"Why didn't you remove the bullets"

MrShotShot

From Newsbusters.org

Link Removed

Another member of the media that just doesn't get it

________

ABC's Vargas Suggests Removing Bullets Before Confronting Angry Mob
By Brad Wilmouth | April 10, 2008 - 00:47 ET

On Friday, ABC's 20/20 featured a story about a Long Island man, John White, who was put on trial for shooting a teen, Dano Cicciaro, in his driveway after Cicciaro and some friends showed up at 11:00 PM during a dispute with White's son Aaron. While the story was mostly balanced in noting the strengths and weaknesses in each side's case, at one point, Elizabeth Vargas oddly asked White why he didn't remove the bullets from his gun before confronting the group of five hostile teens: "So you grabbed it hoping to scare the boys? ... So why not take the bullets out?"

More details of the case can be found here. Below is a transcript of the relevant portion of the Friday April 4 20/20 on ABC:

ELIZABETH VARGAS: It was just after 11:10 PM, August 9, 2006. Dano Cicciaro and four of his friends pulled up outside the home of John White. According to the White family, this is what it looked like to them: bright lights shining up their driveway and several angry young men shouting outside.

SONIA WHITE, MOTHER OF AARON WHITE: I was paralyzed with fear. I never felt like that in my life before.

JOHN WHITE, FATHER OF AARON WHITE: It reminded me of a lynch mob. That's how they, that's how they acted, calling for my son.

VARGAS: There would be many disagreements about what happened that night. What is undisputed is that just before he left the garage, John White made a fateful decision. He picked up a loaded .32-caliber pistol that had been handed down to him by his grandfather.

VARGAS: When you walked outside with that gun, were you planning to use it?

JOHN WHITE: No. I wanted to repel them. I wanted them to go away.

VARGAS: So you grabbed it hoping to scare the boys?

JOHN WHITE: That's all.

VARGAS: So why not take the bullets out?

JOHN WHITE: Because it was no time. They were coming up the driveway.

What if the teens had loaded guns, would they have ask them the same question,, They were there to start trouble, Its sad when a Man/Women can't deffend there own, without some reportr making it sound as though they should of ran, and hid......Thats why I dislike the media............

Me: Because I might need them. I put them in for situations that might threaten my life or the lives of my family. This had the makings of such a situation, why should I have taken them out?

Don't know about you, but to me an unloaded gun is about as good as a rock.

And if you are fighting a fire at you house turn the water of because someone might drown. Makes you wonder if you have to pass an IQ test to be a reporter.

I was always taught that a gun is not a bluffing tool. You don't brandish a firearm only for the reason of "scaring" someone. If you bring a gun into a situation it's because you fear for your/loved ones lives. At that point it needs to be ready to go. Not "Oh crap it didn't scare them. Can you hang on one sec so I can load my gun!"

Mr. White answers make it sound like he wanted to use his firearm as a bluff.

VARGAS: There would be many disagreements about what happened that night. What is undisputed is that just before he left the garage, John White made a fateful decision. He picked up a loaded .32-caliber pistol that had been handed down to him by his grandfather.

VARGAS: When you walked outside with that gun, were you planning to use it?

JOHN WHITE: No. I wanted to repel them. I wanted them to go away.

VARGAS: So you grabbed it hoping to scare the boys?

JOHN WHITE: That's all.

JOHN WHITE: Because it was no time. They were coming up the driveway.

VARGAS: "So why not take the bullets out?"

Me: Because the powder would spill out causing a mess. Then I'd have primed brass to worry about.

VARGAS: "So why not take the bullets out?"

Me: Because the powder would spill out causing a mess. Then I'd have primed brass to worry about.

LOL nice! I would love to see a news report with some of you guys. Then again it'd probably make so much sense they wouldn't air it!

I'm of the opinion that a weapon is not to be used as an instrument with which to inflict fear, but with which to disable an assailant. If you want to *scare* someone then yell at them, fling manure, yell anthrax, or send the dog after them. If you pull a gun, the next action had better be to point and pull the trigger, or else you haven't used it correctly. A firearm is an instrument of force, not of fear.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back