Which rifle?

RugerP345

I'm considering buying a Henry. The shop doesn't have a 30-30 but can order it. They have a 44 mag.

What is the benefit or limitations of the two? Which one would I choose, and why?

I'm considering buying a Henry. The shop doesn't have a 30-30 but can order it. They have a 44 mag.

What is the benefit or limitations of the two? Which one would I choose, and why?

You haven't stated what your intention is for the rifle.

I don't have any experience with Henry rifles specifically..
It looks like the 30-30 is new for them..

Off hand, I would go with the 30-30. This is a serious all around hunting cartridge, but again you haven't said why you want the rifle.
The plus to the 44 Mag or .357 or .45 colt caliber rifles would be if you have a matching caliber pistol..
Then you have one size bullet for two weapons. If you reload ammo, even better..
But if serious about a serious rifle caliber.. 30/30...

Also IF you are hunting, who are you hunting with?? What caliber to they carry?? Again, similar ammo between multiple guns is a plus...

I know that the Winchester 30/30 was significantly lighter than the an equivalent Marlin rifle. This can make a difference if you are lugging it around all day..
Does the Henry have the possibility of Scope Mounts??

Just some random thoughts / considerations..

You haven't stated what your intention is for the rifle.

I don't have any experience with Henry rifles specifically..
It looks like the 30-30 is new for them..

Off hand, I would go with the 30-30. This is a serious all around hunting cartridge, but again you haven't said why you want the rifle.
The plus to the 44 Mag or .357 or .45 colt caliber rifles would be if you have a matching caliber pistol..
Then you have one size bullet for two weapons. If you reload ammo, even better..
But if serious about a serious rifle caliber.. 30/30...

Also IF you are hunting, who are you hunting with?? What caliber to they carry?? Again, similar ammo between multiple guns is a plus...

I know that the Winchester 30/30 was significantly lighter than the an equivalent Marlin rifle. This can make a difference if you are lugging it around all day..
Does the Henry have the possibility of Scope Mounts??

Just some random thoughts / considerations..
many a deer and gun fight were won with the 30-30:rolleyes:

Deer hunting.
I don't have another gun that fires a .357, .45 colt, or .44 mag round so the redundancy wouldn't benefit.

I was just not sure if the ballistics of the 30-30 vs. 44 mag made one better than the other. I had a Winchester 94 in 30-30 a decade or so ago. Really liked it.

If you're really interested in a lever action have a look at a Browning BLR,they used to make em in 308,7mm-08,and just a host of other calibers,and the price isn't that much more than the Henry. You'll get alot more knockdown,alot flatter trajectory,all wrapped up in a flatter shooting rifle. I had one in 308 back in the ancient times,wish I had it back too. Not to worry tho,I've learned my lesson,when a firearm arrives at my house,its out of circulation.

I would go with the 30-30. Good rifle for anything in the East, and a good Non-black gun self defense rifle. Ballistics are equal or better than the 7.62X39 and aren't as scary to the politicos. Having shot both makes, and owning 2 M94s and an 1894 Marlin 44, I would go with a good used Winchester since you are familiar with them. A good used will be the same price as a Henry, and spare parts are plentiful and easy to find after being around 100 years or so. I picked up one of my 94s in like new shape made in "75 for only $300.00 off Auction Arms last year.

30/30 for hunting, 44 or 45 for Cowboy Action. Home defense, the pistol calibers have higher magazine capacity.

I have a Marlin .44 1894 carbine. It carries well in the woods, shoots well and packs a heck of a punch. I enjoy poking hole in paper with it, just plain fun to shoot. I like the idea of having a rifle that holds ten in the mag. I don't have a scope on it, prefer the open sights for now.
I do not htink you could go wrong woth either the .357 or .44. both rounds will do well for knocking down a deer from 150 yards on in.( for my shots)

Willie

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back