Which Firearm to Buy for CCW?

smcrea

Hi,

I'm new to CCW and live in San Diego in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia where you may have heard we made a step in the right direction with regards to CCW.

I've submitted my application and am now starting to research which firearm I should buy for a practical CCW (should I ever be approved). My current firearms are not really practical. (1911, 6" GP-100, 50AE DE)

I have a couple in mind but would like to ask you knowledgeable folks who actually carry what would you recommend and just as importantly WHY

Thanks for any advise!

I carry a Glock 19, and im also going to probably buy a M&P Shield soon. But what you decide to carry is a personal choice. If you ask ten different people you will get ten different answers. I have carried a 1911 in the past and it was ok, but I wanted something not quite so heavy. If you can, go to a local range and rent a few different guns and try them out to see what you like, and go from there.

Xds .45, 3.3" barrel. Highly concealable, nicely balanced, nice combo of intuitive safety features, match grade performance.

The Best Gun​
Would you walk up to a stranger on the street, ask them what the best flavor of ice cream is, and then eat only that flavor for years to come? No? I wish I had a dollar for every time someone has asked what the best gun is, what caliber is best, what they should carry ........ you get the idea. Even though practically nobody would accept the advice of a stranger on ice cream flavors, there seems to be a never ending stream of people willing to accept the advice of strangers on something that could someday decide whether they or one of their loved ones lives or dies. The uninitiated might look at this as just a matter of one choice being a simple personal preference and the other a decision based on finite attributes, but they'd be wrong. Choosing the right gun can be very much as personal as a flavor of ice cream.
Never ask others what gun you should buy, because what's good for them may not be good for you at all. The opinions of others are good for quality, features and reliability, but they can't tell you anything about how well a gun fits or fires because no gun is exactly the same for different people. What works well for one person won't necessarily work well for the next. There's much more to gun compatibility than just the caliber and the feel of the grip. The exact same gun can feel completely different to two different people. Decide what basic attributes you're looking for, such as size, which will often be determined by your size because larger guns are generally more easily concealed on larger people. The type of clothing you wear is also a consideration there. Women typically wear tighter fitting clothes than men, so hiding a gun is much harder for them, especially when you consider that most women are smaller than most men. The size of the gun will also affect the number of rounds it will carry, and that will in turn affect your consideration for how many reloads you may want to carry. That extra ammo is now something else to conceal, but in a place where it's still readily accessible. Your personal habits also affect ammunition factors. People who travel to more 'dangerous' areas are more advised to carry a gun with higher ammo capacity, more reloads or both. Once you have an idea of the general type of gun you're looking for, start asking what the best attributes are for guns in that class. People will inevitably start recommending guns to you, and that's okay, but pay more attention to the features they mention, and the different attributes that people will mention with different guns. You'll not only start to get an idea of what's popular in that class, but you'll also start to understand what's important to your personal situation and what's not, and that's what's really important here. You'll eventually start to realize that your personal situation isn't just like everyone else's, so your choices won't necessarily have the same priorities. That's just the start of understanding why choosing a gun is a personal thing. The next is shooting them.
You should always try to find the guns you're considering and shoot them for yourself if at all possible. The actions you took above should have given you two or three really good candidates. Sometimes you may just be looking for a few particular attributes and you're willing to try out whatever guns you can find that has them. That's fine too if it works well for you. For example, you may decide you only want to try out striker fired pistols because you like the feel of their shorter and lighter trigger pulls. Guns with double stack magazines carry more rounds and may fit better in your hand, but guns with single stack magazines conceal easier. The possibile variations go on and on. But always try to shoot the guns you're considering before buying. If you can't find the exact model, there may be some very close substitutes from the same manufacturer than can act as stand-ins. The folks on the online forums can usually advise you fairly well as to how comparable one model is to another. If it's a tie after shooting more than one gun, then ask others about things you may not have considered yet, such as their experience with malfunctions/repairs, long term quality, ease of cleaning, etc. I know it's not an easy process, but you want the gun that's right for you, not a gun that was right for someone else.
But maybe I skipped a step. Before you start choosing a gun, maybe you wanted to know what the best caliber is for self defense. Well, I hear a 105mm howitzer makes a really big hole....... Seriously though, there is no shortage of folks in the 'bigger is better' club. That's basically because they're right, but they get lot's of argument because many people mistakenly assume that the simplistic statement of 'bigger is better' is the entirety of their argument, when it really isn't. Your goal in using deadly force to defend yourself is to stop the threat. Simply put, big holes stop threats better. But big holes don't matter if they're in the wrong place, if they never get fired, or if any other factor conspires to mitigate their effects. We know from real life use on the streets that caliber does very much make a difference in successful self defense scenarios. But the bigger is better crowd has always advised that acquiring a gun that you can handle and shoot well is more important than the caliber. A gun with all the stopping power in the world is useless to you if you can't handle it effectively. Even within the same caliber, members here are advised to try guns before they buy them to insure they can handle and shoot them well first. They don't advocate you get the largest caliber, period, without concern for anything else, as some might have you believe. They advocate you get the largest caliber you can handle well, carry well, shoot well and conceal well, because a gun you can't do those things with is pretty ineffective no matter what caliber it is. If you boil the equation down to the single factor of caliber, guess what? Larger calibers win. But the choice of a proper defensive firearm is influenced by many factors. All of those factors have to be weighed, and some even weighed against each other, before the most logical choice can be found. And some of those factors will necessarily be subjective, such as what feels better in your hand. I had a member here ask me once how a 380 fit in to the equation because he carried it sometimes when his clothing didn't allow concealing anything larger. This is what I told him:
If that's the most gun that fits with your carry situation sometimes, and you can handle it effectively, then it fits. The main point about caliber is choose the largest caliber where you can find a gun that you can handle, carry and shoot effectively. If you can't find that in a larger caliber, try the next caliber down. But sometimes power isn't the deciding factor at all. Sometimes the carry situation will dictate a certain gun that is smaller than you'd normally want. But the point is that that gun is still better than no gun at all, so that gun fits. If you can find another gun with more power that works for you in that situation down the road, great. But if not, then that existing gun is still the way to go, even if it isn't as powerful as you'd like. That's because effective shooting trumps power every time, and effective shooting includes the ability to carry well. But if you have the ability to effectively carry something larger than a 380, then you should. That's true for any caliber.
Something else that's very often associated with caliber is recoil, but that isn't as simple as it sounds either. Maybe you've fired a rifle before that was very comfortable. Try firing it while holding it in one hand. What you may have perceived as little or no recoil before may be dramatically higher when holding it in just your hand. That's what's called 'felt' recoil. The actual force may not be different, but how you feel it is altered. You can experience the same thing with handguns due to many factors. Some handguns of small caliber can have higher felt recoil than handguns of much higher caliber. That's because other factors, mostly the design of the gun, also affect felt recoil. You're probably aware that heavier guns tend to 'kick' less and guns with longer barrels tend to have less recoil too, but other factors can factor into the equation in ways that many people don't realize. Even changing your grip can noticeably affect felt recoil sometimes. What felt recoil does will differ as well. Recoil can push straight back or it can flip the muzzle up. Realistically it's a combination of both to some degree, with the degree varying quite a bit. For instance, the Chiappa Rhino shoots a 357 Magnum round out of a two inch with almost no felt recoil affecting followup shots, but a Glock 19 9mm has more muzzle flip even though it's less powerful and has a longer barrel. At first glance, most people wouldn't assume that because they don't realize that recoil is more than just a matter of caliber. In the case of the Chiappa Rhino, the major reason for low felt recoil is because the axis of the barrel is almost directly in line with the axis of the shooter's arm, so the arm absorbs almost all of the recoil straight back instead of of much of it being absorbed upward by the shooter's wrist, which is what causes most guns to recoil upwards when you fire them. That's why my Sig P229 with a long barrel recoils more than my Glock G27 with a short barrel, because the axis of the Sig barrel is noticeably higher up above the axis of my arm.
The 40 has a reputation for abrupt or 'snappy' recoil, as opposed to strong recoil. My 45s kick stronger than my 40s but they don't kick so snappy, so the 45s are easier to control, at least for me. I've had quite a few other people tell me the same thing after trying guns in both calibers. But that's a general observation. That's not so much a matter of discomfort, but for me it has a significant impact on getting the gun back down on target for followup shots. That's not good in the tactics arena, so I don't carry any of my 40s anymore. Again, get the gun that works best for you in the strongest caliber, but put the primary emphasis on the gun itself and how it works for you, and then make the caliber the highest you can while still satisfying that first primary goal. THAT'S the true argument of the 'bigger is better' club.
Anyway, I'll emphasize again that you should try not to base your purchase decision solely on the advice of others. Always, always, always try to fire a gun before you buy it. If you can't shoot the actual gun, try shooting a comparable one from the same manufacturer. Sometimes those options aren't available to a purchaser. They don't have the option to try before they buy. In those cases they have to trust the advice of others and hope it works out well for them, and fortunately it most often does. But if you have the opportunity to shoot possible gun candidates before buying them, you should never pass that up.
EDIT: (3/12/14) I corrected some spelling and improved the wording somewhat.

Besides what Rhino said (he covered it pretty darn well)...

I did use this forum when I was deciding what gun I wanted for CCW. I listed the features I was interested in, a few guns I was considering, and asked for pros/cons, what should I also consider that I had never heard of, or if anything should be taken off the list and why. That was helpful, though still taken in context of a bunch of people I'd never met in person. I added a couple to what I wanted to try, and made my final decision after trying them all at the range. Your post will result in a list of what everyone else carries, and that might not be very useful. Get more specific, figure out what things you're looking for, and this might become a bit more helpful. :)

I think Rhino covered about everything. I have 4 guns that I carry depending on how I am dressed and where I am going. Having qualified with the 1911 in 1956, I still consider it the best but for some it is a little on the heavy side. I also have a FNX-9, a Kahr CW-9 and a 357 revolver snub nose. I try to shoot all of them on a regular basis but father time is catching up with me and I don't shoot as well as I did 50 Years ago.

I am a big guy, so it is easier to conceal a larger framed firearm. I have always carried a Ruger P95. Currently IWB at 4:30. Before the ammo crunch, 9 was easy to get and cheap. There is always the people who shoot down 9mm in relation to stopping power, but shot placement makes all the difference in the word. Even a Red Ryder BB gun to the eye will do the trick. I carry Speer Gold Dot +P. That being said, I would not recommend less than 9mm, because the lower you go, even with proper shot placement, effect can diminish. There are also some very good compact .45 out there that would be easy to conceal and carry the bigger stopping power.

If you like your 1911, check out Sigs p938. It is a sweet little 9mm colt mustang mock up. I love mine.

Small enough that you could carry it in your speedo on your SoCal beach, awesome enough that it still feels like a 1911.

I see that you already have a 1911 full size it's probley a bit large for carry, but you have been useing it so that might be a good place to start. If you like it try a commander size or smaller 1911 . I carry a kimber cdp pro and I like it alot.As has been stated earlier you should go to a range wear you can rent different hand guns and try them out before you buy.

Great advice so far guys.. OK, let me give some of my personal requirements:

I'd like a firearm that is:
- Reliable, it goes bang when I pull the trigger
- Is small enough to carry and not be inconvenient
- Easy to maintain and not worried about sweat and nasty things
- Will stop a bad guy who is on drugs

I don't normally go to bad places. I'm a family guy. The main place that I see me using this is when we take our RV out and walking around places that are unknown to us.

Does this help?

If you like your 1911, check out Sigs p938. It is a sweet little 9mm colt mustang mock up. I love mine.

Small enough that you could carry it in your speedo on your SoCal beach, awesome enough that it still feels like a 1911.

Looks sweet.. I assume that its a P238 that you're talking about?

As far as Semi Auto vs Revolver goes I'm totally unbiased. I own both at the moment. However with that said I can see some distinct advantages with the revolver in that it goes bang every time because it is simple. It's easy to maintain and it's light. The disadvantage that I can see is if you need to re-load.

I was looking at the Ruger LCR which checks in at about 13oz?

But then you have to ask if .38 is enough stopping power or do you go with .357?

I love my Ruger GP-100 but then again I also love my 1911!

Decisions decisions! :confused:

But then you have to ask if .38 is enough stopping power or do you go with .357?

I always would go for the .357, just so I have the option if I want it. Plus I think they tend to be a little heavier and thus easier on the recoil. Someone, I'm sure, will chime in soon with .38 vs. .357 and how not much is gained with the hotter round in the short, 2" barrels. I don't recall the science behind it at the moment.

I really like my Ruger SR40C Got mine for about $400.00. It shoots well. Has adjustable rear sight. it also will chew up any ammo manufacturers bullets and spit them down range. I carry it 9+1 and the spare magazine holds 15 rounds. It was between that and the M&P 40C.

I have the XDs .45 which it can disappear on your hip with the right holster, I have a Crossbreed Mini or any of the glock and the M&P shield is a awesome carry also. So what is the law there, your mag can be no more than 8 rounds?

A Great Concelaled Gun To Carry

I love my glock26. I've never had a misfire. I know when I pull the trigger, the gun will shoot. I use Speer Gold Dot +P. That certainly is an equalizer for stopping-power. The gun may be a little fat but it hides well in my Crossbreed.

I ended up with the Springfield XDS in .45 after looking at a lot of firearms, renting a few to try after narrowing the field and then choosing what fit me best. If you see something that tweaks your interest try your best to get a chance to put some rounds downrange before you buy.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back