Where do you keep your firearms when sleeping

that's crazy..under the pillow! keep it on the nightstand next to the bed!

This is a bit off topic, but it's a related suggestion. If you have not done so already, I suggest you have your daughter take a gun safety course (with you would be best) and then accompany you to the range. Help her learn how to shoot and to understand how guns operate, what happens when you pull the trigger, etc. I think that in most circumstances it is best to take the mystery out of firearms for kids, so that they have a very concrete understanding of the need to interact safely with them.
Excellent advice!

Im with CHE, I thought that was somewhat of a joke since it seems dangerous to me. Im move around and toss & turn when sleaping so it can NOT be in the bed. Our headboard has plenty of space and storage. I keep mine on the headboard of the bed pushed all the way back to the dowels.

Have a large 4-poster bed which, after I made a nice leather belt to fit the 8" poster, allows me to keep the .44 holstered right in reach by my head but below visual range for anyone just entering the bedroom. The 1911 carry sits hidden (but within quick easy reach by my chair) in the front room for the possibility of intrusion while we are in that room.

I have a holster mounted to the back side of my night stand so the person standing at my bedroom door could bot see it with a 1911 double stack with night sights one in the pipe

My wife keeps her M&P 40 in her night stand while my 1911 rests comfortably on my night stand next to my cell phone and flashlight

With 4 kids in the house my EDC is either in my holster, in my hand, or in the safe. No chances. None. Ever. Not with kids.

It takes me 5 seconds to get it from the secure location. Our German Shepherd should slow them down at least that long. I highly recommend getting a dog if you do not already have one. A large breed with protection instinct is ideal, but even a little yippy dog will wake you up, and that may be all the advantage you need.

Back on topic...

Kids are curious. They will investigate anything mysterious. And on Saturdays (or during thunderstorms, or when they have a bad dream, or when they don't feel well) they get up before you and come into your bed. Bad situation if they startle you and you've got a firearm nearly in your hand.

I'm of course training my 4 kids in firearms safety. Every chance I get. Even my four year-old knows that I carry my "shoot gun", and not to ever touch it if she were to see it. But until they're adults, I'm the one that's ultimately responsible for their safety.

20 years from now, when they're out of the house, maybe I'll relocate the EDC. We'll see.

In a small case between the bed and nightstand. It's a "three wheel" combination case that I always reset to 0-0-0 so I can spin the dials in the dark quickly to the code by feel. I keep my Kel-Tec P11 in there with three loaded magazines. I would prefer to have a finger-keyed safe, so hopefully I win the contest. :-D

As to EastOk's assertion, I have a friend who honestly ascribes to the "tattooed naked white man screaming coming at you with a machete in one hand and a .45 in the other" method of home defense. He used to live in a bad part of town, and successfully used this home defense method twice to scare out intruders.

..."tattooed naked white man screaming coming at you with a machete in one hand and a .45 in the other" method of home defense.

That method would definitely scare me away. Terrifying. haha...

Pistol in a bed holster that slips between the mattress and box spring (wife has one too).
Carry pistol sits on the nightstand at night.
12 Ga. pump against the headboard.
12 Ga. semi-auto combat shotgun on the other side of the nightstand.
The wife also has another pistol in the dresser.
That's just the bedroom.

We don't have little kids anymore.

I have a friend who honestly ascribes to the "tattooed naked white man screaming coming at you with a machete in one hand and a .45 in the other" method of home defense. He used to live in a bad part of town, and successfully used this home defense method twice to scare out intruders.

I think I just peed myself a little just imagining this. He wins.

All of my kids are grown an no longer live with us so I ketep my XD9 SC on the nightstand next to the bed.
When the grandkids stay with us I keep it in the safe.

Mine is stored in a holster on the dresser next to my bed. I keep it in the holster for safety since it is condition 1.

No Matter where you keep it train your little girl do not touch that gun for any reason.
Now saying that I saw a story about a 10 year old boy who shot a man breaking into his home with his little sister in the house too. she was i think 8 the bad guy had a long rap sheet with sex crimes on it too. it's somewhere on one of these post. so maybe shooting training would be best. just I don't want anything to happen to your family so take care.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back