Who Is Liable?

I shoot more in a week than the average LEO shoots in a year, my guns that I do not own are locked up in a safe except the non owned gun that stays by the bed, shotgun and pistol.

All about civil and criminal accountability. Civil liability--hands down the homeowner better think about going broke. Criminal liability---hands down all about state law and inclination of prosecutor.

FN1910

The reason you can't rent a car until you are 25 is because the insurance will not cover someone under 25. 25 or 30 to carry a gun? That rules out most of our military and a great many LEO. Be realistic.

First comment is why will insurance companies not cover someone under 25? That is the same thing just stated a different way, it still says that someone has determined that those under 25 are too big of a risk and some level of judgement is different.

Second about the age to carry being raised, I am being realistic and know that it would not happen nor am I promoting it. Just pointing out some ideas that have merit but are unworkable. As for it cutting out the military or LEO since they fall under different laws and guidelines they would not be affected.

It's a sad thing for the young girl. The fact is, he knew better. If you play with matches, you're going to get burned. When you play with a gun, someone gets killed. Unless the kids has some kind of mental disability, he knows the difference between right and wrong. He must pay for he stupidity and neglect. My guess is they will try to charge him with voluntary manslaughter.

One year just doesn't seem like justice. I'm sure Garcia feels bad and didn't mean to shoot girl. But the fact is, her life is now over and that's something that can't be changed. No apologies will ever fix this and it cannot bring her back. One year for negligently destroying a family is unjust.

I don't know what the law says, but as far as I'm concerned the 16 year-old boy is responsible. I don't know what everyone else remembers about being 16, but I sure as hell knew right from wrong and took responsibility for my actions.

JMO
Steve

i believe he should be sentenced for his actions, like mentioned above i knew at 16 years old what was right from wrong....

What is sad is people using the stupid actions of an individual to pontificate about what age a person should be able to carry a gun. The answer is that depends as every person is different. Arbitrary age rules do nothing except infringe on the right to possess and bear arms.

There is an age, be it 16 or 19 but less than 21, where an individual is considered a minor. Obviously many from the replies, including myself, fully believe that knowing right from wrong and being held responsible certainly is the case for probably anyone over--I don't know/pick a number--say 10 years old. The law, however, requires a number to differentiate between a "minor" and an "adult" and that ultimately will decide the fate of the individual, regardless of what we think or say. Certainly there have been cases of murder etal where 16 or 17 year olds have been tried in adult courts. For certain, individuals younger than say 16 have been tried in juvenile court and have been sent to juvenile facilities at least until they are 21. So far, we are talking criminal liability--do not forget that civil liability will be in play big time regardless of the age. Whose firearm was it? Why was it accessible? Whoever that "adult" is should be very worried not only about prison time for manslaughter but for whatever family fortune he may have accumulated. There is no excuse for the adult, and, IMO and most of the repliers, no excuse for this individual.
As a second thought, some repliers have mentioned and are convinced that their children (ages a lot less than 16 and some repliers less than 10) are properly trained and "will never touch daddy's gun". To each his own but IMO, there is nothing smart or responsible about a 10 year old or younger; that is why the law differentiates between an adult and a minor--I truly believe that, as a parent, you really believe what your are saying and I trust your judgement with a shoulder shrug, but I still think firearms should, in no way, shape or form, be placed anywhere in a home where a youngster can gain access.

Just think!

If the parent had the fire arm concealed with him or her, there would have been no shooting.

Why wasn't it used for self defense and carried.

I'm prosecuting the homeowner/gunowner. He'll also probably be sued by the victims family.

NRA Rules state:

Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.
Many factors must be considered when deciding where and how to store guns. A person's particular situation will be a major part of the consideration. Dozens of gun storage devices, as well as locking devices that attach directly to the gun, are available. However, mechanical locking devices, like the mechanical safeties built into guns, can fail and should not be used as a substitute for safe gun handling and the observance of all gun safety rules.

Anyone who thinks kids can be trusted to act like responsible adults when it comes to firearms, alcohol, cars, prescription drugs, and sex is a fool.

There is no excuse for a firearm be left unsecured in a home.

We can't even expect lots of adults to act responsible when it comes to handling firearms, including adults at gun shows, at firing ranges, at gun stores, and even highly trained leo's.

An adult who relies on the "maturity and judgment" of 16-year-old to excuse his own negligence in securing a firearm should be prosecuted for stupidity.

Nonsense:no: Some of us have a weapon on us all the time, and some of us have guns in every room in the house, and some of us have no kids at home. We, thankfully, have the ability to do what seems best to us in our own homes, without the government sticking its big fat nose in our business. Many of us grew up with guns and shooting from a young age by responsible parents. So, no thanks to your one size fits all, government enforced nanny state ****

Absolutely, w/o qualifiers, the 16 YO is responsible. A person of that age is licensed to drive a vehicle in many places and therefore, considered to be responsible ofr his/her action on an independant basis. Anyone old enough to drive but so irresponsible as to mishandle a firearm is 100% liable for the outcome.
A short trial and quick execution would be the best result.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back