I was approached by questionable individuals and when they got close enough to see my hand on my pistol they turned and went the other way.

Which is better? Hard to say.

I don’t doubt that some people would be turned away from the sight of an open carried handgun, but can you assure every potential bad guy will?

I believe in the pros and cons to both methods but today, pissing off the liberals doesn’t make our rights any safer. Sure, it used to be considered by many to go ahead and make that political statement loud and proud but do you really think that helps our case? I don’t like that gays have so much pull now that you see a lot more of it public. I liked it so much better when they kept the majority of it to themselves; now a lot more of its in our face the braver they get. Is that supposed to make us more tolerant? Is our display of our guns supposed to make us more tolerant to the libs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were legally open carrying and someone was going to start something I feel that might make me a first target.

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

If I were legally open carrying and someone was going to start something I feel that might make me a first target.

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

It just all depends on the situation and if the potential bad guy will see you as a threat or see you as an easy target. My opinion, do you want to take that chance? The bad guy may see you as an easy target just like he sees everybody else who he thinks is unarmed or he may see you as somebody he doesn’t want to mess with if he sees a pistol on your hip. Or it could go the other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Open Carry has many fans, but when it comes down to a firefight, it will fail you.

When you Open Carry, you are signaling the world that you are prepared for a fight, even if you are just bluffing!

Bad Guys are not afraid of you unless you are actually ready to fight.

And they aren't going to give you that chance.

Combat Strategy demands that you have the offensive, the edge, the element of surprise.

Tactics learned on the conventional firing range are worthless in a real fight. The Bad Guys aren't going to give you time to get ready, and sight in on them. They want to win, at your expense.

Concealed Carry is the way to go on the streets. You get the element of surprise.
I agree.
Here’s a little more to think about. Let’s say your in a convenience store at the register waiting to pay. Guy comes in acting normal, but actually has a gun in his pocket and plans to rob the store. He see’s your open carry as he gets in line behind you. Most likely, you will be shot just to eliminate the threat.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back