Whitetail deer vs. suppressed .308...range?

Clemson12

Hopefully in a few month's I'll be the proud owner of Remington's SPS Tactical AAC-SD rifle, and hopefully not long after that I can get me a suppressor for it (probably from AAC also...unless you guys know of better quality suppressors for around the same price). My question is this though...if I'm using subsonic ammo, would the bullet be moving too slow to be used for hunting whitetail deer?

Why would you want to use sub-sonic ammo while hunting? The suppressor use while hunting should eliminate the need to wear hearing protection and keep your hearing more keen to noises around you like other hunters, and game on the move.

Why would you want to use sub-sonic ammo while hunting? The suppressor use while hunting should eliminate the need to wear hearing protection and keep your hearing more keen to noises around you like other hunters, and game on the move.
And then throw subsonic ammo on top of that and you've got even less sound. I guess I'm just not understanding your point. If you're pushing to keep hearing keen, than subsonic ammo would be an even bigger plus...

I think I may have answered this in another post. The subsonic ammo for .308 is going to likely perform like FMJ on a deer. Are you in a situation where you can positively recover the animal? Even under 100 yards, the best you can hope for is a complete pass through with very little expansion. So basically, less internal damage than an arrow since a broadhead is usually 1"+ of cutting diameter. This combo is meant for close range head/spine shots.

You most likely will have to hand load with a lighter bullet designed to perform at expected downrange velocities. I would look in a good reloading manual or use one of the on-line ballistic calculators.
Actually, I would use standard ammo but since it's all theoretical at this point, I recommend you wait until you have the rifle, then try them both. It may not be worth the trouble since the deer won't be shooting back.

And then throw subsonic ammo on top of that and you've got even less sound. I guess I'm just not understanding your point. If you're pushing to keep hearing keen, than subsonic ammo would be an even bigger plus...

The db drop at the barrel to suppress the blast of the round going off is much more different than the sonic crack of a bullet flying through the air. The bullet achieves sonic flight down range of the barrel and far outside the hearing damage area of the shooter.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back