What would you do?

Samurai

OK guys, a senerio...
There's an older gentleman whom I work with, that two weeks ago, I took him and his wife and taught them some safety topics and how to shoot. Both have purchased weapons and have been shooting several times now, since their initial visit to the range. Both are paranoid of crime in the Houston area and are scheduled to take a CHL class in a couple of weeks.
The older gentleman told me of an incident that happened last week, just a few blocks from where he lives. A man at a mall pulled out of a parking space and was met head-on by another vehicle. When the second vehicle refused to move, the man began to back up and found he was blocked by another vehicle from behind. He got out of his vehicle and was pistol whipped and robbed. After telling me in more detail of what happened, and knowing that I am a 'carrier', he asked, "What would you do?"
I grinned and said, "They would not have pistol whipped me..."
So OK, what would you do???

thats a bad scenario

well i hope i would be paying enough attention to realize what was happening. hopefully be able to react in a timely fashion and be true with my aim and put some lead downrange in a hurry:D

you constanly have to be on guard of your surroundings and then handle accordingly. if i saw the weapons i would be cleaning my 1911 right now.

Well, I would NOT exit the vehicle. Windows up, doors locked I'd be ready to defend myself if anyone tried to get in.

Now, that's easy to say after I have had time to think about it... the truth is, I'm too damn confrontational to have actually followed my own advise. :p

Fighting from inside a car is tough very restrictive. Also poor cover drive hard and get some room is always a good thing. Car is better weapon than cover.

Upon realizing the situation I would have exited the vehicle, pistol in hand and ready to defend myself. If I was unarmed as this fellow was, it would have been time to play bumper cars with anything in my way.

Back home I drive Ford F 250 4X4 and I have a rather large trailer hitch on the rear bumper. If I felt threatened I would have run the son of b*tch over. At the very least if would have totally disabled his rig and might have killed him. Because it is a big rig I tend to have to park out in the most remote part of a parking lot but this gives me plenty of time to see anyone approaching me. I am also somewhat paranoid when going out to my rig. I always steer a path that give me the most line of site possible. If I see another parked nearby while there are other parking spaces closer to the store I become suspicious.

Yep, distance, big bumper hitches and multi shot large bore/big caliber are all good things in such circumstances...

Avoid the issue in the first place. Situational awareness....

I always, always park out in the middle of a parking lot. While I"m parking, I can see all around me. When I exit my vehicle, I can see all around me, as well as who is between me and the store/s. When I return to my vehicle, I can see underneath and around it from a distance. Not to mention that pedestrian traffic, out in the middle of a parking lot, draws the attention of security camera viewers more than crowds of people. Walking the extra 50 yards or so, is well worth it to me.

Seems to be two stories here. First if you older co-worker and his wife want a ccw they need to think if they are willing to kill someone. You carry for protection and the out come of using a gun usually end up with someone dying.
Second as soon as I realized what was happening I'd jump back in my car and lock the doors, if I had a cell phone call 911, If I was carrying my gun would be out and ready to work.
Third not everyone is able to park way out in a parking lot. Handicappers need to park as near as possible to the store. also many people are not willing to use their vehicle as a battering ram.

I don't want to use my truck as a weapon and I don't want to hurt or kill,but I will do what it takes to protect myself and family...

I think I would have done a quick draw sitting in the seat once I figured I was boxed in. I've thought out the carjacking scenario, and in my mind, I think that I'd wait to be approached. At first sight of a gun, it's hammer back time.....pool ze treegor oonteel eet goes "CLEECK"

Start making noise, honking the horn, etc. If I had my cell phone, I'd be prepared to dial 911 (more than likely just to have the open line). If making noise failed, and no attention was drawn to the situation, I would get out of the car (prepared to punch 911 into my cell phone) ready to draw my weapon as needed.

+1 on "Situational Awareness". I carry a gun into a shopping center or mall because I have to come back to the parking lot. I have little or no worries while in a store, well, other than convenience stores (They seemed to be named for the convenience of robbing them and hauling butt.). I've reminded friends and family to "choose" a parking spot with care and BACK IN whenever possible. And when you leave or approach your vehicle, look around. Really look.

in a spot like that and not carrying 911 is your best friend. i park far away from the front sometimes under a light.. in new york there has been alot old people getting hurt for for a few bucks

Last edited:
By far the best thing is to do everything you can to avoid such a situation. You can't avoid every possible bad scenario (that's why you carry a gun after all right?) but you can avoid a lot simply by staying aware of things going on around you. Mental and situational awareness are essential to avoiding surprises similar to this. Front Sight's "Color Code of Mental Awareness" is a good explanation of how the difference between getting mugged and not getting mugged is often nothing more than the difference between staying oblivious to your surroundings and staying alert and aware.

The color code system is divided into five levels - White, Yellow, Orange, Red and Black. Dr. Ignatius Piazza of Front Sight has some great posts of these states with examples of how they make a difference at the following links:

Conditions White and Yellow:
http://www.frontsight.com/newsletter/html/08-color-code.html

Conditions Orange and Red:
http://www.frontsight.com/newsletter/html/09-color-code-con.html

Condition Black and the Combat Mindset:
http://www.frontsight.com/newsletter/html/10-combat-mindset.html

Once you are in condition black, your survival just might depend on training/practice and muscle memory. Is your attacker extremely close to you and about to pistol whip you? If so, do you know and have you practiced the "speed rock?" Will you instinctively block/duck that blow, or go down to the ground semi conscious?

Avoid a bad situation if you can, but be well prepared for one in case you can't.

A pistol whipping is something, I don't want or plan on getting, so what ever the situtation calls for is what I would do.. I try to always be aware of my surroundings, and whats going on...

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back