when do you talk to kids about ccw

scfd5

So i just got my permit a few months back for mn. I mostly carry concealed but going to the range or around the house sometimes i open carry. When do i talk to the kids about it so i am not in a bank line and my 3 year old asks about my gun at the top of her voice. I have a 10,5,and 3 year old gilrs and both the wife and i carry. Just wondering other thought and experiances.

I have 2 boys, ages 5 and 8. Both know I carry, and a time or two have said or asked things in public places that I would have rather them not said. Luckily, nobody was paying any attention. I have since told them in various ways that it is not for discussion in public. They have mostly became used to it and rarely bring it up anymore. I also used the advised responsible tactics of removing all the curiousity out of me carrying a firearm or them seeing me carrying on occasion. I'm sure you and your wife are familiar with these tactics, they seemed to have worked for me and my sons. Good luck.

My 11 year old has been shooting for 2 years and sees me carry. He has had a lot of questions and I have answered each one, every time. I have been careful to talk to him about when and who not to discuss CCW with (aka in public). It has been very easy and he and I enjoy the time at the range and the shows.

Mine are 6.5, 3, 6 weeks....Right now the only one I trust to tell...the 6 week old as he can't speak lol...seriously though, I've had "the talk" about guns with the other two and it's an ongoing discussion. But neither of them know that I bring a firearm out of the house. I almost exclusively pocket carry though. When I go IWB and bring something bigger, I may discuss it with them.

My thought is, kids sometimes say things because they are mad at you for not getting them (fill in whatever they want that hour) and will say things just to get attention. They don't really understand that saying DADDY WHERE'S YOUR GUN at the highest volume possible is not the best thing.

We tell our kids there are a lot of words they shouldn't say, that doesn't mean they never do. But every kid is different and you know yours far better than I would ever pretend to. The 10 year old, you're pretty safe. The other two may be a tad young to really get it anyway.

Good Luck and I'm from MN too...Congrats on the permit!

My 5 year old doesn't know I carry as I'm afraid she'll bring it up in line somewhere like kids will do.

I have 3 kids - 14, 10 & 3. They all know I carry and I make no secret of it to them. I carry inside and outside of the house. The only trouble I've had from them is actually from my oldest. We were in the store one night and she wrapped her arms around me from the side and then says "Ouch! Was that your gun?" :-( Woops. That was awkward since it was a busy time and we were surrounded by people. I just kept hugging her and led her out of that aisle and into another one to explain to her that we dont discuss that.

my 4 year old knows that "daddy carries a gun to keep her safe" and its a secret that i have it.

If you change that to an 8 yr old boy. That's my kids and my arrangement, he knows it's to protect him and my fiancé. And he knows no ones supposed to know about it!

My 3 year old nephew who lives with me knows I carry he never asks. I guess its natural as he has seen a gun on me as long as he has known me.

With me, wearing a gun is like wearing pants. I just don't leave the house without either one. My children are used to seeing dad with a gun & wouldn't bring it up.

My children are 3 & 8. Both of whom have been to the range with me and are very aware of gun safety. I would even put my 8 year old daughter up against most adults as far as firearm safety and knowledge goes.

My point is it is never too early to educate your children.

kids

Mine are 7 & 10. I started taking to them about it 2 years ago. About a year before I got my CCW. I talk to them on a regular basis about guns and try to answer any questions while we are at home. It didn't take long for them to learn that we can talk about it at home but that it is a secret when we go out. Try to answer questions before they ask in public. I has worked well for me.

My son (6yo) knows that mom and dad carry and that it is not to be blabbed about. We explained early on that talking about guns in public(especially at school) was not a good idea. If he wants to handle a gun, all he needs to do is ask. He also knows the safety rules and will let me know if I'm not concealed(at home). Not sure when exactly we started, probably was when he started pre-k.

So i just got my permit a few months back for mn. I mostly carry concealed but going to the range or around the house sometimes i open carry. When do i talk to the kids about it so i am not in a bank line and my 3 year old asks about my gun at the top of her voice. I have a 10,5,and 3 year old gilrs and both the wife and i carry. Just wondering other thought and experiances.

If it's properly concealed, your kids should not even notice that you 'are' carrying, unless they like to hug you a lot (like my kid does). That's the only time my wife and kid ever really notice it, but they are so used to it now that it's no big deal to them.

With that said, You probably should bring your kids to the shooting range with you once in a while.
Teach them how to 'safely' handle & target practice with a little .22 caliber handgun.
If it's not a great big 'mystery' to them, then it will become very normal for them to know that dad carries a pistol along with his cell phone.
~Best of Luck & Stay Safe~

I have three kids. 7,9,12. All three have been shooting since each was about five. I have taught them the basic firearms rules, amd they know and follow them well. I have even tought some of thier friends. They know i carry when we are out, and that its not to be talked about. Not even to thier friends. You can ask the youngest, and she'll tell you that daddy carries to protect is from bad guys. They will even let me know if my cary piece is showing, and adjust my shirt or jacket for me.

At the time our kids were growing up, it was my husband's task to teach them about guns. I was 'twopid at the time...:biggrin: I am glad they learned early. Kids should learn early...and for as long as they live under our roof, training doesn't stop, not only on guns but also teaching them how to not to mix colours inside the washing machine.

The day that I received my permit I was at the store with my wife and son who was three at the time. While we were in line my son lifted my shirt on my carry side. I was carrying IWB so the handle to my Glock 26 was exposed. It wasn't an accident, I could tell by the look on his face. No one noticed but it was still embarrassing. So I gave him the daddy is about to need a new son stare and then talked to about it when we got home. I guess you could say that he has since been saturated with gun culture so it’s not something he pays much attention to anymore.

All 3 of my kids, 1 Daughter and 2 sons all started hunting with me by the time they were around 8 years old and started shooting by 10 years of age. But they were around guns/hunting since they were born. Really wasn't/ isn't an issue with them. Only advice I can give is start teaching them as soon as you think they are mature enough to comprehend what you are teaching them. Or old enough to pick up what your putting down.

I explained to my daughter a few years ago that my CCW was there to protect us and it worked better if it was a supprise to anyone tring to hurt us. She would ask me to carry after that!

My kids are 16 and 11 and they have both known since I took my class. My son had a lot of questions at first, but he's pretty relaxed about it now. My daughter had no interest at all, but since she drives our cars, and the CCW is tagged to our license plates, we would have had to tell her anyway.

Both mine (9&12) have know from the begining. Now, my 12yr old son consistantly OC's or CC's his airsoft guns.

We've also had a talk about allowing his guns to be seen in public & the dangers of a sheeple seeing them. He's had a few strange looks while riding his bike to the neighbors. So, now he packs it all up in a backpack until he get to where he's gonna play.
  • He always carries a PC "Airsoft" gun; a "Bug" and extra mags.
  • He takes exceptional good care of all his airsoft guns and has even amased a pretty good collection. (Owning more "airsoft" guns than I own real ones.)
  • He practices "SAFE" handling AND--
  • He's been able to teach his friends safe practices and proper terminology (firearm speak)
He's also the "airsoft" war champ of the neighborhood. :triniti:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back