What's a good starter handgun?

the.germanator2

Not looking to buy right away as I'm not in the budget right now, but I am definitely looking to buy one. Just curious what people on here think is a good starter pistol. Not looking for anything fancy.

There are many factors to consider. Here are just a few....

What purpose will the gun be used for? Home defense? Concealed carry? Open carry? Hunting? Target shooting?

Who will be using the gun? Just you? Maybe used to teach kids shooting?

How well do you handle recoil? Are you accurate with large calibers? If for carry are you accurate rapid fire?

The best advice I've ever been given is to find a gun shop that rents guns and try a few. Choose what fits YOU! and never mind all those who recommend a specific gun in a specific caliber. What works for them is great but that may not work for you.

It will cost a few bucks to rent them but that is still cheaper than buying a gun you don't like and won't use.

It'd primarily be target shooting and open carry, depending on where I go at least. I'd only do it areas I'm not familiar with, but overall, it'd primarily be for target shooting as my dad and one of my brothers have a few guns themselves and I'll usually shoot theirs during target shooting so it'd be nice to have one of my own.

Not looking to buy right away as I'm not in the budget right now, but I am definitely looking to buy one. Just curious what people on here think is a good starter pistol. Not looking for anything fancy.

If by "good starter pistol" you mean something to start out with and learn, then any quality, reliable .22LR handgun that feels comfortable in your hand.

If, however, you are referring to your first carry handgun, don't listen to anybody that tells you that you should get any particular handgun. Listen to what people recommend and what their experience is regarding reliability, accuracy, ease of use and manufacturer Customer Service, but when somebody tells you that you should get some specific brand/model (such as "get the Glock 19" - the Glock 19 is a good handgun, but it may not be the right one for you), they are more interested in foisting their likes and dislikes on you than they are in helping you get what is right for you.

After you have considered everybody's "advice", pick out the ones that fit your requirements/desires and find a range that will rent them to you. After you have had a chance to actually shoot them you will know what fits your hand and what you shoot the best. You should always be looking for what is best for you, not what is best for somebody else.

If by "good starter pistol" you mean something to start out with and learn, then any quality, reliable .22LR handgun that feels comfortable in your hand.

If, however, you are referring to your first carry handgun, don't listen to anybody that tells you that you should get any particular handgun. Listen to what people recommend and what their experience is regarding reliability, accuracy, ease of use and manufacturer Customer Service, but when somebody tells you that you should get some specific brand/model (such as "get the Glock 19" - the Glock 19 is a good handgun, but it may not be the right one for you), they are more interested in foisting their likes and dislikes on you than they are in helping you get what is right for you.

After you have considered everybody's "advice", pick out the ones that fit your requirements/desires and find a range that will rent them to you. After you have had a chance to actually shoot them you will know what fits your hand and what you shoot the best. You should always be looking for what is best for you, not what is best for somebody else.

This ^^^

Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

I agree with some here. Try all you can. And that includes try them on. I would call everyone I knew that shot and carried. Tell them you will supply the ammo and shoot everything you can. On top of that. Try on their CCW set up. That will be the tell tell factor. Because you will find one you love to shoot, but hate to carry. And you will find one you like to carry but hate to shoot. Find one you can do both with. And that’s the first one I would buy. I have purchased guns I like to shoot and hated to carry. (Slight waste of money). And I have purchased ones that were easy to carry but didn’t like to shoot ( slight waste of money). After 5 years. I’ve settle on the Glock 26, 43, and 42 all appendix carry. I like shooting walthers much much better, but they are a little larger and a touch harder to conceal for how I dress. And you can buy anything for a Glock. It’s a compromise. Just don’t waste time and money like I did. Shoot and wear your friends set ups. That will help a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

I would go to your local indoor target range and rent several guns to see which one feels best for you. Gun type boils down to personal preference and comfortability. It you depend on others opinion it may not work for you, sort of like asking what should my first car be?it will start with what caliber are you comfortable with when shooting it? after that, are you going to carry conceal or will this stay next to your light stand in your room for home defense. there are many excellent choices in the different calibers take your time and see which caliber is most comfortable for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back