Why I chose a 9mm

goldwater58

Because if SHTF, there will most likely be ammo for it. I suppose you could stock up on other types of ammo, but if you're on foot, carrying thousands of rounds of ammo just isn't feasible.

I prefer multiple types of calibers to have around so if your dooms day theory happens, I increase my odds of finding ammo I can use. Personally I like larger rounds than 9mm. I know there are studies that say it doesn't matter what you carry. When I was in iraq, I found the 9mm wasn't as effective as I had hoped. If you have a larger caliber, you shouldn't need to carry a ton if ammo. I talk to some guys that carry 50+ rounds on them. Why? You have to remember, you are responsible for every round that comes out of that gun

9mm

In a gunfight bullet placement is critical to survival.
Practice is critical to bullet placement.
Repetition is important to practice.
Repetitive practice costs money.
9mm ammo is cheaper.
Therefore 9mm is more accurate (for me) on a fixed income.

I agree with raider-3. I like larger calibered firearms and if you make your practice count ghats all that matters. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Regardless of your caliber choice, you have made a decision that works for you and I think that's fine. The 9mm is respectable even if not the largest caliber available or the most powerful. It is by no means the weakest and is more than adequate. What I'm saying here is that I respect your choice and am glad to see you are standing up for it. I like the 9mm myself and if I was not already "set up" in .40 I'd likely go with the nine. Be safe my friend and stay in condition yellow!

9mm ammo is cheaper.

May I give my .02? I offer it not as a confrontation, but to provide some thought.

I learned something at Front Sight, having gone a number of times. It's in regard to dry practice. They offered the idea that dry practice will develop muscle memory and reflexive response in the drawing, sight picture, trigger control, etc, without ammo cost at all. It brings to you practice of releasing the firing pin right at moment of being on target without taking the time to "aim". Here's a kicker for ya, it does all this without developing any flinch problems.

At an IDPA recently, the "range guy" looked at me and said something like "hmmm, you sure got on target and shot quickly, don't see that very often". Not bragging, please, there is enough of that here already. I'm simply stating that dry practice DOES develop a shooters ability, at least for me and a few others from class that I've spoken with.

Now, having said all that it is a good idea to get to the range every now and again to verify your dry practice, and then have some fun. This will give you a chance to run your carry ammo and reload with fresh after you've then had a chance to clean/lube/inspect and care for your handgun.

9mm is fairly inexpensive, but dry practice is free AND effective! ...But get some guidance, you don't wanna practice a bad or unsafe technique!

It is your choice. Everyone has a different idea of what they are going to do if SHTF or WORL.

But in that case, mulitple calibers and multiple guns give you a better choice. I agree a 9mm is lighter than a 45 ACP or a 50BMG. :)

but in a WORL situation your going to be fighting from a high and far away position.

If I can see you comming from 100yrs +

I can smile and wave at your 9mm any day with my 308 or 30-06...Hehe.

practice and prepare...
practice, prepare, divercify ammo and firearms...You have a better chance.
fight smart, fight from far away..and reach and touch someone...it is better that way.

all good and true info. 9mm today is plenty powerful enough. Unfortunately guys in the military are stuck with ball ammo and I agree that stuff is not the right stuff for self defense. That said the new self defense 9mm will do its job if you do yours and put the rounds where they belong. .357, .40 S&W, .45ACP, 44 mag. Better yes but you still need to hit the target. Dry fire is the best cheap practice you can do and it costs nothing....

Question? When in Iraq, were you using military ball ammo or were you able to use the self-defense hollowpoint ammo that is available here in the States? If ball ammo was the only type used, I can see why you were disappointed.

Oops...try again...

Starfire:231625 said:
9mm ammo is cheaper.

So practice with your Glock 17, and carry your Glock 22 for business.

I have a cousin who spent several years in the military and he has an absolute fit if 9mm is mentioned. His entire knowledge is based on the Beretta and Nato FMJ ammo. I chose a 9mm because I was enamored with the Browning HiPower before it was offered in 40S&W. Now, I have so many 9's, it would be prohibitive to swap calibers. Guess I'll stick with the 9mm until it fails to do what I ask it to do. Given the handgun selection available now, if I were starting over, I'd probably go with the 40 but I'm not really sure it's that much better.

Question? When in Iraq, were you using military ball ammo or were you able to use the self-defense hollowpoint ammo that is available here in the States? If ball ammo was the only type used, I can see why you were disappointed.

The military is limited to NATO rounds which unfortunately is ball type ammo. Seems kinda crazy that you can lob a nuclear bomb at the enemy but can't shoot a hollow point bullet at them.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back