Whats the law for just owning?

BobDa

Forgive my ignorance, but I have zero experience with owning firearms. I am a resident of MA but currently live in NC. I am active duty Marine Corps, with no criminal record. I'm 22 years old, and live off of base with my wife. I feel that I should have some kind of firearm in my house. Most of the laws I can find are just OC and CCW, I just simply want to own a long gun. Can I just go out and buy one? Or do I need to jump through some hoops because I'm a MA resident living in NC? I'm going to ask this week about the military side of it, but what are the rules for the real world?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

In NC all you have to do is be 18 to purchase a rifle or shotgun. The store should still do a background check and everything but you aren't required to have a permit to purchase. I'm not sure about MA but hope this helps.

The Capt. is right about owning a long gun in NC.I don't know if you'll be able to take it back to MA, though.

BobDa, here's the page from the NRA regarding MA laws on gun possession. It appears you are required to obtain a Class A carry license to possess purchase or carry a handgun, rifle or shotgun. Hope this helps.

Link Removed

Last edited:
Check the replies to your other post (posted twice). Active military needs two forms of ID and your orders and you will be good to go.

Yes, because you're active duty military, you can buy firearms in the jurisdiction where you are stationed providing there is no State law prohibiting it. You'll need to bring your military ID, orders and a State issued DL to the FFL.

All you need (for the civilian side) is a valid photo ID. My dad visited from Las Vegas and bought two rifles . All he needed was his NV drivers license and fill out the ATF form.

Spent most of the summer in NC working,tried to buy a rifle up there. Bass Pro,Dicks,Gander Mtn,refused to sell because I didnt live in a bordering state. They all stated it was store policy. Last summer in AZ co workers bought long guns with no problem from the same chains. Is this a new policy of these stores or is it state law? Sounds like BS to me.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back