What's the most you'd pay for .223?

AndeyHall

Our local Academy Sports had tons of 20 round boxes of TulAmmo .233 for $5.99 and I was buying it up as fast as I could (they only let you buy 1 box per day...bastards!). Now the best they have is American Eagle 20-round boxes for $8.99. That seems to be getting up higher per round than I'd like to be paying, but it's still a decent bit lower than anyone else's prices. So given the current availability of ammo, what's the highest per-round price you'd pay for .223?

$8.99 is the going rate around here for 20rd boxes too. Luckily, I have no .223 shortages so I don't have to mess with the "gouging".

Ideally, I'd prefer to pay no more than .30 per round. But, if I had none and needed some.... well, y'know.

$8.99 is the going rate around here for 20rd boxes too. Luckily, I have no .223 shortages so I don't have to mess with the "gouging".

Ideally, I'd prefer to pay no more than .30 per round. But, if I had none and needed some.... well, y'know.
Yeah I have about 600 rounds right now but at $5.99 a box I was just going to Academy every time they changed shifts at the ammo counter. But that's just because that was half of anywhere else around here and I can't find anything online.

Our local Academy Sports had tons of 20 round boxes of TulAmmo .233 for $5.99 and I was buying it up as fast as I could (they only let you buy 1 box per day...bastards!). Now the best they have is American Eagle 20-round boxes for $8.99. That seems to be getting up higher per round than I'd like to be paying, but it's still a decent bit lower than anyone else's prices. So given the current availability of ammo, what's the highest per-round price you'd pay for .223?
There is a big difference between TulAmmo and AE. The TulAmmo is going to be steel cased while the AE is brass. Some guns don't like the poly coating when hot. I prefer Federal XM193 for mine and have some XM855 also. 5.56 SP 65gr cost me $340/1000 before the madness started and XM855 was going for $1.00/round a month ago.

I have a case of 1000rds of AE, XM193. I have another, almost 1000rds of Tula 55gr FMJ and some tracers floating around too.

.223/5.56 isn't my primary loading, so I don't keep too much on hand.

There is a big difference between TulAmmo and AE. The TulAmmo is going to be steel cased while the AE is brass. Some guns don't like the poly coating when hot. I prefer Federal XM193 for mine and have some XM855 also. 5.56 SP 65gr cost me $340/1000 before the madness started and XM855 was going for $1.00/round a month ago.
I don't reload though so I don't really care if its brass or steel. I've put about 3-400 rounds of the TulAmmo through it so far and haven't had the first issue. I don't plan on getting it any hotter than that.

ARs (& other close tolerance weapons) will see failures with prolonged use of steel case ammo without recurrent cleanings. The reason is, as stated, the tolerances. The close tolerances of the AR serve to create exceptional accuracy potential but lend themselves to less room around the steel case for the dirty gases, eventually leading to a malfunction. With recurrent cleaning, this should be a non-issue. Steel cases do not expand to the degree of brass while combustion takes place. Brass, on the other hand, expands to seal the chamber... preventing excessive amounts of gas from entering. So, it lends itself better to prolonged use in such a weapon as the AR, between cleanings. Accuracy is also another factor between brass and steel. If you're going for what's referred to as "combat accuracy", you will likely get the results desired from both types of ammo. If, however, you're going for maximum accuracy... brass should be your choice. The reasons are the same, chamber sealing under combustion thus reducing the amount of play in the cartridge/bullet during firing. Under normal circumstances, most will see no real difference in accuracy... maybe an inch at 100yrds.

Cheaper, steel case loadings are great for lower cost training and they aren't too shabby at dropping your intended target. At extended distances, one should look to quality, brass loadings. Another thing to think about with most steel case loadings... they usually have a bi-metal jacket and don't lend themselves to impressive expansion or deformation. However, in combat, this is much less of a concern and the penetration advantage of a harder jacket is good for punching through light cover.

I have a case of 1000rds of AE, XM193. I have another, almost 1000rds of Tula 55gr FMJ and some tracers floating around too.

.223/5.56 isn't my primary loading, so I don't keep too much on hand.

I'll trade you some M855's for some M193's. :biggrin: I can't shoot them in three gun competitions because the steal core tears up the plates and then you get in trouble and have to leave. :nono:

ARs (& other close tolerance weapons) will see failures with prolonged use of steel case ammo without recurrent cleanings. The reason is, as stated, the tolerances. The close tolerances of the AR serve to create exceptional accuracy potential but lend themselves to less room around the steel case for the dirty gases, eventually leading to a malfunction. With recurrent cleaning, this should be a non-issue. Steel cases do not expand to the degree of brass while combustion takes place. Brass, on the other hand, expands to seal the chamber... preventing excessive amounts of gas from entering. So, it lends itself better to prolonged use in such a weapon as the AR, between cleanings. Accuracy is also another factor between brass and steel. If you're going for what's referred to as "combat accuracy", you will likely get the results desired from both types of ammo. If, however, you're going for maximum accuracy... brass should be your choice. The reasons are the same, chamber sealing under combustion thus reducing the amount of play in the cartridge/bullet during firing. Under normal circumstances, most will see no real difference in accuracy... maybe an inch at 100yrds.

Cheaper, steel case loadings are great for lower cost training and they aren't too shabby at dropping your intended target. At extended distances, one should look to quality, brass loadings. Another thing to think about with most steel case loadings... they usually have a bi-metal jacket and don't lend themselves to impressive expansion or deformation. However, in combat, this is much less of a concern and the penetration advantage of a harder jacket is good for punching through light cover.

Thanks for the info and insight!

I'd give .31 cents a round for XM193. Same price I paid a year ago after spending a few days searching. I won't need any for a while, however.

Lucky I saw something like this in the water in 08'. I stocked up on all the ammo calibers I thought I might need.5.56mm/.223 was one of the main ones. I Like the PMC ammo. I buy the PMC Bronze 55gr. in the .223 and the PMC X-Tac in the 62gr.Green Tip in 5.56mm. I paid on average $340/1000 for both. I am really glad I was able to stock up and have no problem with the shortage. Academy limiting purchases to one 20 round box a day per customer is crazy. My buddy had told me about that. Hell, that seems pretty stupid. I mean at least sale them 2 boxes so that can at least fill one mag. lol The only steel case ammo I have ever run through any of my AR's was made by MFS, a zinc plated ammo. And it ran as clean as any non-brass I have ever seen. IT was about 25 cents a round so I got 1000 of those in .223 and about 500 in .308. It shoots pretty good. But I have never shot any of that nasty Russian crap. Cleaning a proper maintenance is key with most AR's regardless of ammo, but much more so if shooting the steel cased. I guess I should answer the question now. I won't pay more than 34 cents per round for good PMC brass ammo, which most places have doubled the cost of it they get any, and 25 cents for the MFS in .223. I still have a good amount of the MFS that I use at the range but have cut down the amount I shoot. I used to shoot 150 each time at the range, now I just shoot about 60 rounds and try to run drills instead of just shooting paper. The only time I spend more money than that is if I am needing something heavier to hit hogs with.

When the price jumped up to $8.99 for 20rds for AR Ammo. I just quit shooting my 223/5.56 AR rifles. I can still get 7.69x39 AK Ammo. for $6.99 20rds so I will just shoot my AK. Sadlt the 5.45x39 AK Ammo. is tough to find at any good price.

When the price jumped up to $8.99 for 20rds for AR Ammo. I just quit shooting my 223/5.56 AR rifles. I can still get 7.69x39 AK Ammo. for $6.99 20rds so I will just shoot my AK. Sadly the 5.45x39 AK Ammo. is tough to find at any good price.

I picked up everything I could, when I could. Up until about a month into the initial buying spree, I was still able to get 5.45x39 for $6.99 per 30rds. I picked up a 1,080rd spam can and about another 1,000rds of the 30rd packs before it was all gone. All in all, I've got almost 4,000rds of that particular round. I was shooting up about 300rds a weekend of 7.62x39 before all this hit... no more. I haven't bought any '39 in months, I'm saving what I have... which is plenty, mind you.

I picked up everything I could, when I could. Up until about a month into the initial buying spree, I was still able to get 5.45x39 for $6.99 per 30rds. I picked up a 1,080rd spam can and about another 1,000rds of the 30rd packs before it was all gone. All in all, I've got almost 4,000rds of that particular round. I was shooting up about 300rds a weekend of 7.62x39 before all this hit... no more. I haven't bought any '39 in months, I'm saving what I have... which is plenty, mind you.

When I head out to my local outdoor range and when it's 98 in shade it's not often in summer. But when I do it's about 100 to 150 rds as to conserve what Ammo. I still have. I even bought some 12ga Slugs just so I could do some other shooting. I have given up trying to find range .380 9mm .40 and .45acp. it's just not to be found around here.

I also invested in a little stock of M855 and MK232 Mod 1, for appropriate circumstances. Covered all the bases I needed. Also got proficient with the irons, red dot, and Nikon BDC600 scope for my long gun. This is a do-it-all long gun, and the only one I own, besides some sidearms. The long gun stays setup for CQC, home defense duty. A brilliant platform that does nearly everything, in spite of naysayers admonishments. Have .38 special SD rounds for my wife's Taurus, as well as .45 Ranger-Ts for my carry sidearm. Don't think we are lacking for anything, unless the unthinkable comes to pass.

When I head out to my local outdoor range and when it's 98 in shade it's not often in summer. But when I do it's about 100 to 150 rds as to conserve what Ammo. I still have. I even bought some 12ga Slugs just so I could do some other shooting. I have given up trying to find range .380 9mm .40 and .45acp. it's just not to be found around here.

Yeah, the heat blows.... I haven't bought much .380, 9mm or .45 either. Mostly, b/c I have a source of such loads at cost... along with .38Spl, .32 and 12ga field loads. I have no shortages of anything, except .455 Webley and .303 Brit.

I also invested in a little stock of M855 and MK232 Mod 1, for appropriate circumstances. Covered all the bases I needed. Also got proficient with the irons, red dot, and Nikon BDC600 scope for my long gun. This is a do-it-all long gun, and the only one I own, besides some sidearms. The long gun stays setup for CQC, home defense duty. A brilliant platform that does nearly everything, in spite of naysayers admonishments. Have .38 special SD rounds for my wife's Taurus, as well as .45 Ranger-Ts for my carry sidearm. Don't think we are lacking for anything, unless the unthinkable comes to pass.

My home defense goto is my trusty AMD-65 with an EOTech 553 on top. It's a very good shooting weapon.

I havent been able to find .223 since September of last year. If I did find some, I wouldnt pay more than 40 cents a round.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back