What's your favorite gun oil?

Cooking lard and axle grease just don't get it. For the small amount of RemOil or Tetra Gun Grease it takes to lube a handgun properly it is well worth the money. People in the old days did not have a chance at these products but we do so why not take advantage of them? A firearm that will defend your life is surely worth using good cleaning and lube products. When you buy a gun do you walk in and say "just give me something cheap to defend my life with"? Or do you want something you know you can depend on? Seriously, use good cleaning/lube products, it's not money wasted.

:triniti:

I'm sure you realize I said that just as a example, and as I have said nothing against the guys that want to spend money on gun cleaning supplys, but honestly that gun is not going to care if its cleaned with brake parts cleaner or WD-40, and lubed with motor, (oil I prefer a 5w20 synthetic) and a light coating of antiseize on the slide, or Hoppys#9 and Rem oil, years ago I even used my grandmother sewing machine oil, the rifles pistols and shotgun ran fine with no issues...........and I guess you would never strip down your Glock and put it in the dish washer, blow it off with a air compressor, and a couple of drops of motor oil....and on a Glock the motor oil is optional, LOL

Sage words... but I wonder how many of the folks that read what you say will heed them.

Unfortunatly as you can see probably not many, I also would guess they would not want to hear about the about the army and marine guys that rinsed of there gun in muddy pond water cause it got to hot to shoot, and I'm also sure that at the time it had been many rds since that gun had seen oil or lube of any kind........LOL.....and if they were lucky enough to bring that gun home, its proably worth several thousand dollars

I have used almost everything over the years. U use Br3ak free c1p and that is all I use now. Works and works good.

It depends on what type of gun it is and what I'm shooting out of it.

For black powder guns- cartridge, cap and ball or front stuffer- I use ballistol for both cleaning (diluted 10 to 1 with hot water- I like it better than soap or Moose Milk) and lube on the moving parts and use TC Bore Butter on the arbor or base pin of revolvers. For smokeless revolvers, I use Breakfree. On semi autos, I use an old tube of Outters Gun Slick on the slide rails and Breakfree on everything else.

Generic High mileage motor of the 5w30 variety

I've used pretty much everything on the market at one time or another but for the last two years I've settled on one oil - good old Mobile 1 Synthetic. It's takes the heat, doesn't get all paste-like from carbon and powder residue and it's a lot cheaper than the hybrid/gourmet oils. I even had it recommended by a well known subgun manufacturer at an armorers school. What say you all?

I've tried Gunzilla. On guns not used often, it tended to gum up after 6 months or so. Also, it does not like the cold climate (I'm at 42.5 degrees north). I tried to clean up my guns with Hoppes Elite and followed up with Rem oil, but that combo gummed up even worse. I was getting frustrated enough that I started documenting my cleaning practices in my shooting log, so I would know what worked and what didn't.

I eventually cleaned everything with Hopps #9 and lubed with a High mileage motor-oil (non synthetic, 5w30) I had on the shelf and have been quite satisfied. Works Summer through Winter. (22 and 12 gauge)

I have also used Hopps Elite as a cleaning agent and followed up with the High mileage motor oil on the LC9, and that combination worked as well.

I'd like to hear more how Hoppes #9 and Rem Oil gummed up your firearms. I've been using Rem Oil for quite some time. I have shot in the winters of Alaska as well and never had an issue with "gumming". Please provide more details.

I don't discount the use of motor oil, in fact it sounds like a great idea. I just would like to hear more about your experience with Rem Oil and possibly avoid an issue in the future.

Gunzilla or Hopes Elite PLUS Rem Oil is the problem, not Hoppes #9

I'd like to hear more how Hoppes #9 and Rem Oil gummed up your firearms. I've been using Rem Oil for quite some time. I have shot in the winters of Alaska as well and never had an issue with "gumming". Please provide more details.

I don't discount the use of motor oil, in fact it sounds like a great idea. I just would like to hear more about your experience with Rem Oil and possibly avoid an issue in the future.

It wasn't the #9 but the Hoppes Elite PLUS Rem-Oil that caused the problem.

I had been using Gunzilla ONLY, but started having the gumming issue, so I tried using Gunzilla to clean and Rem Oil to lube. Same trouble. I tried the Hoppes Elite to clean then Rem-oil to lube. Same problem. I really would like to use the more natural cleaning products, but they didn't play nice with the Rem-oil.

I switched back to the Hoppes #9 to clean up the mess, let everything dry (overnight) then tried the motor oil. No problems since.

Also, Hoppes Elite PLUS motor oil works in the LC9, and that has been working well, but I put more ammunition through it that anything else.

Milcom MC25 for cleaning, and for lube on the rails Milcom TW25B. For light oiling, I use M-Pro 7 oil.
I've also used Hoppe's but this is what I found works the best for what I have.
Most important thing is to keep your gun clean. No matter what cleaning or lubricating agent you use. there's no substitute for cleaning.

There are a wide range of useful products out there, some gun specific and many more are not. Lately I have been using Frog Lube paste and loving it. Cleaning is done with a brake cleaner...but I do miss the old formulas.

No matter what you use I believe handguns are cleaned and lubed pretty well now. I often wonder how well they were lubed back in the 1920's to 1940's. Also how well do thugs and criminals clean/lube? Did people like the Mafia do a good job? I also think if you carry IWB your gun stays warmer in the winter. Plus since most gunfights only last for maybe 1 to 5 rounds most guns with any lube at all should do fine.

:triniti:

It wasn't the #9 but the Hoppes Elite PLUS Rem-Oil that caused the problem.

I had been using Gunzilla ONLY, but started having the gumming issue, so I tried using Gunzilla to clean and Rem Oil to lube. Same trouble. I tried the Hoppes Elite to clean then Rem-oil to lube. Same problem. I really would like to use the more natural cleaning products, but they didn't play nice with the Rem-oil.

I switched back to the Hoppes #9 to clean up the mess, let everything dry (overnight) then tried the motor oil. No problems since.

Also, Hoppes Elite PLUS motor oil works in the LC9, and that has been working well, but I put more ammunition through it that anything else.

Thanks for the info... I use both Elite and Rem Oil. I have yet to notice these problems, but I will take them to the lab at work and see if I can figure out why they are gumming for you.

I use Hoppe's to clean and Rem Oil for lube and have no problems. I never heard of problems with Rem Oil. I would say the best way to find out about cleaning fluids and lubes are to see what the military and police departments use. I also like a little Tetra Gun Grease on the rails. I find it hard to believe there would be that big a problem with a product such as Rem Oil which has been around a while.

:big_boss:

Hoppes Elite, not Hoppes #9

I use Hoppe's to clean and Rem Oil for lube and have no problems. I never heard of problems with Rem Oil. I would say the best way to find out about cleaning fluids and lubes are to see what the military and police departments use. I also like a little Tetra Gun Grease on the rails. I find it hard to believe there would be that big a problem with a product such as Rem Oil which has been around a while.

:big_boss:

It's the Hoppes Elite, not the Hoppes #9 that was a problem with Rem Oil

Pig grease, use it on the bullets also, smells like bacon cooking if you have to use it on a Muslim terrorist.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back