When youre employed and you do something wrong, its called COVERING YOUR *****!!!

From what I've seen the past thirty or so years, Cops are absolute MASTERS at covering their a$ses!

There is a motto out there that talks about "sin" and "throwing the first stone". I'm sure you have been perfect your entire life. Gets kind of boring when all the LEO bashers come out to play. Not popular with the forum--tough, could not care less, and will not revisit my comment. I am 72 and never ever had the need to even think firearm or think LEO or even think about this "band of out of control LEOs who are out there because they want to kill someone". The squeaky wheel bashers get the print but I would bet that many out there have better things to do. Yes--there are cases of abuse--do some statistics on LEO on duty manhours vs number of "incidents" and yes LEO incidents can be more devastating and tragic (that is why they get the press--"if it bleeds it leads"--but I'll bet you the number of incidents per LEO manhours is a heck of a lot less than most, if not all other interactions you make during your 24/7 life.

According to the article it seems all we have is a "he said she said" argument. The police say "this" happened, and the fiance says "that" happened.

Now, we have a forum where people are using this article as justification that police are out to kill everyone. Poppy cock.

Let's wait until the facts actually come out before we become judge, jury and executioner on these two cops.

There is a motto out there that talks about "sin" and "throwing the first stone". I'm sure you have been perfect your entire life. Gets kind of boring when all the LEO bashers come out to play. Not popular with the forum--tough, could not care less, and will not revisit my comment. I am 72 and never ever had the need to even think firearm or think LEO or even think about this "band of out of control LEOs who are out there because they want to kill someone". The squeaky wheel bashers get the print but I would bet that many out there have better things to do. Yes--there are cases of abuse--do some statistics on LEO on duty manhours vs number of "incidents" and yes LEO incidents can be more devastating and tragic (that is why they get the press--"if it bleeds it leads"--but I'll bet you the number of incidents per LEO manhours is a heck of a lot less than most, if not all other interactions you make during your 24/7 life.

I am a former federal officer and a strong supporter of law enforcement. However, the stats are clear. Police kill innocent people in 11% of their shootings versus just 2% for civilians. In other words, you are 5-1/2 times more likely to be shot and killed as an innocent person by police than by a lawfully carrying civilian. That is the inconvenient truth.

Thank you Ezkl2230. You made the point much more directly than my comment.

I am, by NO means an LEO basher! Not at all. But in the past 30 years or so, cops have changed! Perhaps an LEO can explain that.

I recently read an article that stated that you were 33% more likely to be killed by a police officer than a person with a concealed weapons permit. I personally think that it would be much higher. I didn't go into to it, but I would say, conservatively, that there are two to three incidents per WEEK that I read about where police have hit the wrong house, unintentionally wounded civilians, shot the WRONG person, etc., etc. And those are just the cases that I personally have read and I'm sure there are many more that I never hear about.

I have read many, many incidents in which it SEEMED obvious that an officer was wrong but got off entirely or with a slap on the wrist and almost NO jail time as would happen to the average NON LEO.

My main point, though, is that the cops I knew growing up who walked a beat were friendly, helpful, cheerful and just seemed like they were available to HELP the public. To actually SERVE the public which, while it still seems to be the motto of many departments, I don't think that attitude really exists that much anymore. But then, when I was young I could play outdoors all day long, knock on a stranger's door if I needed to and not worry about weird people hurting me. I don't like it, but I guess times change. For the better AND the worse.

I am a former federal officer and a strong supporter of law enforcement. However, the stats are clear. Police kill innocent people in 11% of their shootings versus just 2% for civilians. In other words, you are 5-1/2 times more likely to be shot and killed as an innocent person by police than by a lawfully carrying civilian. That is the inconvenient truth.

it's what i have said many times. LE should not be armed with lethal weapons. they already have the laws on their side they should only have non lethal weapons

as a citizen i just want to go home at night after my shift is over

Thank you Ezkl2230. You made the point much more directly than my comment.

I am, by NO means an LEO basher! Not at all. But in the past 30 years or so, cops have changed! Perhaps an LEO can explain that.

I recently read an article that stated that you were 33% more likely to be killed by a police officer than a person with a concealed weapons permit. I personally think that it would be much higher. I didn't go into to it, but I would say, conservatively, that there are two to three incidents per WEEK that I read about where police have hit the wrong house, unintentionally wounded civilians, shot the WRONG person, etc., etc. And those are just the cases that I personally have read and I'm sure there are many more that I never hear about.

I have read many, many incidents in which it SEEMED obvious that an officer was wrong but got off entirely or with a slap on the wrist and almost NO jail time as would happen to the average NON LEO.

My main point, though, is that the cops I knew growing up who walked a beat were friendly, helpful, cheerful and just seemed like they were available to HELP the public. To actually SERVE the public which, while it still seems to be the motto of many departments, I don't think that attitude really exists that much anymore. But then, when I was young I could play outdoors all day long, knock on a stranger's door if I needed to and not worry about weird people hurting me. I don't like it, but I guess times change. For the better AND the worse.

If you google the phrase, militarization of the police, you will find countless reports and articles addressing this issue.

The outlook has changed, and it relates directly to the notion that police are engaged in a war on crime, rather than protecting and serving the public. With the idea of protecting and serving the public, the emphasis was on community relations, partnering with the community at-large, the idea of "protect and serve." Police were outfitted with a revolver or semi-auto, and usually had a shotgun in the car as well, but the overall intent was to take a criminal in by peaceful means. Most officers went through their entire career without ever firing a shot.

With the outlook of a war on crime, however, the entire posture of law enforcement changed. Partly, this was brought about by the idea that criminals can get their hands on military-styled weapons that put police at a distinct disadvantage. The 1997 North Hollywood shootout, in which the bad guys were using semi-autos that had been illegally modified to go rock and roll, brought this possibility to the forefront. The militarization of the police really began in earnest then, so for the last 15 years law enforcement have been on a war footing. Through federal programs, they now have access to many weapons system available to the military at a minimal cost, and the military has even advised some of the larger police departments on adapting military strategy to urban police work. In a war, the goal is to conquer an enemy, everyone you meet is a potential enemy, and even though there are rules of engagement governing how that war is fought, the likelihood of abuse or violation of those rules increases the longer a nation remains on a war footing. In the vast majority of cases, the transformation takes place without the combatants even realizing it has even happened. I am convinced that the majority of our officers are decent, well-intentioned, honorable individuals who truly believe that it is their job to protect, but the effects of a combat mindset are difficult to keep under control. It is the same kind of transformation that has been well documented in prison guards, particularly those working with hardcore prison populations.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back