Why do you carry different guns?

i bet there is not anyone on this site who has enough guns. guns are like potato chips. one is never enough. i carry what my wardrobe allows. at times it is a naa 22 magnum other times it is a 38 special snubby. sometimes it is both. to each their own. just get good with whatever you carry.

Potential attackers are more heavily dressed in the winter months, especially up here in PA. That combined with me personally wearing more clothing (which makes it easier to conceal a larger firearm) allows me to carry a larger caliber firearm in the winter and a smaller in the summer.

I live in a state where open carry is legal so if my vest exposes the gun no big deal. Even easier in winter when I wear a coat over my vest. But for those in warmer climates and/or states that don't allow OC it can make sense to switch to something lighter and easier to conceal at times.

I carry the same sidearm year around (a compact SIG P229R .40S&W), normally CC in a Milt Sparks IWB VM-2. OTOH, when in OC mode, it goes in an Erik Little American Handgunner Special.

So to address the OP's question, I don't carry different weapons. I practice drawing, firing and reloading the SIG on a weekly basis...and I want the process to be totally intuitive and second nature, unencumbered by switching to different holsters and different weapons with differing locations of the safety, magazine release, etc.

Not to say that I don't use other weapons on the range, of course I do like most other members here I suspect. But I carry only one.

And I like the .40S&W round...plenty of stopping power, easily controllable recoil with accurate second shot placement in the compact SIG, easily reloadable with hard-cast Oregon Trail bullets for practice, reasonably priced brass. FWIW, the biggest reason I carry a SIG is because I handload my practice rounds with hard-cast bullets and the polygonal rifling used by the Heckler & Koch and Glock brands isn't as suitable as the conventional rifling SIG Sauer uses.

Because I can?

Actually, I've pondered your question too. I live in Vegas, and don't even own heavy winter clothing. I carry the same guns year around, varying them based on how inconspicuous I want to be, and how casual the clothing I'm wearing is. Do these Fimbulwinter dwellers feel the need for more power to penetrate the substantial winter garments of their potential adversaries?

Come on cold-weather people---warm weather minds want to know!:D

Because I can, works very well

I carry a 45 all the time winter and summer, if you spend the money and take the time you can carry concealed in any weather, shorts, t-shirt and flip flops and I still carry combat commander 45.

Actually, I've pondered your question too. I live in Vegas, and don't even own heavy winter clothing. I carry the same guns year around, varying them based on how inconspicuous I want to be, and how casual the clothing I'm wearing is. Do these Fimbulwinter dwellers feel the need for more power to penetrate the substantial winter garments of their potential adversaries?

Come on cold-weather people---warm weather minds want to know!:D
I live in Vegas too...with a second home in Florida.

In both (warm) states, I carry a S&W .38spl +P, except when I'm wearing a suit. My revolver "prints" too much in a tailored suit, so I carry a slimmer .45ACP ParaOrdinance (IWB) on those few occasions when I'm forced to "dress up".

I won't repeat a bunch of stuff that others have already said...and well said, at that..., but I'll add a comment to an existing point. Sometimes I carry smaller because it is that or nothing. The issue with smaller can be more than caliber. I shoot wee little guns (in any caliber) less accurately & slower than I do a larger gun with better ergonomics and longer sight radius. This concerns me to greater or lesser degrees based on my situation.

I had this same question for myself when I first started to carry. I had a Taurus PT145 and a Kahr CW9. Between differnt calibers, different triggers, different take down procedures, I was going nuts. I settled the issue by selling those guns and getting a 1911 in a compact size (3.5" barrel) and one in a full size (5"). The smaller one is easier to conceal with lighter clothes and the full size gives me more rounds. Both use the same ammo, holster, trigger, same everything but barrel size and grip size. Better consistancy, less "stuff" to buy.

Like everyone else on here, I have several handguns but have opted to carry only one all the time. That is my Glock 23 in a Blackhawk Serpa holster at 4 o'clock. I am a pretty big fellow and can conceal it quite well. I just got tired of changing guns with my wardrobe and the weather. I don't care what the BG is wearing, a .40 cal bullet should penetrate and cause him to reconsider his intentions toward me. If one or two rounds doesn't stop him, I figure it will be time to vacate the premises and leave behind a trail of dust.:sarcastic:

dadoo: But...... getting the "stuff" is half the fun. Now... do I have too many guns? Maybe. (Including two antiques that I purchased from friends before all the "tracking" paperwork became the vogue.) But they are all fun to shoot and MOST of them fall into tactical considerations for home, travel, carry.

On the other hand, having a "high penetrator" round might be good, in a general sence, having a lessor powered slug helps relieve one of "what is behind the target?" worries. (To a certain extent.)

While a high penetrator might be of use in a home invasion scenario (might get two for one!)..... my first response weapon in that scenario is my "combat 12 guage". (An automatic with boo-koo capacity mags are BUGs.)

The best part of not having any kids living in the house is being able to "stage" weapons where they might be needed. (In my case, every room of the house has at least one ready to go.) Kids? A whole different ball game.

GG

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back