Why are Carry Permit's not always reciprocal with other states that permit carry?

mdigitale

Hello,

I'm new to this forum -- I just found it a few minutes ago via Google. I've recently become interested in obtaining a permit to carry license and this website looks like a very useful resource -- thank you to all who are responsible for its existence and content.

The question I have right now is with regards to "Permit Reciprocity". If I'm reading the map (USA Carry Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps) correctly, if I got my permit in Texas, the states shown in blue would also honor my permit (granted there may be some different policies for carrying in each state, but I would still be permitted to carry if I complied...) One of the states that accepts the Texas permit as valid is Minnesota. Now, if I look at Minnesota I see the states that honor Minnesota's carry permits and Texas (among others) are NOT one of them. While Texas permit holders can carry in Minnesota, Minnesota permit holders cannot carry in Texas. I fail to see how this is "Reciprocity" for Minnesota residents?

Can anyone provide some insight?

Thanks, Mike

It's not really reciprocity in that case since they are not reciprocal (both accept each others)...but I have found that most states do that. I too would like to know why it is that there isn't a US wide concealed carry permit, or that you can't have one in one state that is valid in any state that accepts a permit of some sort. One gun carrier is pretty much like another as far as paper goes. Just because you come from one state doesn't mean squat. OR and CA both refuse permits from all other states, and that's fine. But why some refuse some and not others is beyond me. I figure it's politics of some sort and how much lobbying there is in that particular state.

I am hoping to find out though. The one thing I do know, is most states accept UT and UT accepts most states...it is the closest one to a federal permit that one can get. If you can get to UT and get one, by all means. Otherwise, you're stuck getting permits in individual states to complete the jigsaw...if you can obtain them being a non-resident.

I travel a lot for work myself and I live in NY which honors nobody so I have been trying to put that puzzle together myself. Anybody got a good way of tracking all your renewal dates and keeping all your applications in line?

Usually has to do with each state's permit requirements. For instance, Idaho accepts permits from every other state. Next door in Washington, they do not accept Idahos. Reason is Idaho allows 18yr olds to obtain a permit under certain circumstances, Washington does not.

Some states require a gun safety course before issuance, others do not.

I think they just need to do a federal license since you have to be ok'd by the FBI to purchase a firearm anyway. But then the individual states wouldn't want to police that and the federal government wouldn't want to either. One of these days I have got to make it down to Utah.

I think they just need to do a federal license since you have to be ok'd by the FBI to purchase a firearm anyway. But then the individual states wouldn't want to police that and the federal government wouldn't want to either. One of these days I have got to make it down to Utah.

You can apply for the UT CFP by mail. There are instructors in just about every state. I routinely give the class here in PRHI. Only training requirement for UT is that you take the class from a UT BCI Certified Instructor. Check out the Utah BCI website: Utah Department of Public Safety for more information.

gf

I was under the impression you had to apply in person in UT to get a non-resident permit. Is that no longer the case? From what I've read of FL's, you don't have to appear in person but I haven't contacted anyone to verify. I do have an instructor I believe here in town that does the classes. Will have to check with her to verify, but I seem to remember them doing one not long ago.

I was under the impression you had to apply in person in UT to get a non-resident permit. Is that no longer the case? From what I've read of FL's, you don't have to appear in person but I haven't contacted anyone to verify. I do have an instructor I believe here in town that does the classes. Will have to check with her to verify, but I seem to remember them doing one not long ago.

Only requirement for UT is that your training is done by an instructor certified by Utah BCI. There's a link on the website that has a list of current instructors out-of-state as well as in the state of Utah. Some instructors offer fingerprinting, photography and notary services along with the UT BCI required training.

gf

It is just another way for the govt to control our lives, get more money and restrict our rights given to us in the constitution

I think it all has to do with politics... stupid annoying politics.
last I checked the 2A didn't say anything about having to pay out of pocket to exercise our rights. I could be wrong...

FL can be done thru the mail...as can VA which would give you almost the same states...but FL does not accept Non-resident permits so if you want to carry there you must have either your home state permit or that of FL.

A "Federal" permit would superceed and interfere with a states right to sovereignty. This, in all likelyhood would bring about MORE restrictions on gun ownership; not to mention the "right to carry".

However, I do think for the sake of reciprocity, something more should be done by "State" officials. Gun laws vary FAR too much between states. But, I do believe there has been a great deal of progress in the past few years toward making it easier to carry in non-resident states.

The primary holdouts have been the liberal bastions of America that want more "Federal" intervention.

(For hundreds of years most people in this country were happy with "Open" gun rules until the liberal cry babies allowed the Feds to to ammend their rights.)

IMO; the BEST thing to do is vote the cry baby libs OUT of office.

It is just another way for the govt to control our lives, get more money and restrict our rights given to us in the constitution

Technically, the constitution doesn't GIVE, it simply affirms, our inalienable rights.:pleasantry:
But I get the gist of what you're saying!:biggrin:

SNIP

(For hundreds of years most people in this country were happy with "Open" gun rules until the liberal cry babies allowed the Feds to to ammend their rights.)

IMO; the BEST thing to do is vote the cry baby libs OUT of office.

Yup, and we know when to do that......:biggrin:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back