Which one??????

bigeking

I have a Kimber 45 auto with a 3in. barrel. I have been looking at different carry holsters, but I can not decide between a leather and a fabric one. Which one do you have, and why did you choose it?

Thanks in advance,

I have a 4" Kimber .45 and I use a Tucker Gunleather IWB holster. It's very comfortable. It's leather lined kydex.

I use a Hi Noon Slide Guard, it's an OWB holster with a side guard to keep it from rubbing your side, or keeping your sweat from the gun. It fits tight against your side and rides high, so it conceals well for me. I have that same holster for my 3" Kimber, one for my 4" Wilson and one for my MK9 Kahr.

High Noon Holsters

crossbreeeb

I carry a crimson pro carry (4") everyday dealing with coustomers
I have never been noticed. Before that I tried everything from. Sholder holstrs to clothes from nra with built in holsters nothing worked my last holster was a galco summer... iwb hated it. It always layed away from my body and made it very noticble. I almost traded my kimber and got a 380 .... then I tried the crossbreed wow total concealment and comfort although I do wear a tshirt underit to preclude chafing I carry with it 12hrs a day seven days a week. Only downside is that it takes a month to get it

I vote neither ... when I carry my UCII, it's in a Fobus kydex paddle holster. Easy on, easy off, never comes off the waist during draw, can also be used as cross-draw since the cant is fully adjustable to fit YOU perfectly ... and it's cheap, less than $40 if I remember correctly, and sweat and sun can't damage it ... I love mine ...

i've used a Minotaur MTAC IWB hybrid holster for several years with my UCII and highly recommend it...
this is (hopefully) a link to the COMPTAC website (if not, just Google it):
Link Removed

Crossbreed / Kholster

I use either Crossbreed Holsters "Supertuck" or a Kholster. I prefer the Kholster. Why?
A) I like being able to tuck my shirt between the gun and the clips. This means that you can wear it with pretty much anything. I don't have to tuck in when wearing a jacket or sport coat.
B) The kholster has a huge paddle that protects your ribs from being rubbed raw.
C) They both have many adjustments to tilt the gun forward or backward, or anywhere in between. The kholster will adjust from a radical forward sweep, to almost flat (grip upward for small-of-the-back carry)
D) They are both fitted to your strong side.

Other options:
1) Waist packs- they are ok, except for, just like shoulder holsters, you sweep everyone around you and yourself, too.
2) OWB holsters: Leather is ok, but after a while, leather breaks down and soft leather can get into the trigger guard.
Kydex, plastic, etc: Paddle holsters are great, but not very conceal able. They 'print' very badly.
3) Underwear / Thunderwear-type holsters are great in concept, but its tough to present and especially when sitting down (on your couch, in the car, etc)

Things to avoid:
1) Shoulder holsters, especially horizontal "Miami Vice" type. When you present the gun, you sweep anyone behind you, anyone to your 'gun side' (and probably your own arm). It takes more time by almost 3/4 of a second. (yes, we use a timer to get these numbers.)Straps look like bra straps through a shirt or light jacket. For the ladies, this is ok. For men....you get the point.
2) Cross-draw holsters. Same reasons as above.
3) Cheap flimsy nylon holsters and cheap flimsy leather holsters. The holster collapses inward when you present the gun. One guy shot himself in the leg because the soft leather collapsed inward into the trigger, thus pressing the trigger and BOOM! I'm looking for the article for you. Cheap holsters are attractive when you are on a budget, but saving a couple of bucks isn't worth an accident.
4) Ankle holsters- Takes too long to present. You need to stop moving, bend over, roll up your pant-leg, release the strap, stand back up, then present the gun. How many steps is that? Too many!
5)T-shirt holsters: Great concept- but make sure you read about shoulder holsters above. Also, think about having a COMPETENT tailor change a button-down shirt to snaps and sewing the buttons outside the snaps. The shirt LOOKS like it is buttoned, but you can rip the snaps open to access your gun. Read about shoulder holsters above.

Considerations:
* Look at your wardrobe-
1) for IWB carry, you will need to buy pants a size or two bigger than usual, or those with elastic waistbands.
2) Shirts- It is not considered a good idea to wear light-colored shirts, whether IWB or OWB holsters. Dark shirts camouflage the grip better.
3)Shirts / jackets- If you leave your shirt un-tucked, make sure the tails are long enough to cover the gun.
-I wear a lot of sport coats- They work with non-printed (no graphics) t-shirts, polo shirts, and dress shirts equally well and look nice. I buy my sport coats with a larger cut, so as not to "print" through a sport coat (any shirt or jacket) that is tight. Shirts, jackets, etc should be "generous" fit.

I consider myself to be well-educated because I have hundreds of dollars invested in crappy holsters I'll never use again. I would like to save you money by sharing the lessons I learned the hard way (expensive way). Don't waste money on crap!

I hope this helps someone somewhere...

I actually carry a Link Removed "plastic" paddle and absolutely love it.

I've tried several (including leather and fabric), but this is one of the best snug holsters I've ever owned. (if you do not like ITW type)

What I like about it is while it's a nice tight fit and grip, it will not wear in and loosen up.

I returned the "roto" because it added about an inch of outward swagger.

Anyway, while it's got a cheap price tag, I think it's one of the best hidden gems out there for a Kimber UC.

Currently have 2 IWB holsters for the Ultra Raptor - Galco Summer Comfort(all leather)general use, with a Crossbreed Supertuck when I want to tuck my shirt. Both are comfortable and hold the gun well.

I prefer leather, I own a kydek holster but it wears on the bluieing which I don't like. The nylon holsters by Uncle Mike are ok but are very stiff.

regarding wear on blueing

I prefer leather, I own a kydek holster but it wears on the bluieing which I don't like. The nylon holsters by Uncle Mike are ok but are very stiff.

I had a similar issue with many of my guns. Had several done with Dura Black resin. Pretty cool stuff, and not too expensive. Try Rock Your Glock if nobody can do it locally. They do things other than Glocks by request. Cheers!

Also had a conversation with my boss, who also said the same things I said about carry methods. I will prod him more for extra info for you all- will keep you posted.

After years of buying too many holsters to count, I've finally found the 3 that are all that I personally need.

My first, and preferred holster, is the DeSantis Mini Slide if I'm wearing either a button down shirt or a jacket. The DeSantis holds your weapon high and tight to the body making concealment under a button up shirt very easy. Although the color and/or pattern of the shirt will make a difference.

If wearing a t-shirt or anything else that would not facilitate using an OWB holster then I use the Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe. By far the most comfortable IWB holster in my opinion.

The other holster I use is Smart Carry for the times I'm wearing something like basketball shorts or anything that a belt cannot be used with. It is "very" deep concealment so it takes some practice to get a good draw on your weapon (It will "completely" hide your gun and be undetectable even shirtless). But if your wearing those types of loose shorts it's much easier than with something like jeans.

By the way all of these I use with that same full size auto(Ruger SR9).

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back