What's the best .380

Bob Thomas

Hey,
I'm looking at getting a .380 for CCW. Can I get some thoughts or suggestions on some good ones? I'd like specifics on why you like them best.

Thanks,
BT

I carry the S&W bodyguard. Trigger pull was long and stiff at first but eased up after shooting a couple boxes. Looks like a wallet in back pocket in a dasanti holster. And has never failed with any junk ammo or hornady critical defense rounds. Very reliable little pistol.

A Ruger LCP is a good one, i like it because it is very small and easy to conceal, smaller than your hand. The sights could be a lot better though and It is not an everyday shooter, it is quite skinny and will start hurting your hand 30+ shots. If you like Glock a 42 is a good .380. Kel Tek also makes a very good concealable 380, a little bigger than an LCP. Smith and Wesson bodyguard is another good one. Those would be my choices in a 380 if I were to buy another one, I would suggest checking those ones out and go with what would suit you, they are all good guns. Ruger also makes an LC9 which is a little bigger than the 380 and is 9mm.

Beretta makes the "pico" in .380. Don't have one, but it is a good looking gun. I believe it has different colored frames and can even get it with a laser.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

When I first looked into concealed carry guns I looked at the Ruger LC9, my friend had one and let me shoot it. I unfortunately limp wristed it a couple times when I tried to rapid fire. So, I decided to not go with it on that and also that I had been thinking of carrying in my pocket because the gun is so small... but I hate having stuff in my pockets so much that I decided not to go with a pocket gun. I ended up with a Glock 27 .40 and absolutely love it. I carry IWB and it is very comfortable. I mention this because I really fell in love with Glock and when they came out with the Glock 42 in the .380 I thought "that would be an awesome gun" I have already set it aside as the next gun I will buy. Anyways, some advice I would throw out to you is to narrow down your choices to a few and go out and shoot them. Then you can really see if you will like it, after you shoot it.

I am still waiting for Beretta to release the Pico so I can replace my larger heavier Bersa Thunder 380CC.

The Bersa is just barley front pocket carriable, but gives you 8+1 rounds. The DA/SA trigger is nice. Count on going through 300 rounds before it is broken in and factor that into the purchase price.

I carry the S&W bodyguard. Trigger pull was long and stiff at first but eased up after shooting a couple boxes. Looks like a wallet in back pocket in a dasanti holster. And has never failed with any junk ammo or hornady critical defense rounds. Very reliable little pistol.
To me the Bodyguard 380 had better ergonomics than any other pocket 380 in its class/size.

I looked at several, but picked the Taurus 738 TCP. I didn't choose it because its was the least expensive, but that was a nice thing too!

I love my Kahr P380. It is one the pricey side, but it is very high quality and needs a breaking-in period before it runs at it's best. The trigger is long but smooth and very sweet. Kahr also makes the CW380 which is more reasonably priced, but less fuss spit and polish goes into the handgun. The CW380 is still every bit a Kahr handgun. Please check out their website: Kahr Arms - A leader in technology and innovation

Taurus 738 TCP with the +1 magazine extension from Galloway Precision (makes it 7+1), the Crimson Trace Laserguard, and Nitesiters Handgun Night Sights (photo-luminescent adhesive dots).

In contrast to most pocket 380s, this one locks back after the last round is fired. The trigger pull is long and has a a reasonable weight. The gun is hammer fired and the hammer is internal. The operation is like a striker-fired gun, i.e., you have to pre-cock the hammer by racking the slide and the trigger pull is consistent. There is no manual safety. It is lightweight enough for me to carry it while jogging (IWB, 4 o'clock, 5-10 km distances).

I have a Sig Sauer .380 and a Glock 42. I like em both. A friend has a Taurus TCP, I like it. Another friend has the Kahr... way too small for my hands.

The one that shoots the best for me is the Sig. The one I like the best all around (the way it shoots, the way it feels, the ease to conceal, etc.) is the Glock.

I have a Bersa Thunder 380, and I really like it. I had an inside the belt holster made just for it and it really works well and feels comfortable. I am looking for a lightweight smaller CC weapon for my wife but can't find one that fits her. she has pretty small hands, and cannot work the slide well. Any ideas?

Taurus TCP because it just plain works! YMMV....

I have fed it about 95% FMJs (various brands) and thus far, have put around 1,000 rounds through it and it keeps ticking like clock work.

I find it amazing nobody mentioned the glock 42
Read

A Ruger LCP is a good one, i like it because it is very small and easy to conceal, smaller than your hand. The sights could be a lot better though and It is not an everyday shooter, it is quite skinny and will start hurting your hand 30+ shots. If you like Glock a 42 is a good .380. Kel Tek also makes a very good concealable 380, a little bigger than an LCP. Smith and Wesson bodyguard is another good one. Those would be my choices in a 380 if I were to buy another one, I would suggest checking those ones out and go with what would suit you, they are all good guns. Ruger also makes an LC9 which is a little bigger than the 380 and is 9mm.

When I first looked into concealed carry guns I looked at the Ruger LC9, my friend had one and let me shoot it. I unfortunately limp wristed it a couple times when I tried to rapid fire. So, I decided to not go with it on that and also that I had been thinking of carrying in my pocket because the gun is so small... but I hate having stuff in my pockets so much that I decided not to go with a pocket gun. I ended up with a Glock 27 .40 and absolutely love it. I carry IWB and it is very comfortable. I mention this because I really fell in love with Glock and when they came out with the Glock 42 in the .380 I thought "that would be an awesome gun" I have already set it aside as the next gun I will buy. Anyways, some advice I would throw out to you is to narrow down your choices to a few and go out and shoot them. Then you can really see if you will like it, after you shoot it.

I have a Sig Sauer .380 and a Glock 42. I like em both. A friend has a Taurus TCP, I like it. Another friend has the Kahr... way too small for my hands.

The one that shoots the best for me is the Sig. The one I like the best all around (the way it shoots, the way it feels, the ease to conceal, etc.) is the Glock.

The ruger LCP has done a good job as a pocket .380. I prefer to have a larger gun but at times the ruger LCP has been the best choice I had.

I the cost is not a factor then I would go with the Sig, however for the cost of the Sig you could buy the others twice, second choice would be the new Glock, don't own one, YET, but shoots great, the 380s I have owned over the years were a Bersa, LCP, S&W, and Taurus TCPs, my wife and I did not care for the LCP or Bodyguard, triggers sucked, and seemed to have a bunch of felt recoil, the Bersa was a little bigger gun than the others, but a fun gun to shoot, would be my best range choice, we kept our TCPs and carry them as bugs, the Taurus seemed to have a lot less felt recoil than the LCP or Bodyguard,

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back