What's with Sig and reloads?

jmf552

I just got my new Sig P290RS w/factory laser today. I really like it. Can't wait to get it to the range tomorrow. But the Sig manual says that using reloads voids the warranty! What? I had not bought a new gun in quite a while and I generally never read the directions when I did. Is that common? Is it just some CYA thing?

I just got my new Sig P290RS w/factory laser today. I really like it. Can't wait to get it to the range tomorrow. But the Sig manual says that using reloads voids the warranty! What? I had not bought a new gun in quite a while and I generally never read the directions when I did. Is that common? Is it just some CYA thing?

Sig is not alone, almost every gun manufacturer say that the use of reloads will void their warranty

Thing is there really is no way they are going to know unless the rds are loaded "hot" then the manufacturer can tell from the ware on the gun, and yes there is a difference between hot reloads and just being shot a lot,........reloading to save money and for something to do is cool also if your really on top of your procedures you can be more uniform than the factory, but to intentionaly load hot to bump up speed, to me anyhow is stupid, EVERY time I have try something signifigintly hotter than factory, accuracy went to crap, and it seemed to really beat up the gun, and while it did not happen to me, a friends Glock 22 had a failure shooting a reload, it was a little to hot, blew out the back of the case and fired down threw the mag well, destroyed the gun, our gun guy laughed at it, and said no way he was sending that back to Glock..............anyways sorry for rambling, but this is exactly why your warranty gets voided.........

Yeah, I get the hot handload problem, but all I would shoot would be commercial, reloaded target ammo. The manual does not even specify pressures or +P categories. I says, "Use only high-quality, factory manufactured ammunition...of the caliber for which your firearm is chambered."

So if I take the manual at face value, I could shoot 9mm +P+ ammo in it, but standard pressure reloads void the warranty. I know there is a really low risk and that there is no way they would ever know. It's one of those "lawyer statements." I just find it irritating and what would be a better place to vent than here? :sarcastic:

Yeah, I get the hot handload problem, but all I would shoot would be commercial, reloaded target ammo. The manual does not even specify pressures or +P categories. I says, "Use only high-quality, factory manufactured ammunition...of the caliber for which your firearm is chambered."

So if I take the manual at face value, I could shoot 9mm +P+ ammo in it, but standard pressure reloads void the warranty. I know there is a really low risk and that there is no way they would ever know. It's one of those "lawyer statements." I just find it irritating and what would be a better place to vent than here? :sarcastic:

I think you may need to reread the manuals, +p+ is rarely recommended

You think reloaded ammo voids the warranty is bad in the manual - how about this from the Taurus TCP manual:

1. SAFETY FIRST:
Risk of an accident is greatly increased when any semiautomatic
pistol, no matter how safely designed, is carried with a cartridge in
the chamber. THIS PRACTICE IS NOT RECOMMENDED AND MAY BE
JUSTIFIED ONLY IN CIRCUMSTANCE OF CLEAR AND PRESENT
DANGER WHEN THE PISTOL MAY IMMEDIATELY HAVE TO BE USED IN
SELF-DEFENSE. By far the safest procedure when carrying a loaded pistol is
to leave the chamber empty.

Absoulte 100% B.S.

And then these two statements from the same Taurus manual:

WARNING
Securing your firearm may inhibit access to it in a defense situation and
result in injury or death.
WARNING
Failure to properly secure a firearm may result in injury or death.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't! 90% of firearms manuals - and just about any piece of equipment/tool - is nothing but lawyer CYA crap.

I think you may need to reread the manuals, +p+ is rarely recommended

That's my point! The manual is mute on the subject. It just says factory ammo of the right caliber. So +p+ would be "factory ammo of the right caliber," and therefore would NOT void the warranty, even though it was not a good idea to use it. On the other hand, even standard pressure reloads DO void the warranty.

I use reloads in most of my guns. There have been times in the last 18 months that it was reloads or don't shoot.
I've never had any problems with reloads, so I will continue to use them.

Well I did get on the range with the P290 and I was getting light primer strikes ever magazine, sometimes two or three with Jack Ross "factory remanufactured" reloads. Sometimes they would fire on the restrike, sometimes not. So I switched to Lillier & Bellot new factory ammo and only had one light strike in about 25 rounds. With my defense round at the moment, Hornady 147 gr XTP, I had no malfunctions, although I did not shoot a lot of them.

I'm going to have to have more range time with this gun before I carry it. If I keep getting light strikes, it's going to Sig for repairs.

Are you by any chance using CCI primers in your reloads. I have found their primer cups to be a bit hard. I've had much better luck with Federal primers.

I can't remember if my DPMS said anything about reloads, but I know it says the use of steel case ammo would void the warranty.

I always do what the manufacturer recommends. I never use reloaded or remanufactured ammo. However, a friend of mine recently bought a Sig P227 (.45, 10+1). He told me he needed to be sure it would function all the time, as it was to be his concealed carry pistol. My friend went on to say that he cleaned and lubed the brand new Sig P227 and then took it to the range with an assortment of new and factory (Freedom Munitions) ammo plus a no-name new ammo, both FMJ and JHP. Besides Freedom Munitions, he had some Winchester white box, Independence, and some leftover mystery ammo. That first range trip, my friend shot about 130 rounds of this hodgepodge of 230gr ammo. It all fed, fired, and ejected with no problem. Of course, my friend tells me he would only carry the gun with premium factory ammo, like Federal Hydra-Shok. Nonetheless, he shot a bunch of reman ammo. My friend did that, not me.

All the manufacturers warn owners to not use handloaded ammo. But I wouldn't worry about it. I normally never shoot factory ammo in any of my guns. I take a lot of pride in crafting ammo that is superior to factory and maintain very strict quality control.
I once had a pistol (a 1911) that was "eating" brass. That is to say, it was capturing casings within the ejection port between the slide and breech upon ejection and mangling the case mouths pretty good (a not totally unheard of ailment for 1911s). Well, I sent the pistol in for repair along with several of the damaged sample casings so they could see for themselves exactly what I was talking about. Anyone who cared to look at the casings carefully would have seen the multiple ejector marks as well as the silver (reloaded) primer cups. No one cared. They fixed my pistol without comment and that included installing a new barrel as well as a bit of work on the breech side wall. No problem. (Oh btw, the pistol functions properly now).

Prior issues with CCI and a 1911 of in laws, however none with mine Kimbers, Glocks or Smiths. Every handgun I have bought, if I remember correctly, had the reload warnings. The AR-15 even, about 16 years ago, had a warning no steel cases, of which I would not use in an AR only in my Ruger Minis. I even shoot Berry's in the Glock, my loads. FYI.

The FAQ on SIG Sauer's web site states ammunition loaded to SAAMI or NATO specifications is safe to shoot in their firearms.Of course, the use of +P ammunition will cause more wear on any gun.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back