What would have happened if I pulled my gun

boxers.forever

NRA Member
About a month ago my son and I were out riding our Harleys. It was around 9 pm so it was good and dark. We were on Hwy. 74 just about the Cleveland county line. My sons bike broke down so we pulled over the side of the road. The speed limit there is 70 mph. We got off our bikes to make some calls to get someone to come pick him up. Long story short I walked back up to my bike, when I looked up a car was coming off the road. All I could see was head light. I almost pulled my gun. It looked like they were trying to hit me. I jumped back out of the way and it turned out to be a State Trooper. No blue lights on just head lights. Is that one of those gray areas or what.

What were you going to do? Shoot at the car?

My opinion, for being next to a 70 MPH highway, your situational awareness was way to low. Pay attention next time.

As for justification on drawing a firearm, no you would be completely in the wrong...add that to the trooper most likely killing you a short time later.

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

About a month ago my son and I were out riding our Harleys. It was around 9 pm so it was good and dark. We were on Hwy. 74 just about the Cleveland county line. My sons bike broke down so we pulled over the side of the road. The speed limit there is 70 mph. We got off our bikes to make some calls to get someone to come pick him up. Long story short I walked back up to my bike, when I looked up a car was coming off the road. All I could see was head light. I almost pulled my gun. It looked like they were trying to hit me. I jumped back out of the way and it turned out to be a State Trooper. No blue lights on just head lights. Is that one of those gray areas or what.

what danger were you in?

No! Boxer is in front of the jury, asked why he/she shot at an on coming vehicle, missed vehicle shot a hiker, killed hiker, vehicle was a police officer trying to assist stranded biker, who saw the entire thing and it is on his/her dash cam. Sentenced to 25 to life. Later posted on Facebook (Moms Demand Action Every town for Gun safty, Brady and others), crazed gun nut biker shoots at cop, killing hiker on the way to Michael Brown's funeral, more gun violence, stop the madness, no one needs a gun on the road.

I thought he was going to hit me. Did you not read the part where he came off the road right at me.

In 30 plus years of CC, I have never almost pulled a gun. My guess, (I was not there), you miss read aggressive offensive driving as an attack? Politely inform the officer his aggressive driving left you startled. Some officers do drive like someone else is paying the repair bills. I was on a ride along once, when a female officer, missed a turn, and while going 30, put it into reverse, not using the brakes. The patrol car started bouncing, but we went backwards. Not something I would ever do.

It would be interesting to know what clothing the OP was wearing at the time. I've also got to wonder....standing on the side of the road in the dark with a car coming at you...what good is the gun going to do? Methinks someone has been watching too many movies of the guy standing in the middle of the road emptying his magazine into the oncoming car, striking the driver in the head at the last minute, blood splattering on the windshield and the car veering off to the side at the last minute barely missing the gunman still standing in the middle of the road with smoke rising from the barrel of the gun. My first instinct would not be to go for the gun but to dive out of the way of the vehicle.

Thinking you over reacted. Not enough info for me though. 70 MPH road, the officer saw two motorcycles, possibly stranded on the side of the road. Try to pull you car off the road and stop quickly from 70+ MPH, let me know if it looks 'aggressive'. Also were you right on the paved edge of the road, or off as far as you could get?
You say you walked back to your bike, so the two bikes were not together? Flashers on? Would also bet on that dark night you had a black Harley, black chaps, black Jacket, etc. Hard to see you that well. Just my thoughts, but will say, pulling your gun in that moment would have been a bad idea.

Two guys were out riding and one of the Harleys broke down? In the dark? And the bike/rider had to be picked up?

Don't all Harley riders have the phone number of several friends with a pickup truck on speed dial?
Couldn't resist an attempt at a little bit of motorcycle snobbery humor....

I generally don't like to second guess situations because I wasn't there and there are always more nuances involved than what comes across with the typed/spoken word. However, when dealing with a speeding car/aggressive vehicle, it seems to me it would be prudent to get out of the way of the vehicle first (a human can change directions faster than a vehicle can) then figure out what is really going on/what response is necessary.

If you had pulled your gun you would probably not be asking questions on this forum now or ever. You would have been bought and paid for. Why would you even think about drawing your gun unless you are just looking for an excuse? You my friend need to get a lot more education concerning guns before you get yourself killed or shoot a harmless person. Could have been a friend of yours pulling over to help you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm certainly no expert, but during my CCW training and discussions with the instructors afterwards, I was told the only time my firearm should "leave the leather" is if I'm in imminent danger, i.e. a firearm already pulled on me or someone breaking into my home. (Castle Doctrine) Even though I would certainly be extremely concerned in the situation the original poster noted, I don't think I'd actually pull my weapon in response. If he were afraid the oncoming car was going to actually strike him, I highly doubt a bullet would stop the vehicle from doing so. On top of that, it would be indefensible in court if a good Samaritan were just pulling off the road to help (as was the case of the Trooper) and you shot him through the windshield. My training says keep my firearm holstered until I'm facing provable immanent danger.

What would have happened? You may have taken your last final breaths, worst case scenario. You may have spent some time in jail, best case scenario.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back