Why are new guns loaded with oil

JohnLM

Most gun instruction booklets suggest when you clean your gun to put a LIGHT coat of oil on the metal parts for lube. I just bought a new gun and when I took it home to clean it was LOADED with oil. Not only that, it seemed to but dirty and this was a new gun right out the box. Have anyone ever experience this? and if so, why do they do this??:moil:

I don't know for sure... but at a guess I would say that since they are usually packed in a box lined with closed cell foam which often attracts moisture.... it's to ensure that they don't develop rust before they can be sold... I NEVER store any of my pistols IN the boxes and I have a dehumidifier in the safe.

They oil and/or grease them heavily, so that they will not get rusty during shipping or while sitting in a wholesalers warehouse.
You should always clean a new gun before using it the first time. At the very least, run a swab down the bore.
Home

I don't know for sure... but at a guess I would say that since they are usually packed in a box lined with closed cell foam which often attracts moisture.... it's to ensure that they don't develop rust before they can be sold... I NEVER store any of my pistols IN the boxes and I have a dehumidifier in the safe.
You are mostly right, at least from what I'v been told by a Springfield rep, what he said was they cannot control exactly where, or how long the guns would be stored after leaveing the factory, hence the reason for the grease, or heavy oiling

A lot of gun maker use cosmoline on there guns, it protects them rust and moisture during shipping. A good cleaning is all thats needed to remove it.

If the firearm is coming from another country or overseas they are usually heavy in gun grease to prevent the salt air of corroding the firearm. I have had Sigs come with a target showing the accuracy, yes it needed to be cleaned.

Metals do rust so the excessive oil reason. My new guns were fired and dirty and oily when I got it and the spent test bullet were in the same box they were originally shipped in.

They say it because the mgr do not know how long the guns will be stored. But I know there are gremlins at the post office who slap grease on things and tear mail up and have dogs pee on packages. So It's the gRemlins.
( NO IT'S NOT US) WE DO NOT EXIST.
SIGNED SPIKE!!

If you buy a new gun and it does not look dirty and oily then be careful and ask why it is not. A new gun from the factory will have some kind of protective oil, grease, cosmoline etc. on them to keep them from rusting or whatever until they are sold to the final owner. All new guns should be cleaned prior to firing. If one is placed on display the dealer may clean it up some but that may cause problems with all the people handling it. Think of it this way, you make a gun and place it in a box to sen our for sale. It may have to travel across the ocean, sit in a warehouse then a storage room all being transported and stored under who knows what kind of conditions and for how long. If they don't coat it in something when you finally get it after possibly months or years after being made you will refuse it because it will be rusted and look like an old used gun.

I would expect the oil is for preventing rust, and sometimes new firearms can be dirty due to the heavy oiling, and any test firing that occurs. I doubt they'd take the time to clean the guns after test firing, as usually the firing is enough to the guns a little dirty, but not filthy.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back