Whats your Favorite Knife

hogsrus146

I have a Smith & Wesson Oasis. Surgical Steel blade, it works great! I really like it! I wish it was made in USA! Which manufactures are American?

A Gerber Gator that I've had for probably 20 years. Carry it every day unless I have to dress up (which is not often).
I'm one of those lucky guys with a good paying job where there's no dress code. I wear jeans and t-shirts every day. (Hence, no one really notices the knife on my belt).

With that said my first choice in a weapon would probably be my pen, in a close quarters encounter. Easier to get to.

Swiss Army. Gotta love it, an army knife from a country that hasn't had a war in 500 years. I like the spoon and the bottle opener is a must.

i have a westmark hunting knife with a 4 1/2 blade i've had for 15+ years and it's the best.
you can shave with it, skin a deer or two and shave with it again. i only touch it up with
a steel occasionally, and NEVER leave it in the sheath unless i'm out hunting.
have a older green buck folding knife that's almost as good.
it's not the knife so much as how you care for them. some are a little easier to sharpen and keep sharp but they all work as knives.
NOT used as pry bars, hammers, hatchets wire cutters, etc.

i have a westmark hunting knife with a 4 1/2 blade i've had for 15+ years and it's the best.
you can shave with it, skin a deer or two and shave with it again. i only touch it up with
a steel occasionally, and NEVER leave it in the sheath unless i'm out hunting.
have a older green buck folding knife that's almost as good.
it's not the knife so much as how you care for them. some are a little easier to sharpen and keep sharp but they all work as knives.
NOT used as pry bars, hammers, hatchets wire cutters, etc.

Wait...
no cutting wire?? blasphemer!

Buck knives are great, and they are made in the U.S.A. I own three versions. I also have a few Gerbers which are ok.

I have a Smith & Wesson Oasis. Surgical Steel blade, it works great! I really like it! I wish it was made in USA! Which manufactures are American?

It seems most the manufacturers are using soft Chinese Stainless in their inexpensive low end knives. While cheep stainless is less prone to discolor and easy to sharpen it doesn't hold an edge dulling quickly with mild use. If you're on a budget looking for a decent EDC knife look for knives using AUS 8 (Japanese) stainless in the blade, such as the Link Removed (assembled in the USA). Or 14C28N Sandvik stainless (Sweden) used in the Link Removed (Made in the USA). If you're looking for the best quality steels look for CM 154, S30V and D2 Steels. Such as the Link Removed made in the USA with American CM 154 Stainless.

Emerson's knives are made in the USA using CM 154 (American steel). My EDC is an Emerson CQC 11

Link Removed

It seems most the manufacturers are using soft Chinese Stainless in their inexpensive low end knives. While cheep stainless is less prone to discolor and easy to sharpen it doesn't hold an edge dulling quickly with mild use. If you're on a budget looking for a decent EDC knife look for knives using AUS 8 (Japanese) stainless in the blade, such as the Link Removed (assembled in the USA). Or 14C28N Sandvik stainless (Sweden) used in the Link Removed (Made in the USA). If you're looking for the best quality steels look for CM 154, S30V and D2 Steels. Such as the Link Removed made in the USA with American CM 154 Stainless.

Emerson's knives are made in the USA using CM 154 (American steel). My EDC is an Emerson CQC 11

Link Removed

I've carried a CRKT M16-13T for 5 or so years now. Really like it. Blade holds an edge well, handle is 'self healing' titanium, so it doesn't show scratches, and the Carson flip opener is really handy for one handed operation. Made in Taiwan unfortunately, but it is AUS8 steel and has Teflon washers on the pivot point for a smooth deployment and a liner lock. Got my dad an M16-13Z for his birthday a few years back which is the same blade but has Zytel handles and is about half the cost.

Columbia River M16-13T CRKT M16-13T Titanium Handle Combo Edge Knife

I have several knives. My general purpose is a CRKT (Columbia River Knife and Tool) M-16z. Great knife to beat up and still takes more of it. Need to sharpen regularly, but that's my fault, I de-tempered the blade accidentally but for around $30.00 can't go wrong.

I have a Smith & Wesson "SWAT".

It goes with me everywhere anytime I leave the safety of my home.

Us it mostly as a letter opener though, box opener, to cut off the heads of rattlesnakes, and for CQB self defense in bar fights.

Whatever knife is in my pocket when I need it automatically becomes my favorite knife. I carry a knife every day, and vary which one I carry. Most often I probably carry a folding slip joint knife I made myself.

I carry a gerber multitool every day and a Craftsman lock blade that looks very much like a buck 110 but only costs half as much

I carry a Kabar TDI in a Mag Pouch/Sheath by Dale Fricke strictly for retention/backup and a Swiss Army knife to open packages, mail. & ETC.

Benchmade Griptilian. It's a little smaller than I would like, but it's fast, light, and razor sharp. I'd love a 6" model, but they don't make them.

A CRKT M21-04 (the smooth edged big brother of their M16 series) or a SOG Pentagon II is in my off side pocket every day. If I'm in a state where automatics are legal, they get set to the side and I carry my Benchmade AFO. The strong side front pocket carries one of 3 little knives- a stag scale Case Barlow, a stag scaled Bear Mfg. 2 blade trapper or a SOG Twitch II. (I really like the Twitch II but I'm left handed and you can't reverse the pocket clip on it.) Every once in a while I break out my Benchmade Mel Perdue and carry it in my strong side front pocket but not too often because I worry about losing it since it's has carbon fiber scales and weighs next to nothing. It's so light that I figure I'll lose it and not realize it's gone.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back