What's your favorite gun oil?

I've used pretty much everything on the market at one time or another but for the last two years I've settled on one oil - good old Mobile 1 Synthetic. It's takes the heat, doesn't get all paste-like from carbon and powder residue and it's a lot cheaper than the hybrid/gourmet oils. I even had it recommended by a well known subgun manufacturer at an armorers school. What say you all?

I've got a bottle of Outer's that I've had since I was a teenager. It's about gone though, I'm gonna have to break down and get something else.
I'm not old enough to fart dust yet, but I'm getting there.

I wonder how Mobile 1 V-Twin would work? I've got a bunch of that in the garage. Thinking I'll refill my Outer's bottle with it.

I say I would like to bet you a cyber Internet lobster dinner with all the trimmings that...

We take two of the same guns, and side by side continue firing them constantly until one of them fails from carbon, crud and lack of lubrication. Most likely, the one lubed with the oil will be the one that failed.

Look at you AR take down pins, the frame where the slide meets on your pistol, etc. etc. You'll see oil there. That's oil that wants to run and escape from what it's suppose to be protecting. Oil will work well if you're only going to shoot a few hundred rounds with some breaks inbetween. Take a serious pistol / rifle training course or put your weapon through a serious training session and see how well oil does for you.

IMO, you're better off with lithium high temperature wheel bearing grease or Luberplate #10 grease. The exception being in environments below 30 degrees.

And just so you know, I like lots of cyber butter with my cyber lobster and a busty cyber waitress with artificial intelligence (A.I.).

You are right to a point. I too am a fan of grease on slide rails and grooves and certain bearing points on revolvers for the exact reason you stated - it doesn't migrate like oil. But whatever you use remember that there is no substitute for proper maintenance. I would hope that nobody would squirt oil on a gun and think they can shoot hundreds and hundreds of rounds with out some kind of maintenance in between.

Too much lube can be just a bad as no lube. Too much oil attracts carbon, dirt, sand and grit that when mixed with the oil makes a very nice grinding compound that causes accelerated wear to moving parts. Most firearms under normal condition are relatively oil-less systems. They don't require a lot of lube but they do require being cleaned and lubed often.

Am I really the only one that uses 3 in 1 oil ?

Well, you're the only one I've heard admit it!! :) In my opinion products like 3 in 1 oil and even Rem Oil are just too light a viscosity for guns. They don;t take heat well and they burn off and evaporate quickly.

What I like a lot is M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner and then M-Pro 7 Gun Oil. It's the best I've ever used but then I haven't used everything either. Later,

Am I really the only one that uses 3 in 1 oil ?
Not at all my friend; I have used 3 in One oil on my firearms since 05/1964; and continue to use it to this day. It's far cheaper than all of the marketed "Gun Oils"; and does a far better job IMHO!

FrogLube, It just works, sounds silly but it does. The wife thinks it smells nice to (that's always a plus).

I recently tried froglube, which seems to work as well as the break free clp I had always used in the past....it sure does smell a lot better!

I have used breakfree clp for years. Recently after talking to my range master i use a little rem oil after cleaning to help lubricate the moving parts. The combination works well for me.

Some guns like to have a little grease in them. For this i recommend HD firearm grease in the syringe

As long as you clean your gun after each range session, the perticular oil you use dont seem like a big deal, I'v even use motor oil, in most cases the gun wont know the differance, I also use grease in the rails of all my semi autos

I use Breakfree but like the Mobil synthetic idea. I polyurethane any wood to protect from moisture and apply car wax on exposed metal parts to do the same (yeah, I have things other than polymer, stainless, and synthetics -- basic old school)

As I have said before, nothing at all against the guys that want to mother over there guns and spend big buck on cleaning and lubricants, but for less than $10 you can get a qt of motor oil, a can of brake parts cleaner, and I'm sure everybody has a couple old T-shirts they can cut up, and if you have some extreamly heavy chamber or barrel deposits you use something called "combustion chamber cleaner", now please understand I'm not putting down break free or rem oil, they and several others are very fine products, and if you have the spare money to spend great, this may be a politicly incorrect anoligy, but remember 100 years ago nobody had heard of break free or rem oil, they had cooking lard and axle grease, and the cleaning kit consisted of a torn piece of old cloth and a strait stick, and some of these guns are still in our hands 100 years later, sorry for going on like this, but with the cost of ammo what it is, I just cannot justify spending $10 dollars for 4 onces of "gun oil"

As I have said before, nothing at all against the guys that want to mother over there guns and spend big buck on cleaning and lubricants, but for less than $10 you can get a qt of motor oil, a can of brake parts cleaner, and I'm sure everybody has a couple old T-shirts they can cut up, and if you have some extreamly heavy chamber or barrel deposits you use something called "combustion chamber cleaner", now please understand I'm not putting down break free or rem oil, they and several others are very fine products, and if you have the spare money to spend great, this may be a politicly incorrect anoligy, but remember 100 years ago nobody had heard of break free or rem oil, they had cooking lard and axle grease, and the cleaning kit consisted of a torn piece of old cloth and a strait stick, and some of these guns are still in our hands 100 years later, sorry for going on like this, but with the cost of ammo what it is, I just cannot justify spending $10 dollars for 4 onces of "gun oil"

Sage words... but I wonder how many of the folks that read what you say will heed them.

Cooking lard and axle grease just don't get it. For the small amount of RemOil or Tetra Gun Grease it takes to lube a handgun properly it is well worth the money. People in the old days did not have a chance at these products but we do so why not take advantage of them? A firearm that will defend your life is surely worth using good cleaning and lube products. When you buy a gun do you walk in and say "just give me something cheap to defend my life with"? Or do you want something you know you can depend on? Seriously, use good cleaning/lube products, it's not money wasted.

:triniti:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back