When can chambered round lead to A-D ?

I know that many Glock owners feel that it is perfectly safe to carry the weapon with a round in the chamber. In recent years, Glock has done nothing to discourage this practice. But that was not always the case. In fact, the gun was never designed to be carried with a round in the chamber. My early Glock manual states:

ALWAYS CARRY YOUR PISTOL EMPTY, WITH THE TRIGGER REARWARD EXCEPT WHEN YOU INTEND TO SHOOT, SO THAT THAT YOUR PISTOL CANNOT BE FIRED WHERE IT IS UNSAFE TO DO SO.

Thay all say that it's a liability thing. Galco tells you you should never carry a weapon in their holsters w/ a round in the chamber

Thay all say that it's a liability thing. Galco tells you you should never carry a weapon in their holsters w/ a round in the chamber

I have no comment about Galco, except to say that they make excellent holsters and gun cases.

When you say its a liability thing, I don't really buy that. When Glock provides you with an operator's manual describing the features and function of the pistol, how it should be operated, what is safe and unsafe, I think you should be able to take what they say at face value, and not have to guess whether they really mean it or whether its just "hype" or "cover your *ss" language. Is it then Ok to just pick and choose which statements in the manual you want to follow and disregard the others?

If Glock designed the pistol to safely carried with a round in the chamber, then why didn't they just say so? Instead, they tell you it's unsafe to do so.

However, my guess is that most Glock owners feel the same way that you do and carry with a round in the chamber. Then when some poor guy makes a mistake and inadvertently touches the trigger when holstering, and blows a hole in his leg, Glock can tell him to take a hike because he was stupid enough to carry the gun with a round in the chamber in violation of the warning in its manual.

Is that what you meant?

When I first bought, started carrying my g19, I was a little sceptical about having a round in the chamber. I now have1300 round thru it and no longer think about it. Other then safe handling.
Could I have a AD. I suppose. But it will be my fault.
I know its loaded, ALL the time.

When ever I have to pull it out of the holster, I keep my trigger finger dead straight. I think that every time.
I hope to never take it for granted. I also want it to go bang when I need it to. Otherwise I should carry a stick

I have no comment about Galco, except to say that they make excellent holsters and gun cases.

When you say its a liability thing, I don't really buy that. When Glock provides you with an operator's manual describing the features and function of the pistol, how it should be operated, what is safe and unsafe, I think you should be able to take what they say at face value, and not have to guess whether they really mean it or whether its just "hype" or "cover your *ss" language. Is it then Ok to just pick and choose which statements in the manual you want to follow and disregard the others?

If Glock designed the pistol to safely carried with a round in the chamber, then why didn't they just say so? Instead, they tell you it's unsafe to do so.

However, my guess is that most Glock owners feel the same way that you do and carry with a round in the chamber. Then when some poor guy makes a mistake and inadvertently touches the trigger when holstering, and blows a hole in his leg, Glock can tell him to take a hike because he was stupid enough to carry the gun with a round in the chamber in violation of the warning in its manual.

Is that what you meant?

What I mean is that a negligent discharge is never the fault of the weapon. The key to your third paragraph is that in order for the ND to happen the operator must make a mistake. Again, the ND is never the fault of the weapon.

I don’t own a GLOCK but if I did I would carry a round in the chamber I carry a round in the chamber on all my carry guns, none of which have the safety engaged. I’ve not had an ND w/ any of them.

Part of your training needs to be that you never put your finger on the trigger until your sights are on the target period

Where in the Glock manual does it say not to carry it with one in the chamber?

This is what I read in the Glock manual:

To reduce the possibility of an accidental discharge, do not place your finger on the trigger until the firearm is pointed at the target and you intend to fire. If you don't want the firearm to fire, keep your finger off the trigger.

I've got one of these and it works great. It takes care of the round-in-chamber Glock issue for those who are uncomfortable with it.

Link Removed

I've got one of these and it works great. It takes care of the round-in-chamber Glock issue for those who are uncomfortable with it.

This is just my opinion but you can't really say it works great until you get some data on how well it works in a self defense situation.

Personally, I train to cut the number of fine motor skills I need to use in a self defense situation as much as I possibly can

Where in the Glock manual does it say not to carry it with one in the chamber?

This is from the original manual for the first generation Glock 17, published in August of 1986.

It also states: DO NOT CARRY PISTOL IN COCKED POSITION (TRIGGER IN FOREMOST POSITION). THIS IS NOT THE RECOMMENDED SAFE-CARRYING METHOD.

This is from the original manual for the first generation Glock 17, published in August of 1986.

It also states: DO NOT CARRY PISTOL IN COCKED POSITION (TRIGGER IN FOREMOST POSITION). THIS IS NOT THE RECOMMENDED SAFE-CARRYING METHOD.

Oh, come on. Thousands of law enforcement and private citizens carry Glocks, or guns w/similar mechanisms everyday with a round in the chamber. Do you really think that Glocks, or guns that use similar mechanisms would be issued to law enforcement, who are likely required by department policy to carry "cocked and locked" if they were not safe to do so?

It's not just Glocks lack a manual safety, Springfield, Walther, Rugger, S&W, name a gun manufacturer and they likely have a gun model(s) that utilizes the same type of safety mechanisms that Glocks do. With the exception of 1911s it's actually difficult to find a modern gun (polymer anyway) that is equipped with a manual safety.

People always talk about the people who had an ND with a Glock... but what about the NDs that happen that don't involve a Glock? Why don't people whine that those guns are not safe?

It's really a ridiculous argument and I'm not sure why people insist on having it. Keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to shoot. Use a proper holster, and pay attention to what you are doing.

Oh, come on. Thousands of law enforcement and private citizens carry Glocks, or guns w/similar mechanisms everyday with a round in the chamber. Do you really think that Glocks, or guns that use similar mechanisms would be issued to law enforcement, who are likely required by department policy to carry "cocked and locked" if they were not safe to do so?

What I quoted came directly from the original Glock manual, at the time the gun was first sold in the United States. So if you have a problem with it, complain to Glock. Based on what is stated in the manual, however, it seems clear that the gun was not originally designed to be carried with a round in the chamber.

What I quoted came directly from the original Glock manual, at the time the gun was first sold in the United States. So if you have a problem with it, complain to Glock. Based on what is stated in the manual, however, it seems clear that the gun was not originally designed to be carried with a round in the chamber.

It's no different than the notice: "Caution Contents are HOT" on a McDonald's coffee cup

It's no different than the notice: "Caution Contents are HOT" on a McDonald's coffee cup

I think the language is a little stronger than that. It's more like: "Danger: Don't Drink this Coffee"

Look, the truth is that nothing I can say is going to change anybody's mind on this issue, except perhaps the guy with the limp. For most Glock owners who are careful and follow safe gun handling practices, they will never have an AD/ND. That is true for most any firearm. However, the purpose of any safety mechanism is to protect those people who do make a mistake. And it happens.

OK, here's an example of what I have been talking about ------- hot off the press. Yesterday, an Alabama guy retrieved his Glock pistol from the glove compartment of his truck and as he walked back to his house, he tripped and fell, causing the gun to discharge into his leg. As the guy was calling to wife for help, his young son arrived at the scene and picked-up the pistol. As his wife arrived, the boy inadvertently touched the trigger, shooting his mother in the neck.

In my opinion, this was a totally preventable accident. I am assuming that as the guy tripped, he accidentally pulled the trigger (probably a reflex response), causing the discharge. It does not sound like he intentionally pulled the trigger. Had this Glock had a manual safety, this double tragedy never would have occurred.

You can call the guy dumb, stupid or any name under the sun, the fact remains that this was an accident, pure and simple, that could have been prevented with a simple manual safety ---- the type of safety design feature that has been around for over 100 years, that Glock continues to ignore, at least with respect pistols it sells in the U.S.

OK, here's an example of what I have been talking about ------- hot off the press. Yesterday, an Alabama guy retrieved his Glock pistol from the glove compartment of his truck and as he walked back to his house, he tripped and fell, causing the gun to discharge into his leg. As the guy was calling to wife for help, his young son arrived at the scene and picked-up the pistol. As his wife arrived, the boy inadvertently touched the trigger, shooting his mother in the neck.

In my opinion, this was a totally preventable accident. I am assuming that as the guy tripped, he accidentally pulled the trigger (probably a reflex response), causing the discharge. It does not sound like he intentionally pulled the trigger. Had this Glock had a manual safety, this double tragedy never would have occurred.

You can call the guy dumb, stupid or any name under the sun, the fact remains that this was an accident, pure and simple, that could have been prevented with a simple manual safety ---- the type of safety design feature that has been around for over 100 years, that Glock continues to ignore, at least with respect pistols it sells in the U.S.

I see what you are saying but (Treo's got a big ol but oh yeah) GLOCKs don't have hair triggers. You don't just touch the trigger and it "goes off" you have to actually be pulling on the trigger to get it to fire.

This accident could have been just as easily prevented by keeping your finger off the trigger

I see what you are saying but (Treo's got a big ol but oh yeah) GLOCKs don't have hair triggers. You don't just touch the trigger and it "goes off" you have to actually be pulling on the trigger to get it to fire.

This accident could have been just as easily prevented by keeping your finger off the trigger

I do own a Glock with a standard trigger, and it doesn't take much to pull 5.5 lbs., and particularly if you are tripping and falling.

I do own a Glock with a standard trigger, and it doesn't take much to pull 5.5 lbs., and particularly if you are tripping and falling.

Which doesn't change my statement at all This accident could have been just as easily prevented by keeping your finger off the trigger

I've woke out of a sound sleep w/ my gun in my hand and my finger was right where it was supposed to be, indexed along the frame of the weapon. Muscle memory

I've woke out of a sound sleep w/ my gun in my hand and my finger was right where it was supposed to be said:
Not that it's any of my business, but what the hell are you doing sleeping with a gun in your hand? That does sound like an accident waiting to happen.

Well, each to his own. But I feel much more confident to know that I can unholster and fire without a lot of pushing or pulling on levers or buttons.
I didn't chamber a round for about 90 days after I got my first Glock. Then, when I learned to handle the firearm without blowing something off I started carrying hot. I consider the Glock very safe, but not necessarily for those who are not proficient, or afraid or unsure of their firearm and it's operation. It's a tactical weapon - that means ready to go, now.

Not that it's any of my business, but what the hell are you doing sleeping with a gun in your hand? That does sound like an accident waiting to happen.

I don't sleep w/ a gun in my hand I grabbed it off the night table during a bad dream. I've also pushed my wife out of bed in the middle of the night because I heard machine gun fire that wasn't there

I don't sleep w/ a gun in my hand I grabbed it off the night table during a bad dream. I've also pushed my wife out of bed in the middle of the night because I heard machine gun fire that wasn't there

Sorry, I didn't mean to pry.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back