When to tell a LEO you are packing?

to all,

this weekend, returning from our "place in the mountains", i was stopped by the VASP at a "DWI checkpoint".

as i'm a southpaw & my wallet is right next to my Sig-Sauer P6, i said to the trooper, "I'm armed & am wearing my pistol".

he asked to see my DL/permit (which i produced) & he PROMPTLY "waved me through" the checkpoint.

yours, TN46

to all,

this weekend, returning from our "place in the mountains", i was stopped by the VASP at a "DWI checkpoint".

as i'm a southpaw & my wallet is right next to my Sig-Sauer P6, i said to the trooper, "I'm armed & am wearing my pistol".

he asked to see my DL/permit (which i produced) & he PROMPTLY "waved me through" the checkpoint.

yours, TN46

Virginia LEOs seem to be very good with CCW issues as long as you are up front with them. (especially since your D/L is linked) It isn't the 1st time we've heard that they are ok with it.
I guess they figured out that legal, law abiding, responsible & honest CC gun owners aren't going to shoot them.

RE: My state isn't a shall inform state and I feel no need to offer up my concealment unless requested or mandated by law ..." I'd like to see a list of states which mandate voluntary disclosure - I agree with you - no voluntary disclosure - athough I'd answer a LEO if specifically asked. Some LEOs say that disclosure on a simple traffic stop complicates everything.

During a stop by the Florida Highway Patrol my concealed carry status came up. The officer became mildly agitated and threatened me with a felony violation if I did not make my CC status known to an officer who stopped my car before any other transaction took place. I have researched the Florida statute and have been unable to find a requirement to notify when carrying, however, the FHP officer seemed convinced that it is required. By the way, I did not argue with him, but apologized and went on my way. I don't like the face down in the grass or handcuff pose.

Be careful, be polite and don't get pulled over.

During a stop by the Florida Highway Patrol my concealed carry status came up. The officer became mildly agitated and threatened me with a felony violation if I did not make my CC status known to an officer who stopped my car before any other transaction took place. I have researched the Florida statute and have been unable to find a requirement to notify when carrying, however, the FHP officer seemed convinced that it is required. By the way, I did not argue with him, but apologized and went on my way. I don't like the face down in the grass or handcuff pose.

Be careful, be polite and don't get pulled over.

Couldn't find it because it's not there. Some cops either make the laws fit their beliefs or they "know" the law as it was told to them by someone else....rather than researching it themselves.

Here in VA the state police and many local LEO have the data in their cars when they run your plate or name it comes up with whether you are licensed to carry concealed. VA doesn't require a license for open carry.

As far as I know the individual on the stop should notify the LEO that you are armed as soon as possible during the stop.

I have never been stopped while CCw-ing.... but I have made a decision that I will always notify right up front.

Why... out of respect and coutesy... and hope it buys me some "brownie points" for being such.

I personally see no downside if I just state... (After he introduces himself and states what he wants)... when it is my turn to talk I will say.... (keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times - in plain site)

"Hello officer, I would like to let you know right up front as a coutesy, that I am a legal conceal carry permit holder and currently have my firearm on me. How would you like me to proceed or what would you like me to do?"

Even if you get an officer who is "edgy" at least you have been up front. If you get a relaxed offcer who understands CCW, they will be more at ease.

I just think (my opinion only) that there is no downside to being polite and stating your being courteous right up front.... hey a little "ass kissing just may get you a warning and no ticket... let the officer find out you have a firearm and you surprised him.... you'll get one for sure (LEO's don't like surprises except on their birthdays)!!!

My state is not a "must inform" state, however...

IMO, it is always good to inform if stopped...I'd rather avoid misunderstandings that might make things go south.

I am a retired LEO who sits on an area review board so most local officers know me and that I carry, but any I do not know get my permit and retired badge when they get my DL...I've been shot before and would rather avoid doing it again.

:pleasantry:

LEO stop

G50AE: I have read on different forums that some states get quite hostile about those badges and can charge you with impersonating a LEO. I wish that there was some way of identifying oneself as having CCW license and not making the LEO uncomfortable but apparently there is none. I will do as previously mentioned, hold on to the steering wheel while telling the officer I am carrying and not act like I want to reach for something. Hope I don't get a big itch at that time which needs scratching!!:biggrin:

So are you recomending carrying one of those CCW badges to hand to the cops when pulled over?

PAX is a retired LEO he is carrying a retired LEO badge. He said he presents his carry permit and his retired LEO badge, not a CCW badge.

IMO CCW badge is a no-go. You are already carrying a permit to satisfy any questions that may be asked by someone who should be asking.

So are you recomending carrying one of those CCW badges to hand to the cops when pulled over?

In keeping with the tone of your response...

So...are you comprehension challenged or did you just misread my post?

:laugh:

Many police agencies issue a replica of one's duty badge with the word "Retired" added upon retirement...a far different animal than a "CCW Badge". The badge and/or the ID that comes with it is actually sufficient without a CHL...but I choose to have the permit also. The badge merely affords me a little extra courtesy from officers who do not know me.

G50AE: ...I wish that there was some way of identifying oneself as having CCW license and not making the LEO uncomfortable but apparently there is none.

I wholeheartedly agree. As I can understand a LEO's apprehension in a traffic stop with someone who is armed (other than them) but I agree, you would think that once you give them your CCW ID that they would at least feel less threaten since the state has deemed you eligible to carry, the way they do when dealing with a retired LEO. As a LEO, I would worry more about people without a permit who may be mentally unstable, or have incidents in their past that may cause a confrontation.

Does anyone have any incident about CCW having a shootout with a LEO?

I wish that there was some way of identifying oneself as having CCW license and not making the LEO uncomfortable but apparently there is none. I will do as previously mentioned, hold on to the steering wheel while telling the officer I am carrying and not act like I want to reach for something. Hope I don't get a big itch at that time which needs scratching!!:biggrin:

A few suggestions:

1. Carry your wallet in your "weak side" hip pocket.

2. When stopped, remove your wallet from the pocket and toss it on the dashboard...then hands on steering wheel until the officer is at the window and asks for license.

3. Present the CHL with the license...the officer will normally ask at that time if you are carrying...tell him and tell him where it is.

No system is foolproof, but this is less likely to cause alarm than any other method I have found. The officer may be a bit put off to see you getting your wallet, but as long as you do not turn around while he approaches and have your hands in view when he arrives at the window, things are very unlikely to "go south".

YMMV

Badges

G50: Hey old son, lighten up on Pax Mentis. As a retired LEO he has gotten some perks that the rest of us do not have. His retired badge is something to be proud of and you would do the same thing if you had one. It seems more like you are jealous of him rather than making an observation about CCW badges. Let's not get personal about his good fortune. An entry should have some merit concerning the subject, not the writer.:biggrin:

Kindly note that even though you must notify an LEO when you are carrying that does not mean you run over to any LEO you see and inform or inform an LEO when you come into contact with him or her thru your personal travel around town. It is when the LEO is in the course of his duties that include you that you must inform.

I made a list about a year ago. I'm pretty sure it's still accurate. The states in which you must inform LEO that you are carrying are:

N. Carolina
S. Carolina
Ohio
Michigan
Louisiana
Arkansas
Texas
Oklahoma
Nebraska
Yes, in South Carolina you still must inform LEO you are carrying IMMEDIATELY upon any interaction with them.

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back