What would you do?

rrc1962

The other day there was an incident at Nashville school bus stop. A 14YO kid approached a 16YO kid and they got into a verbal argument. The 14YO kid pulled out a gun and opened fire. No one was hit.

What would you do if you were at a public bus stop and a kid opened fire on the crowd. Would you take him down? TN allows you to use deadly force in the presence of an immediate threat to your life or the life of a third party, but would you drop the hammer on a 14YO kid?

Personally, I think being shot by a 14YO is still being shot. It's fortunate in this case that the kid couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, but someone in the crowd should not count on that.

When the shooting starts, if you stop to check the shooter's ID, you're in trouble. Would an LEO take the kid down? Probably. So would I! I'm not waiting around to see if he's old enough to pull the trigger...if he's opened fire on people, he should be taken out, period.

I guess you could say the same for a woman. If it was me, and my life or my families were threatened, I would stop the treat by all means necessary. I would absolutely feel bad later; however I will do what I have to for my life and my families to be saved.

Yep I think gpb is correct. In that moment if you pause long enough to contemplate if you should fire cause he looks so young you're probably already screwed. My life, my fiends, or my family’s lives are not less important just because they are older then 14. In this scenario I'd hope I'd be able to stop the threat and worry about the mental ramifications later. But until you're knee deep it's hard to tell how you'd really react.

I agree. If someone is trying to kill me I will be doing what every it takes to make sure he, she does not succeed.

It's not the age of the shooter but the intent of the shooter. Any person regardless of their age that intends to do harm to someone with a weapon has to be stopped one way or another. How many times have you see 8 yo children in third world countries carrying and shooting AK's. They are just as deadly as an 21 yo shooter. If it's a young child and depending on the situation my old AF training may kick in...shoot to wound not to kill while in CONUS.

a bullet is a bullet. if the person is big enough to know better and still act so stupid then they deserve to be stopped. and if it takes deadly force to stop them.. then so be it. I don't plan on leaving my family any time soon. and would not want them leaving me either.

It's not the age of the shooter but the intent of the shooter. Any person regardless of their age that intends to do harm to someone with a weapon has to be stopped one way or another. How many times have you see 8 yo children in third world countries carrying and shooting AK's. They are just as deadly as an 21 yo shooter. If it's a young child and depending on the situation my old AF training may kick in...shoot to wound not to kill while in CONUS.

With the way that the world is today and the abundance of "ambulance chasing lawyers", I strongly advise against "shooting to wound". First of all, under stress, a "placed shot" is extremely difficult. Second, it's highly likely that will be argued that if you had time to determine and manage to "shoot to wound", you have adequate time to get away and you didn't feel you were in "real" danger. If you do manage to get off on the criminal trial, then you're still likely gonna face a civil trial where you'll have to deal with some 14 year old in a wheel chair telling his sob story of how he'll never be able to play football with his friends, how he used to be a star basketball player, but now he's gotta play in the wheel chair league, etc. As a firearms instructor, I would strongly advise that if you ever need to shoot a BG in SD, make every effort to "stop the threat" in the quickest and fastest manner possible. If a double tap at "center mass" does the trick, then so be it.

Here's what I would do in the situation.

1. Take cover. Anyone milling around or running away stands a higher risk of gettng shot.
2. Draw my firearm and order the gunman to "drop the gun" (this applies to all BG regardless of age/gender).
3. If the BG fires at me or agresses in any manner, fire my firearm as many times as it takes to "stop" the BG from harming me or others in the vicinity.
4. Call 911 to reort the incident and get medical attention for myself and anyone else who needs it.
5. Clear and secure my firearm.
6. Make no statements about the incident to police. I'll cooperate to the best of my ability but request an attorney before any questioning.

Notice in #3 I say "fire as many times as it takes to "stop" the BG...." This is important to remember, because many folks are killed because they fired twice, then stopped not realizing that the BG was still able to fight and managed to fight back.

As always, I state "I am not an attorney. This is not legal advice. Consult a competent attorney if you would like legal advice."

Be safe out there, it's a crazy world and unfortunately it ain't getting any better.

gf

My momma taught me a two part rule that I think could be paraphrased and applied. She told us, " Never hit a lady. If a female hits you, she's not a lady."

Same concept applies here. A shooter is a shooter regardless of age.

If someone (ANYone) pulls a gun - I assume two things very quickly.

1. It's loaded.
2. They know how to use it.

I would be moving and responding accordingly. Plenty of bystanders are killed by idiot gangbangers that can't shoot worth a $#!^ either, but the rounds they loose down range don't care about the skill at the trigger. (Or complete lack thereof.)

Whether they can shoot or not, or whether it is loaded or not - and regardless of age and gender, matters not. Unless you're a member of the new administration. Then, you'd negotiate with them until they fell asleep in your lap. Or until they kill you.

I have to agree with GP when the bullets are a flying if you take the time to check for age or sex of the shooter you will die...

"What would you do if you were at a public bus stop and a kid opened fire on the crowd. Would you take him down?"

How could you NOT stop an attempt at mass murder?!:frown:

As far as I know it is. A bullet is an equal opportunity destroyer.

The incident that propelled me to shed my wool and put on a dog collar was getting robbed in my driveway. When the police (finally) showed up to take my statement I couldn't tell them much at all about what the guy looked like but I was able to describe the revolver he was holding pretty well. What I am getting at is when the shiznit is going down I don't know if I would even notice the age/sex of the BG, but I would be concentrating on the threat.

The incident that propelled me to shed my wool and put on a dog collar was getting robbed in my driveway. When the police (finally) showed up to take my statement I couldn't tell them much at all about what the guy looked like but I was able to describe the revolver he was holding pretty well. What I am getting at is when the shiznit is going down I don't know if I would even notice the age/sex of the BG, but I would be concentrating on the threat.
Wow...was he waiting on you or was it just a crime of opportunity?

Wow...was he waiting on you or was it just a crime of opportunity?

It was more than likely a crime of opportunity I think because at that time I was going to school and bar tending so I never got home at any predictable time.
There were two things I was thinking of at the time: 1) My pistol was in my night stand which was really helpful to me at the time, and 2) How much it was going to hurt if he decided to shoot.

My SA was zero. I have learned a lot since then.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back