Which is better? Protect yourself/family or remove criminal from face of earth?

Poor criminals

I don't believe anyone should relish the opportunity to kill someone. But if someone comes at you or your family with a weapon, they are a criminal by the nature of their actions, period. I don't care what their reasons are, they have obvious evil intentions. If they are deterred or even caught and incarcerated, there will still likely be a future victim of this perpetrator. I have worked for the Dept of Corrections for over 20 yrs and have seen so many rap sheets proving as much. And prison is a joke with cable TV, weights, rented movies, and food for purchase(ice cream, burgers, pizza, candy).

2 comments here. First off I don't understand the mindset of so many people on these gun forums with the whole "two in the chest one in the head" mentality. If the assailant is drawing on you and it becomes life or death then yes, I get that, however it seems like that's just the plan waiting to be put into action against ANYTHING regardless of the actual threat level. Let's face it, more often than not drawing your pistol alone should be deterrent enough and unless you're at risk of being fired on your shot placement should be to cripple and contain, not end life. That's just how I feel anyway. It basically goes hand in hand with the .45 preachers. Just because someone is a criminal or violent doesn't make us God.

Secondly open carry just looks silly :p not only that but guns make most people nervous by nature and I understand that its our right to defend ourselves and if you feel comfortable while oc then so be it, I just think that consideration for the people around us should be somewhat important. They are our neighbors, friends, family, mothers, fathers and so on too. Swapping the holster from your belt to your iwb shouldn't matter all that much. Just my opinions! We are all entitled to our own and it doesn't make any of us right!

I do not shoot to wound or brandish my firearm to prevent a crime its not a show piece its a deadly weapon to prevent my loss of life or limb and or my families so if I pull it I use it its not my fault mr bad ***** wanted to commit suicide my God knew the path he was taking and understands my actions plus hes forgiving so Im ok

With respect to open or concealed carry, If someone is out to make a victim of someone, what better target than someone openly carrying? The criminal only has to catch the person off guard(maybe just push them down) and rob them of their $500-$1000 handgun, which is far more money than someone usually has in their wallet or purse. To me its an invitation as much as a deterrant.

Some people just cannot resist the open carry v. concealed carry discussion...
or the chance to bash open carriers...

Cotillion, Im not trained to cripple and contain.

What if Im killed while trying to cripple the perp? I missed his leg and now my family are at risk???

Im also not a good enough shot to make the 3rd a head shot in thoes circumstances. So.... that leaves me with a few good holes in the center mass as my best option. While I dont think about killing and its not a desire. Sometimes its simply best to dispatch the problem.

I shoot to stop, if BG breaking into my house gets by the trained dogs then he will be shot two center mass, some BG's now wear billistic vest as such third to head stops him cold. Or I could dial 911 very slowly while the dogs do their job. Do not care what his past history is, I am protecting my home and family.

Aha! I found the other post I was looking for!

A well-written and well thought-out argument in favor of open carry, with very valid points as to deterrence of crime. In replying to another forum thread about concealed carry, I learned something about myself - I've got some serious passive-aggressive issues. I (currently) HAVE to carry concealed and cannot carry openly (in Florida). I was advocating "deep concealment" with no "printing", and I learned that my own reasoning for that is that I would like to surprise, ambush, and preferably kill, lawbreakers who want to prey on me or my family, or other honest people. I would PREFER not to simply deter them, which means sending them down the road to prey on others - I want them GONE and I'm willing to take the risk that it might be me instead. I was a little surprised by that insight, but I have to own up to it. I think that may be the real argument for concealed carry instead of open carry - to kill lawbreakers instead of deterring them. It puts law-abiding citizens at risk, but when has that ever been NOT true? So getting a concealed carry permit is simply acknowledging the truth that, in the end, WE THE PEOPLE are ALWAYS responsible for our own protection. The buck stops with us!

---------
On an unrelated note:

Cotillion, Im not trained to cripple and contain.

What if Im killed while trying to cripple the perp? I missed his leg and now my family are at risk???

Im also not a good enough shot to make the 3rd a head shot in thoes circumstances. So.... that leaves me with a few good holes in the center mass as my best option. While I dont think about killing and its not a desire. Sometimes its simply best to dispatch the problem.

I completely agree, Rich M. My goal is to stop the threat...and the most effecient means for me to do that is to shoot center mass. I am also going to use the tool that is most effective at stopping the threat, so for me that would be .45 ACP. My choices are completely based upon: #1 having the possibility of deterrence first. #2 shooting in a manner and with the caliber that is most likely to both hit and stop the target in the shortest time possible, with the least chance of collateral damage.

A few opinions,

Open carry may or may not act as a deterrent. But: It can also act as a catalyst. A criminal who wants a pistol sees the Open Carrier and knows who to assault to get one. It's the same thing as flashing a big wad of hundred dollar bills. Advertising.

Let me start by saying, that while, IMO, the "OC-gun-grab" scenario is unlikely to happen, I agree that it is a possibility, and could potentially happen.

However, I must disagree that OC is as inviting as "flashing a big wad of hundred dollar bills."
I have to imagine that *most* **criminals** would at least recognize a level of increased risk associated with trying to rob an armed individual, and the thoughts of being seriously wounded or killed while doing so would inevitably, if even breifly cross one's mind. (Read: If this doesnt work out, I will likely be shot. Or, What if he shoots me?)
On the other hand, the odds of being killed or seriously wounded by a big wad of hundred dollar bills are significantly less.

Wasn't bashing open carriers. Just a preference and food for thought I guess.

I agree, YOU weren't bashing open carriers. Here's food for thought...

I have been an instructor for quite a few years, and the director the NFTA for the last couple of those and all the places, training, and people that I have talked to I can't honestly ever remember when I have heard of a gun being taken from an open carrier. Still *could* happen.

Seems like a person has a greater chance of getting killed by a flower pot pushed off a roof by a monkey....

BBC News | SOUTH ASIA | Monkeys create havoc in Delhi

Well, at least in India..... :biggrin:

Seems like a person has a greater chance of getting killed by a flower pot pushed off a roof by a monkey....
Well, at least in India..... :biggrin:

I almost incorporated this into my post, but didnt want to steal your wicked awesome line...

Milligan23:227993 said:
With respect to open or concealed carry, If someone is out to make a victim of someone, what better target than someone openly carrying?

A better target would be one that does not pose a risk to their lives. If you had to fight someone, who would you pick, Gandhi or the Rock?

JohnLM:227942 said:
I think if the BG just see the gun, in most cases that is all that is needed

Sorry man, but you have been added to the complete fools list as described by B2...

Complete fools list: Terminal Lance, danksme, Trugrit, RNITOVR, TekGreg, Naybor, fudo, kingofthedemo, hardballer, billwot, JohnLM

I

Do you feel, as gun carriers, is it better that we simply prevent a criminal from attacking us and our family, and protect ourselves and our families from criminal actions; or is it better for us to execute the criminal?

"Is it better for us to execute the criminal?" If you are really asking that question then you should not be carrying a gun.
In case you did not know, carrying a gun does not give you the power to be a judge, jury, and executioner.

Rare and unique occurrence; perhaps, but I do remember hearing of this: Open Carry Man Robbed of His Gun-Watch Video Here

Admittedly, it's hard to believe this guy is representative of OCers, nevertheless, there it is.

"There's a complete fools list? I didn't know...."

Circles within circles, wheels within wheels, & one never knows there is a higher (or in this case, lower) level until invited.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back