Where is it a criminal offense to carry?

Tye_Defender

Here is a question that I have had for a while, but haven't had the nerve to ask.

In Arkansas, I know there are some places where it is a serious offense to carry (like inside a school while it is in session) and others (like a store posted no weapons) where they ask you to leave and could possibly charge you with trespass if you don't.

Here are the locations:
- Police, Sheriff, State trooper, Highway patrol stations.
- State Highway and Transportation Dept. buildings and grounds (except rest areas and weig stations).
- Jail, Prison, detention facility.
- Court
- Polling place
- Govt. meeting place
- State govt. offices
- Athletic sporting event
- Bar
- School, College, or University property
- Passenger terminal of airport
- Church (place of worship)
- Places forbidden by Federal law
- Posted places

Anyone know what the punishment is for carrying in these locations?

Here is the relevant excerpt from the law (I believe):

(a) No license issued pursuant to this subchapter shall authorize any person to carry a concealed handgun into:
(1) Any police, sheriff's, or Department of Arkansas State Police station;
(2) Any Arkansas Highway Police facility;
(3) Any buildings of the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department, or onto grounds adjacent to such
buildings, except that this subdivision (a)(3) shall not apply to rest areas and weigh stations of the department;
(4) Any detention facility, prison, or jail;
(5) Any courthouse;
(6) Any courtroom, except that nothing in this subchapter shall preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or
determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his courtroom;
(7) Any polling place;
(8) Any meeting place of the governing body of any governmental entity;
(9) Any meeting of the legislature or a committee thereof;
(10) Any building wherein a state office is located;
(11) Any athletic event not related to firearms;
(12) Any portion of an establishment, except a restaurant as defined in § 39402,
licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages
for consumption on the premises;
(13) Any portion of an establishment, except a restaurant as defined in § 39402,
in which beer or light wine is consumed
on the premises;
(14) Any school, college, community college, or university campus building or event, unless for the purpose of
participating in an authorized firearmsrelated
activity;
(15) Inside the passenger terminal of any airport, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm
into the terminal if the firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully
transported on any aircraft;
(16) Any church or other place of worship; or
(17) Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.
(b)(1) In addition to the places enumerated in this section, the carrying of a concealed handgun may be disallowed in any
place in the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of such place by the placing of a
written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten feet (10') that the "carrying of a handgun is prohibited."
(2) Provided, no sign shall be required for private homes, and any licensee entering a private home shall notify the
occupants that he is carrying a concealed handgun.
(c) No license issued pursuant to this subchapter shall authorize the participants in a parade or demonstration for which a
permit is required to carry a concealed handgun.
History. Acts 1995, No. 411, § 2; 1995, No. 419, § 2; 1997, No. 1239, § 2.

Since the wording of the exceptions to carry is worded thus:
(a) No license issued pursuant to this subchapter shall authorize any person to carry a concealed handgun into:

it would logically follow that carrying in these places is legally identical to carrying a handgun without a license, and is punishable by measures at least as severe.

Can somebody verify this?

well..that pretty much narrows it down then..looks like you can only carry on your property out to the mailbox and back! :cool:

As for punishment, I can only tell what I have heard..I have tried to research it on line but can not find anything on it, if one of you "pooter" gurus out there know better ways of searching, please be my guest..what I have "HEARD" is, you will lose your CHL and possibly have your weapon taken away (possibly returned as seen fit by the courts later)..a $2500 fine and maybe some jail time..again, this is only what I have heard..I would like to see it in "OFFICIAL" writting tho...my feelings on where you can and can not carry, if you are discrete and trust your abilities to keep CONCEALED, then ignore the gun free zone rules..am sure the BGs will and thats what they count on, it has been proven in the past..but also know you are breaking the law thus risking it all..if you choose to minimize that risk(breaking the law that is) then don't carry into the gun free zones..if you do not want to risk your life, then by all means, carry..it's a double edged sword, so be careful.

The latest change is a little bit more explicit:
(b)(1)(A) In addition to a place enumerated in this section, the carrying of a concealed handgun may be disallowed in any place at the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of the place by placing at each entrance to the place a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten feet (10') that "carrying a handgun is prohibited".

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back