When to tell a LEO you are packing?

G50AE

Many police agencies issue a replica of one's duty badge with the word "Retired" added upon retirement...a far different animal than a "CCW Badge". The badge and/or the ID that comes with it is actually sufficient without a CHL...but I choose to have the permit also.

OK, I see it's kinda like those people who go to five star restaurants and try to get a better table from the host because, "they know the chef". Got news for ya, if you were on a first name basis with a five star chef, you would not be talking to the host.

The badge merely affords me a little extra courtesy from officers who do not know me.

Or another way of looking at it is to compare your actions to those of a fourty-something alumnist who shows up at homecoming in his fraternity letter shirt hoping to bum a few beers off of the current student membership. Law enforcement is serious business, it's not Lambda Epsilon Omega fraternity. You're attitude an actions trivialize law enforcement agentcies to the level of the Fred Flintstone's Water Buffalo Lodge.

Oldgrunt

Badges

G50: Hey old son, lighten up on Pax Mentis. As a retired LEO he has gotten some perks that the rest of us do not have. His retired badge is something to be proud of and you would do the same thing if you had one. It seems more like you are jealous of him rather than making an observation about CCW badges. Let's not get personal about his good fortune. An entry should have some merit concerning the subject, not the writer.:biggrin:

kelcarry

Kindly note that even though you must notify an LEO when you are carrying that does not mean you run over to any LEO you see and inform or inform an LEO when you come into contact with him or her thru your personal travel around town. It is when the LEO is in the course of his duties that include you that you must inform.

G50AE

As a retired LEO he has gotten some perks that the rest of us do not have. His retired badge is something to be proud of and you would do the same thing if you had one.
"Retired LEO" is just another way of saying that he quit his job because he realized that he was over the hill and could not do it anymore. Growing old sucks some times, but look at the other option.

I do not expect perks from former employers. I do not ask for associate discounts with previous employers. Nor would I even think of going to the hotel I used to work at and ask to search the guest profile records.

G50AE

I decided it was time to update my list, so I went through each and every states .pdf file on Handgunlaws.com. It's really not that difficult, as they post the information about informing police right at the top. Most of the pages were listed as updated recently. As of today, here are the states that require you inform the LEO if you are carrying a firearm:

Alaska
Arkansas
Louisiana
Michigan
Nebraska
N.Carolina
S.Carolina
Ohio
Oklahoma
Texas

Since these seem to change more frequently than I imagined,, I would plan on checking this site just before traveling. Better to be safe than sorry if one were to be stopped. Hope this helps.
Seems to be an odd mishmash of states. With the exceptions of Louisiana, Michigan, and N.Carolina, those are all solid red states.

janus

"Retired LEO" is just another way of saying that he quit his job because he realized that he was over the hill and could not do it anymore. Growing old sucks some times, but look at the other option.

I do not expect perks from former employers. I do not ask for associate discounts with previous employers. Nor would I even think of going to the hotel I used to work at and ask to search the guest profile records.
How did you get to be so full of shit?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gknybel