Why is Rhode Island so gun UN-friendly (other than for the police)

SigControl2A

I have lived in this state (RI) for almost my entire life (35 yrs) have owned a few hand guns and shotguns over the years and still do. Also am a member of 2 shooting ranges, qualified many times with different calibers for the RI permit requirements. I have always wondered if I should "attempt" to try to obtain a CCW or not. I do own a business, do transport daily ultra expensive communications equipment (mainly service police and fire departments) and also most of the time carry large amounts of cash (because why not, certain places give you better deals if paid in cash) I guess the issue I have is I don't know if I would have a "perfect reason" that the AG would accept to be granted a permit. If for some reason I get denied then I would have to explain on every other app I would apply for from every other state. I would just like some feedback on this from some local citizens and LEO's if you don't mind. Also yes, I could easily apply for a local city permit that would cover the state but why am I going to pay $200-$300 for a permit that only costs $40 through the AG.

From all I've heard of RI they typically will give you the permit unless they think your up to no good, maybe they ask for statistics?. NH asked me for a reason and there 100% shall issue (Non-Res) I don't think there as bad as Mass, like refusing you because the sky is blue on a tuesday. I know that RI is technically a shall issue state, so if you were refused for some BS reason it should be an easy fight. Even MA gives them out without an issue for employment, BUT in MA if the reason for issue was employment, they would also pull it from you the second that condition changed, even if it's not up yet. I'd think you better off with Protection of Property and Life, that covers everything. You can always add to that with high dollar eq that you carry, bank deps etc. To show your a more likely target. But the base reason shouldn't be that.Keep us posted, I'm thinking of applying for a N-R RI myself.

I too was considering applying for a nonresident RI permit, because Nevada honors RI but none of the seven CCW permits I do have.

However, various posts on this forum indicate that RI, though technically "shall issue," tries hard to deny applications. So I'll wait until the "climate" changes, if it ever does.

Yes, some states do want you to state a reason, but in many cases that's just a legal technicality. At least one state even tells you how to fill in that line on the application form (write "self-protection," "all legal uses," or both).

Pistol Permits

Rhode Island is a "May Issue" state and not a shall issue state. You must have a valid reason to carry a pistol/revolver concealed and requesting it under the Second Amendment does not qualify as a valid reason. You have two choices: Go through your local police department or apply directly to the attorney generals office. Your police chief in the town that you live in must sign the application. The attorney generals office does issue non-resident pistol permits. Pay attention to detail when filling out the application.

Thanks, Chepachet. This site should change the color of Rhode Island on its map. (It's now light blue, for "shall issue to residents and nonresidents.")

When you say, "The attorney general's office does issue . . . ," do you mean it's worth applying (assuming you take care of all the "details")?

By word of statute RI is SHALL issue...BUT requires GOOD REASON...

§ 11-47-11 License or permit to carry concealed pistol or revolver. – (a) The licensing authorities of any city or town shall, upon application of any person twenty-one (21) years of age or over having a bona fide residence or place of business within the city or town, or of any person twenty-one (21) years of age or over having a bona fide residence within the United States and a license or permit to carry a pistol or revolver concealed upon his or her person issued by the authorities of any other state or subdivision of the United States, issue a license or permit to the person to carry concealed upon his or her person a pistol or revolver everywhere within this state for four (4) years from date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear an injury to his or her person or property or has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol or revolver, and that he or she is a suitable person to be so licensed. The license or permit shall be in triplicate in form to be prescribed by the attorney general and shall bear the fingerprint, photograph, name, address, description, and signature of the licensee and the reason given for desiring a license or permit and in no case shall it contain the serial number of any firearm. The original shall be delivered to the licensee. Any member of the licensing authority, its agents, servants, and employees shall be immune from suit in any action, civil or criminal, based upon any official act or decision, performed or made in good faith in issuing a license or permit under this chapter.

I guess RI leaves "any other proper reason" to the discretion of the issuer, which serves as the way to deny permits.

The AG in RI is may issue. Your local police chief is shall issue. Out of state residents have to apply through the state AG.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back