Which is the best AR15 for the money

HK4U

I am considering adding an AR15 to my family of firearms. One brand that I have looked at is Stag Arms. What do you know about this one and any others. Which brands do you recomend and are there any that you would advice against. Any advice would be appreciated as these are not cheap.

Build it!

Bushmaster and Colt are good Kinda higher priced. DPMS is priced alittle lower and I've heard good things about them. Not sure how mechanical you are but building one isn't that hard and you'll save more. I just put together my first one month or so ago. Put 200 rounds through it and have not had one issue. I put together the equivalent to the bushmaster ultra lightwieght model plus some extra's. Bushmasters was $1200 and I have about $800 into mine. Check out AR15.com its a great source of info. If you have any question feel free to ask. I'll try to answer.

I've just bought my first Stag lower. It is excellent quality when compared side by side with the Colt. I haven't bought the rest of the rifle yet.:eek:

If you have a good gun store close look at used. Lots of good little used guns out there.

Stag Receivers are very good. I have a couple that I built and the upper and lower matches perfectly. The only thing you really have to look out for are the barrels. What ever brand receiver it has make sure it has a Chrome lined barrel. They will last you a long time and will take a lot of abuse. Other than that go for the price and the looks! Take it from someone that has built over 200 AR's, most in the 80's, lower receivers just have different brand names with some having a small cosmetic change on the outside.

chrome line

Stag Receivers are very good. I have a couple that I built and the upper and lower matches perfectly. The only thing you really have to look out for are the barrels. What ever brand receiver it has make sure it has a Chrome lined barrel. They will last you a long time and will take a lot of abuse. Other than that go for the price and the looks! Take it from someone that has built over 200 AR's, most in the 80's, lower receivers just have different brand names with some having a small cosmetic change on the outside.

+1 for the Chrome lined barrels. Its worth the extra money. Unless you go stainless.

Jc40

For those that have built their own.What would you say the savings would be compared to buying one new.I know there are several brands,but ball park,and how would you rate the degree of difficulty for an inexperienced person to build one.I ask because next year i am interested in getting one and have never built anything like that before.

Building your own is a piece of cake. Shop around and pick up parts when they go on sale. Check gun shows, You may find uppers and lowers already built for a good price. I can build one from scratch in about an hour. The only special tools you need is a barrel wrench and barrel blocks or receiver block. You can lock the barrel in a vice with the barrel blocks. The best way is to use a receiver block and clamp the receiver in the vice. You need to do this to torque the barrel and line up the gas tube hole and barrel nut. Headspace is built in. It's between the locking lugs and the chamber of the barrel. I have never see an AR15 or a M16 with a bad headspace and I've inspected 100's of 1000's of M16's!

+1 for what Red Hat said. It wasn't hard at all and the best part is you get exactly what you want. If you want a M4 profile middy on a slick side upper...... Thats what you get. AR15.com has some great stickys that show assembly step by step, including pictures. Here is what my first build has:

Anvil Arms Lower - $120
DPMS Lower Parts Kit - $47.49
Falcon Industries ERGO sure grip - $16.29
6 position Buttstock - $55.00
DPMS stripped A3 flattop upper - $80.99
DPMS Port Door Assm. - $4.49
DPMS Foward Assist Assm. - $9.49
DPMS Charging Handle - $16.99
Bushmaster Bolt Carrier Assm. - $123.99
A.R.M.S low profile flipup rear sight - $95.00
Bushmaster Ultra Lightweight 16'' Barrel Assm Chrome Lined 1-9 twist - $230.00

Total=$799.73

When I went to Bushmaster site their sugg. retail price on their ultra lightwieght A3 rifle was $1215.00. So I got exactly what I wanted for less.

The other nice thing is you don't have to come up with the $1000.00 up front. Buy up pieces when its on sale or you have the money and before you know it you have a complete rifle.

Hope this helps.

Rock River Arms
http://www.rockriverarms.com/

Lock it !
thumbsup.gif

I have a 16" Tactical CAR with a few options for my liking. The pricing for the time was cheaper than most of the bigger names (Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt). And the trigger is the best! I have had a few people that are real familiar with AR's shoot mine and all they do is rave about the trigger and accuracy.

At 100 yards with a scope and some decent ammo, under an 1" for 5 shots is easy. Also, using my EOTech holosight and a sandbag, I have placed 5 shot groups consistently at about 1.5 inches.

spartan2.gif

I am considering adding an AR15 to my family of firearms. One brand that I have looked at is Stag Arms. What do you know about this one and any others. Which brands do you recomend and are there any that you would advice against. Any advice would be appreciated as these are not cheap.

BTW - If you haven't found it yet. Check out ar15.com and Link Removed

rockon.gif

Jc40

I guess i will start looking into parts and see if i will end up building my own or purchasing one.I appreciate all the information from everyone.Sounds like building one would be a great project for me and my son since he keeps telling me i should get one so we can take it to the range.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back