When will this law change?

It irritates me that I can't buy a handgun in any state I choose. I have a CCP in NC, passed the background check etc, and I should be able to purchase a gun (and take it with me) wherever I find a good deal. Do you think this restriction will ever be lifted?

It irritates me that I can't buy a handgun in any state I choose. I have a CCP in NC, passed the background check etc, and I should be able to purchase a gun (and take it with me) wherever I find a good deal. Do you think this restriction will ever be lifted?
The only way I could ever envision such a thing would be to buy it under your CC permit from your home state, a background check, pay taxes to two states and the Feds, and then your firearm would be shipped to an FFL in your state who would charge you a fee. And then there's the legal aspects of what is actually legal in the destination state. I have a headache just thinking about the hoops they would make us jump through.

About the best you can do at this time would be to:
Call your local Gun Shop and have him FAX a copy of his FFL to the Gun Shop you are at out of state.
Pay for the handgun plus shipping charges.
When your local gun shop gets the handgun, you can then fill out the paper work in your home state.
Not the best by any means, but this can keep something you really want from getting away from you.

Bob R

I give it about 4 years the Federal government will apply the law to all firearms, not just handguns.

I'm not so sure. IIRC, GCA '68 started out that you couldn't buy out-of-state at all without the weapon (any firearm) being purchased at an FFL, then being shipped to an FLL in your own state for pickup. Again, IIRC, now you can purchase a long gun in a state that borders your state and take it with you, as long as your state has no other requirements such as a permit to purchase, etc. Others might be able to give a more definitive answer on that. But, if I'm correct, then I'd say that's at least a little improvement. As far as the OP's dream, I think it will stay just that. I don't see Congress moving much on that issue, especially since they haven't moved on national reciprocity, which was being pushed much harder.

Again, IIRC, now you can purchase a long gun in a state that borders your state and take it with you, as long as your state has no other requirements such as a permit to purchase, etc. Others might be able to give a more definitive answer on that.

I can give you a more definitive answer than that. The requirement for the two states to be adjacent to each other was done away with in a 1986 amendment to the GCA of 1968. A person can purchase a long gun in any state other than their state of residence - only from an FFL, so long as the sale would be legal in both the state the selling FFL is located in and the state of residence of the purchaser, and all the laws of the seller's and buyer's states are complied with. And that is why all the talk of the anti-gun crowd about the "gun show" and "internet sales" "loopholes" are completely false. Such sales that cross state lines must go through an FFL with the required form 4473 and background check.

I can give you a more definitive answer than that. The requirement for the two states to be adjacent to each other was done away with in a 1986 amendment to the GCA of 1968. A person can purchase a long gun in any state other than their state of residence - only from an FFL, so long as the sale would be legal in both the state the selling FFL is located in and the state of residence of the purchaser, and all the laws of the seller's and buyer's states are complied with. And that is why all the talk of the anti-gun crowd about the "gun show" and "internet sales" "loopholes" are completely false. Such sales that cross state lines must go through an FFL with the required form 4473 and background check.
With one exception for those buying C&R weapons and having an 003 Type FFL and another if you buy from the CMP as long as your state does not require it to go thru an FFL. I have rifles delivered all the time to the home legally. YMMV depending on the State you are in or local laws. If you are still in Washington Navy, you get to have them sent to an FFL thanks to some of the voters their. :(

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back