which pistol would you recommend for my situation??

Thanks for all your replies; they have given me more info to research and I learn about through "hearing" your exchanges. Having 2 pistols might be the way to go....BTW, it would be black bear country I am in, Northern MN. I live in MPLS but run up North in Duluth area on trails too regularly.
But about the availability of the smallish .380's? I am having trouble finding a new or used pistol that will be a good running pistol. Seems they are scarce as 'hens teeth' right now. I have my name in for a new/used at a local gun store and have 2 licensed firearms guys looking for me too. No luck in the past months in coming up with a .380 lightweight.
Any thoughts?
RunnerGuy

The lightweight 357 should do for blackies and running. Just practice with 38spl and save the hot 357s for defense.
One of the super lightweight ones will be fine as long as you don't expect it to be a range gun. You won't feel the recoil if you really need to use it.:no:

Any of the major brands should be fine. If the money is an issue I have heard good things about Rossi and Taurus revolvers.

Seems they are scarce as 'hens teeth' right now. I have my name in for a new/used at a local gun store and have 2 licensed firearms guys looking for me too. No luck in the past months in coming up with a .380 lightweight.
Any thoughts?
RunnerGuy
You'll have no trouble finding one on gunbroker, or at a decent gun show. Same goes for the ammo. The price really won't be too bad either.

Thanks for all your help. I just bought a new RUGER LCP that weighs 12 oz loaded (less than a water bottle filled) for my little running waistpack. Also some potent pepper spray for the dogs that trouble me sometimes. That is my Conceal pistol.
I will sometime pick up a used big pistol like a .40 or .45 caliber for home defense or for hunting or bear country.
That little Ruger in a Uncle Mike's pocket holster slides into my front pants pocket just like a billfold and I can pull it out and chamber a bullet in a second.
I have been reading about incidents of attacks and read one that sobered me up.... the story I read was of a guy like me running in the country and a car full of thugs gave him grief. He kept running but they came back to him later and doused him with gasoline, and lit him. No witnesses, no real evidence. He died and they are still out there.
That one gave me reason to pause and now I will carry the little pistol with self defense ammo in it when I run long:fie::

One in the pipe

Get a billfold type pocket holster and keep one in the pipe. The double action on the LCP/P3AT is the same as a revolver except if it doesn't fire you will need to do the tap/rack/bang drill.

Thanks for all your help. I just bought a new RUGER LCP that weighs 12 oz loaded (less than a water bottle filled) for my little running waistpack. Also some potent pepper spray for the dogs that trouble me sometimes. That is my Conceal pistol.
I will sometime pick up a used big pistol like a .40 or .45 caliber for home defense or for hunting or bear country.
That little Ruger in a Uncle Mike's pocket holster slides into my front pants pocket just like a billfold and I can pull it out and chamber a bullet in a second.
I have been reading about incidents of attacks and read one that sobered me up.... the story I read was of a guy like me running in the country and a car full of thugs gave him grief. He kept running but they came back to him later and doused him with gasoline, and lit him. No witnesses, no real evidence. He died and they are still out there.
That one gave me reason to pause and now I will carry the little pistol with self defense ammo in it when I run long:fie::

Great choice! Get yourself some Buffalo Bore (BB) +P 380 ammo loaded with 90 gr Gold Dot HPs. You can get this ammo at any Cabela's. This makes the little 380s (P3AT and LCP) more than the equal of +P 38 spls for self defense.

What type of firearm should you get?

I have worked in many gun shops over the years, but you need to get somthing that fits you.My recamendation is go to a local indoor range, try a few pistols out.If the damn thing is not contrable and you cant hit the target, whats the point? You are trying to get the best of both worlds, personal protection from people and wild animals. Its possible to do, researh ballistics and calibers. You may want to look at a for inch 44 mag Smith and Wesson revolver. This would cover the bear issue and people issue also. You could shoot 44 special ammo in this too.
Or you may want to purchase two pistols, the 44 for hunting and hiking, and a Glock model 23, 40 cal or a 45 for a carry gun while out on the town. What ever you do, dont use the smaller caliber gun for shooting animals. Evan bear, you may piss them off and you will end up being mauled or worse killed.
As a wise old Alaskan guide asked me once, Is the front sight filed down on that small caliber pistol you have? No,I replyed. Why? He then said You may want to do that, so when the bear shoves up your ass, it will not hurt so much. What Im saying is always use a bigger gun when nessary.
Be safe and use your head before you use any firearm, it could save you tons of money in legal fees. Good luck.:butcher:

Ammo costs.

Ammo has been tuff to come by in certain calibers. You may want to consider reloading your own ammo. 380 ammo has been hard to get in Washington state. My buddy at a shop in MO, cant get the 380 ammo. Heres a soure in Federal Washington for guns. He is the cheapest one around. He does carry alot of different types of carry guns. Its called Federalway Discount Guns. Call them, he could do an FFL transfer for you. He carrys HK, Glock, Ruger, Smith and Wesson, and alot more quilty firarms. By all means, avoid cheap pieces of shit. It could be a safety issue also.Good Luck!:fie:

Ditto, HK USP 40 Cal

The most important is to be sure you can hit the target with whatever you use. :biggrin:

LCP is a great little gun ... congrats. A great leather holster for it with a billfold look for pocket carry is available at www.pocketholsters.com. I have one for my P-3AT and one for my LCP with CT Laser and they are great.

Think about carrying it with one chambered though? If you are out jogging and some badguy is going to approach you, you are already distracted and probably not noticing him first ... do you really think he will give you the time to rack one?

Remember these little guns are meant for close up and personal defense, usually about seven feet or less, and the proper usage is draw, point and fire (notice there is nothing about aim there).

In most cases you do not even want to take the time to raise the gun to eye level or assume any sort of "shooting stance" or any of that ... yet alone to rack the slide.

Now for bear country, you may want to consider one of those little stroller/trailers with the bicycle wheel in front that people pull their little tykes in ... only load it up with a S&W 500 and a few extra speed loaders:pleasantry:

K.i.s.s.

As a new shooter and keeping in line with the KISS theory I would only recommend a wheel gun.

Semi auto if you pull the trigger and it goes click, you have a bunch of malfunction drills to preform, tap rack, if it jams there are yet more, dropped mag, pressed out of battery......
Revolver if it goes click pull the trigger again....

Semi auto Laser grips are only available for some models
Revolver, you can get laser grips for almost any one....

Small Semi auto, 9mm .380 7-10 rounds, small but some brands are prone to jams, SS, blue and some may have polly frames...
Revolver, .357 5-8 rounds (except some .22's which can go more) SS, Blue, Titanium, Scandium, just remember the lighter the gun the more felt recoil....

.357 is a decent SD round, you can shoot .38 specials they are cheaper and easer on the hand at the range, you can buy shot shells for close up nuisance rounds,

9mm OK as a SD round
.380 some what less
.357 significantly hotter...
.38 not as.....
Why do I compare the 9, .380, .357, and .38 they are all the same dia bullet, and keeping with your cal choice.... but in a SD situation it all boils down to shot placement, which boils down to practice.....

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back