When can chambered round lead to A-D ?

OK, here's an example of what I have been talking about ------- hot off the press. Yesterday, an Alabama guy retrieved his Glock pistol from the glove compartment of his truck and as he walked back to his house, he tripped and fell, causing the gun to discharge into his leg. As the guy was calling to wife for help, his young son arrived at the scene and picked-up the pistol. As his wife arrived, the boy inadvertently touched the trigger, shooting his mother in the neck.

In my opinion, this was a totally preventable accident. I am assuming that as the guy tripped, he accidentally pulled the trigger (probably a reflex response), causing the discharge. It does not sound like he intentionally pulled the trigger. Had this Glock had a manual safety, this double tragedy never would have occurred.

You can call the guy dumb, stupid or any name under the sun, the fact remains that this was an accident, pure and simple, that could have been prevented with a simple manual safety ---- the type of safety design feature that has been around for over 100 years, that Glock continues to ignore, at least with respect pistols it sells in the U.S.

This guy sounds like the poster boy for gun safety... not.

First, why did he have a gun free flowing in his glove box, not having any gun, let alone a Glock, in some type of holster like that is asking for it.

Why was he walking around with a loaded gun in his hand, especially with kids around? Why was it pointed at his leg? Why did he not have it in a holster?

Had this Glock had a manual safety, this double tragedy never would have occurred.

Well, not really. Based on the story it does not sound like the guy would have used the manual safety even if it existed on the Glock.

I am a competitive shooter (Defensive and CMP) and I have only had 1 A-D in my life. I don't CC, but I put so many rounds downrange that I can be considered a person with knowledge of guns haha. The only AD I had was with an SKS rifle. It was pointed in the only safe direction, down. I was loading it, and we were doing defensive shooting as if in a house and your rifle was the only thing you had. I chose the SKS because I like the feel of it. Anyways, I was reloading and aiming down and when I put the mag in the gun, the bolt slipped and the firing pin was stuck in the fire position. The bullet grazed my toe and it bled a hell of a lot. But I have shot a lot more and I have never had another AD since. It's a rare occurrence, but it does happen. Just always be prepared for the worst. Remember Murphy's Law. Whatever can go wrong, will. Just always be prepared.

Rushfan AD

I am a competitive shooter (Defensive and CMP) and I have only had 1 A-D in my life. I don't CC, but I put so many rounds downrange that I can be considered a person with knowledge of guns haha. The only AD I had was with an SKS rifle. It was pointed in the only safe direction, down. I was loading it, and we were doing defensive shooting as if in a house and your rifle was the only thing you had. I chose the SKS because I like the feel of it. Anyways, I was reloading and aiming down and when I put the mag in the gun, the bolt slipped and the firing pin was stuck in the fire position. The bullet grazed my toe and it bled a hell of a lot. But I have shot a lot more and I have never had another AD since. It's a rare occurrence, but it does happen. Just always be prepared for the worst. Remember Murphy's Law. Whatever can go wrong, will. Just always be prepared.

OUCH! Hate it when that happens...

The only AD I had was with an SKS rifle. It was pointed in the only safe direction, down. Anyways, I was reloading and aiming down and when I put the mag in the gun, the bolt slipped and the firing pin was stuck in the fire position. The bullet grazed my toe and it bled a hell of a lot.

Respectfully, if the gun was actually pointed in a safe direction, you would not have shot yourself in the foot...

Respectfully, if the gun was actually pointed in a safe direction, you would not have shot yourself in the foot...

That is very true, but I was young and dumb! The range master told me to keep it in a safe direction for reloading, and technically the only safe direction was at the ground, and I was stupid enough to have the barrel towards my foot. I really didn't mean too, but we all make mistakes, how else would we learn?

I normally carry a DAO J-Frame (642 in pocket or 640 on belt.) I have not had one of those 1 1/2 pound "slick as butter" trigger pull jobs done, trigger is stock. I also have, and sometimes carry, a Glock 23. I had the NY trigger put in for safety purposes. Yes, it is not a "slick" target trigger but practice has made me quite proficient with it. The main thing is that it takes a very deliberate effort to fire the pistol.

I have been nearly shot twice (USMC Retired) and both times by an external safety bearing 1911. Both times were due to operator error and not by the gun. I carried a loaded 1911 for thirty years and never had an ND.

Lesson? External safeties do not guarantee protection against stupidity.

I have watched far too many so called experienced CCW types take their weapons out of the holster with their finger on the trigger! Make a conscious effort to keep your finger "indexed " on the side of the gun and wear holsters that cover trigger.

By watching other people shoot themselves in the foot! ..... I am totally sorry, I just couldn't resist that one...

Haha it's fine, I had a giggle myself! But that is true! i'm sure everybody at the range that day figured out it's a bad idea to have a gun pointed at your foot!

If you've ever seen, or done any training it always starts out with you having a firearm that is ready. That is, loaded, and cocked.

Now that's not quite true. While the basic training courses work that way, more advanced ones deal with starting from all different gun conditions (loaded empty champer, magazine out of the gun, etc). I get the point you're trying to make, but I believe some clarification was in order.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back