Where to buy bulk ammo?

I found some good prices online for the wolf steel case stuff. Brass case was not that much cheaper then Walmarts white box. I didn't really want to shoot the steel case stuff through my Kimber and hopefully I can pick up alot of the brass I shoot (If I have to pay for factory stuff I'd like to bring as much of the brass home as possible) So I picked up 400 rounds at Walmart the other day.

I found some good prices online for the wolf steel case stuff. Brass case was not that much cheaper then Walmarts white box. I didn't really want to shoot the steel case stuff through my Kimber and hopefully I can pick up alot of the brass I shoot (If I have to pay for factory stuff I'd like to bring as much of the brass home as possible) So I picked up 400 rounds at Walmart the other day.

I only put the Wolf through my AK's. I just picked up 1000rds of Wolf HP 7.62 x 39 from Ammo Man as they had the best price, which included shipping. I guess with gas prices the way they are it is not surprising that we are paying 3x what we used to for ammo.

The biggest problem is finding affordable .223 for the AR. That stuff is just way out of hand.

For the handguns I usually get the White box for the range, and give them a good cleaning when we get home.

I only put the Wolf through my AK's. I just picked up 1000rds of Wolf HP 7.62 x 39 from Ammo Man as they had the best price, which included shipping. I guess with gas prices the way they are it is not surprising that we are paying 3x what we used to for ammo.

The biggest problem is finding affordable .223 for the AR. That stuff is just way out of hand.

For the handguns I usually get the White box for the range, and give them a good cleaning when we get home.

Even the components to reload are getting expensive. I have about 400 rounds of .223 loaded up right now but still have some components left so I'll probably load up some more this weekend.

Even the components to reload are getting expensive. I have about 400 rounds of .223 loaded up right now but still have some components left so I'll probably load up some more this weekend.

My buddy has all the reload equipment and we have been discussing the possibilities of doing our own. I checked out some of the reloading supplies at the last gun show, and will have to work some numbers to see if from a time standpoint it will make a big difference for us.

I am wondering, what do you think your per box cost is for .223. I mean compared to what the average 20rd box might be. This might help in my decision.

Appreciate your input

My buddy has all the reload equipment and we have been discussing the possibilities of doing our own. I checked out some of the reloading supplies at the last gun show, and will have to work some numbers to see if from a time standpoint it will make a big difference for us.

I am wondering, what do you think your per box cost is for .223. I mean compared to what the average 20rd box might be. This might help in my decision.

Appreciate your input

Right now Tac powder is $14.50 a pound, Hornady 55gr FMJ are $37.23 per 500, and CCI #400 small rifle primers are$23.50 a box of 1000. My rifle seems to shoot these bullet best at 24.7gr of Tac.

So this is the breakdown......
$0.05 (Powder per round)
$0.03 (Primer per round)
+$0.08 (Bullet per round)
----------------------------------
$0.16 per round or $3.20 for a box or 20. This is all minus the price for brass cause I try to pick up as much as I can each time to the range.

Right now Tac powder is $14.50 a pound, Hornady 55gr FMJ are $37.23 per 500, and CCI #400 small rifle primers are$23.50 a box of 1000. My rifle seems to shoot these bullet best at 24.7gr of Tac.

So this is the breakdown......
$0.05 (Powder per round)
$0.03 (Primer per round)
+$0.08 (Bullet per round)
----------------------------------
$0.16 per round or $3.20 for a box or 20. This is all minus the price for brass cause I try to pick up as much as I can each time to the range.

So, that would seem to make it a little more than 1/2 the cost of commercially purchased rounds even if you included the brass I am assuming that the brass would add about another $0.07 per round.

I think the last stuff I bought came out to about $0.40 per round.

So, that would seem to make it a little more than 1/2 the cost of commercially purchased rounds even if you included the brass I am assuming that the brass would add about another $0.07 per round.

I think the last stuff I bought came out to about $0.40 per round.

You are correct and if you can go in with a few people and buy in bulk you can save more money.

On top of it being cheaper you can custom load for each rifle. Which will make your cheaper rounds shoot more accurate then the factory stuff. And you can also load custom hunting/defensive rounds. I have 3 mags loaded with 75gr hornady hollow points which would be really hard to find loaded.

My choices

A word of warning about smuggling reloads to a class that requires factory ammunition. If you are found out you will be ejected from the class without a refund. That is a standard term and condition of taking the class. If the entity holding the class specifies no reloads or factory ammunition only, you best provide it. Some classes require that the ammunition be drop shipped to the classroom venue.

Last edited:
keep in mind shipping costs. A cheaper price per round/box often has the difference made up and then some with shipping costs. Your best bet are gun shows. I picked up 500 rnds of 7.62x30 WOLF for less then $100.00.

check out jgsales.com...i picked up some ammo for my Nagant - great price and FAST AS HELL shipping.

keep in mind shipping costs. A cheaper price per round/box often has the difference made up and then some with shipping costs. Your best bet are gun shows. I picked up 500 rnds of 7.62x30 WOLF for less then $100.00.

check out jgsales.com...i picked up some ammo for my Nagant - great price and FAST AS HELL shipping.

Ammoman includes shipping in most of their ammunition sales.

Ammoman includes shipping in most of their ammunition sales.

All true but pay attention when you travel. I just got home from Wickenburg and was in Prescott anyway. I could have bought ammo for a bit less than J&G, but by the time I paid shipping it would have been more than stopping there anyway---and I got to look at other stock too!

(BTW: this trip I spent over $600 on ammo, a bit more than usual--but I'm usually there buying ammo about twice a year. It's much cheaper than Vegas prices on most calibers)

i plan on taking a trip to prescott to go to J&G for ammo and possible another AK. I can't stand the gun shops in town. NDS - what part of Vegas?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back