why not just have a spare "practice" gun, very similar to your ccw gun?

thru

Banned
then the burden of fouling and wear does not fall upon the "carry gun". I wax the ccw gun's outsides, and use LockEase graphite on the high friction areas. The wax takes care of the rust issues and seriously cuts back on blueing wear, even for use in plastic holsters. The graphite doesn't "hold" lint or grit, doesn't evaporate or drip off, either. I just use WD-40 on the practice gun, a fresh squirt or 2 every time that I go shooting. That's been sufficient, for 40 years now. I don't CARE if the practice gun malfunctions now and then. In fact, I WELCOME the practice at "clearing' such problems. I dont have to waste time cleaning it every time that I shoot, cause I'm not going to carry the practice gun, barring scenarios like I speak of in the next paragraph.

Also, if the ccw gun is seized as evidence after I am forced to shoot some punk (or is lost to me in some other way) all I have to do is clean and holster the spare. No panic about finding a replacement for the ccw gun. No screwups from using a handgun with a different "feel" or manual of arms, either. :) If the spare is down while awaiting a broken part (I keep spares of the likely offenders, so such an occurrence is quite unlikely) I can shoot the ccw gun in practice, if need be. Frankly, tho, I can just do without practicing for a month or so. That's no big deal, once you are at a certain level. Certainly it will suffice for the time needed to buy a replacement for the ccw gun.

I did this with a pair of Ruger P90DC's. The price (About $400 each) plus the fact that I liked the gun so much that I had to have a second one, led to me using these quite often, both at the range and carrying.

I carry revolvers. My small size Practice Revolver is an LCR22. You get good with it, and you will be well on your way to geing good with your J Frame or SP101.
I also have a S&W K Frame 617 as my full size practice revolver.
I am not a big fan of WD40 for guns. I believe Remington and others market a spray lube that I am sure is better than WD40 for firearms. Not a real good plan to hose a handgun down loaded either. smile:
Duplicate Firearms ?? I would rather just have different ones. Like my 2.25 Inch SP101 38 Special, and my 3 Inch SP101 357 Magnum. OR my 2 Inch Model 10, 2 Inch Model 15, and 2.75 Inch 315 Night Guard. I doubt that many of us shoot their concealed carry handgun enough to wear one out. I shoot my revolvers a great deal, and I carry daily. I rotate around and carry several during the year. I like them all, or I would not have added them to the herd. I am not real concerned about looseing one to Evidence either. I live in the country about 10 miles from Mayberry. The needle on my Threat-O- Meter just barely is off the Zero Stop where I live. Now if I lived in Detroit, Chicago, or Washington DC I might be more concerned about it ending up in Evidence. I would also Want To be carrying a Hi Capacity Tubber Ware handgun instead of a revolver.
Bob

I am trying to decide between my Ruger LC9 in a Sneaky Pete holster or my S&W M&P 9 mm in a Comp-Tac Infidel belt holster for concealed carry. Both are uncomfortable in the vehicle and not easy to take off. Any suggestions?

If you have the money to spare on a second gun identical to your carry gun, then it sounds great. The only complications are budget restraints and if you rotate out different guns on occasion. I believe in consistency, so if you have one type of gun that your gonna stick to, this is a great idea.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

That is a good idea. My only concerns would be not getting my CCW fully broken in due to primarily shooting the practice gun. There can also be some variation in the quality control process from the factory. You can have two of the same exact guns and experience a certain problem with one and not the other. It would be my luck that the CCW would be the lemon of the two. Just a thought.

I do that. I have a glock 19 and 26 and my practice weapon is a SIRT gun, based on the glock 17. They all work with my holsters. The SIRT gun is a dual laser, red for aiming and green at the point of trigger break. I turn the red off. No bad guy on tv (or good guy for that matter) is safe from my practice. I've shot the living heck out of everything in my house and have noticed a significant improvement with the range with the real deals

If you have a weapon badly carboned up, barrel, action, WD-40 will clean as well as commercial gun cleaners costing three times as much, if you have a compressor great, spray the action and barrel give the barrel a few swipes with a brass brush, a little attention to the action with q-tips or a small piece of scotch bright, then spray it down good with the WD blow everything off with the compressor a few drops of oil, reassemble, should be good to go, if you have no compressor, it can be rinsed clean with some automotive brake cleaner, it dries clean and dry, then oil, oil is personal preference, 10w-30 motor oil works fine, trust me the gun will not know the difference, I use it on everything, revolvers, semi autos, rifles, if you keep your guns cleaned like you should you will have no crap build up

If you have a weapon badly carboned up, barrel, action, WD-40 will clean as well as commercial gun cleaners costing three times as much, if you have a compressor great, spray the action and barrel give the barrel a few swipes with a brass brush, a little attention to the action with q-tips or a small piece of scotch bright, then spray it down good with the WD blow everything off with the compressor a few drops of oil, reassemble, should be good to go, if you have no compressor, it can be rinsed clean with some automotive brake cleaner, it dries clean and dry, then oil, oil is personal preference, 10w-30 motor oil works fine, trust me the gun will not know the difference, I use it on everything, revolvers, semi autos, rifles, if you keep your guns cleaned like you should you will have no crap build up

On the other hand if this does not work you can always soak your gun in a drum of Troll Cleaner :biggrin:

I understand the concept of having a "favorite" gun... I have a few safe queens that I would cry big tears if they got so much as a speck of dust on them...

And I have range guns that I use on the range just because I like to shoot them.

But I also have "working guns" and those are the ones I carry. I don't care if they get dinged, scratched, or show holster wear. What concerns me is that they go "bang" every time I pull the trigger. And the only way to make sure of that is to shoot them on the range quite often and keep them clean.

Y'all can do whatever floats your boat but it makes no sense to me to be carrying a gun that hasn't had a few thousands of rounds through it to prove it will go "bang" when it needs to go "bang"....

Stop being lazy. Clean and lube any gun you shoot. Practice with the gun you carry since it could save your life. Have another gun just for range is fine, but shoot your carry gun enough to stay used to it. I only own guns I carry and I shoot them enough to have confidence they will be dependable and accurate. Why would you not want to shoot a carry gun? So shoot them and clean/lube them, it is the proper way.
:triniti:

Are the folks at thunder ranch lazy? Not many years ago, they suggested training hard with one gun, while keeping an exact copy for daily carry that was used very little.

Calling another forum member names because he does something different than you do it, is lazy. Lol.

Join The NRA To Support The 2nd Amendment & IDPA To Develop Shooting Skills

I agree with the theory of the two guns, as it is logical and prudent to be practiced and prepared. However, it also assumes you have found the perfect gun for everything. In practice, I have ended up with a number of different guns for different needs, from tiny 380s to full size 45s. Most trend to the smaller, as I try to carry the biggest I can conceal with what I'm wearing. I'm comfortable with that because most quality guns will easily outlast me even with a lot of practice. If I do find that perfect gun, though, there will probably be 2 of them eventually.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using USA Carry mobile app

I don't think it is a good idea to have a spare just like your main CCW. I don't think you can wear out a modern firearm if it is treated and maintained properly. My 1970 vintage Taurus Model 84 38 special feels and shoots like new. If you want another CCW, get one of a different size for different times of the year. Use the larger one in winter and the smaller one in summer. I have my S & W SD9VE (Glock 19 size and weight) for winter carry and I have a Taurus TCP 738 (10.2 oz) for summer carry. They both have a lifetime warranty and will long outlive me.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back