What woud have done in this situation?

One Gun against 50 kids?? Hummm..
Here is my 1st thought..
I would say, if you pull it, you better empty it.. With that many people, there is a chance (a small chance) someone could take the gun from you (You cant shoot 15 people all coming at you at once). If you empty the clip, at least they can't use it against you and your family..
Sure if you get off the 1st shot, everyone backs away, you're good.. But if they don't back off.. You better be ready to empty it and hope none of the 50 are armed..

What are the chances out of 50 thugs, there is at least one gun????

My self I carry three mags loaded with 12 rounds each and one in the tube so if they are still coming after 37 rounds they can have my gun . even if one has a gun , I would bet they haven't had the field training I have .

315mptf.jpg

I would have to say this sounds like gang activity to me. My few experiences with cleaning up after gang initiations have left a very distinct pattern embedded in my mind. I work in a small town 13 sq miles population 12,000 people 1% other than caucasion. until recently gang activity was nonexistant. a few years back just after midnight a young man was walking home from work when he was approched by 2 black men in a small car. they stopped and asked if he had any drugs. he replied no. next thing he knew was one had him with a gun to his head while the other stabbed him nine times. Obviously an attempt to kill him quietly, for obviously a initiation. while he was laying there with us medics working on him he describes this event to the police. their responce was yeah likely story you know who did this just tell us. later the police found out that the car used in the attack was stolen just minutes before and its owner was beaten and thrown in a dumpster for dead.
I personally after what i have seen them do to unsuspecting victims for no reason will draw and shoot first should somthing of this nature happen to me or my family. they may get the upper hand in their numbers but at least i will go out fighting knowing i tried to save my family and myself.

From the article I got really incensed when the quote from the police lieutenant was "we do not know if it was a gang or a group of kids"---is he kidding? A GROUP OF KIDS? It should have been a DEAD GROUP OF KIDS. If the husband had not yet been physically confronted by the group and was CC, he may have had a chance to do something but if there were 50 of them and they did not run after the first shot, he and his family would really have been in trouble. This does bring up a scenario that I try to think about when the perps are in your face and right next to you; I wonder what, if any, actual reaction I could take for self-protection--ie You are walking on the street in the evening with your wife and 2 or 3 fellows are coming toward you who do not profile in any way that cause me concern but once they are next to us they circle, get in my face, hold onto my wife, and ask the usual questions concerning money. I am CC but they are right next to us. I fail to see an "out" other than submittal and possible loss of my CCW, if searched. Let's assume they have not shown any weapon other than their presence and numbers. Any comments?

they circle, get in my face, hold onto my wife, and ask the usual questions concerning money. I am CC but they are right next to us. I fail to see an "out" other than submittal and possible loss of my CCW, if searched. Let's assume they have not shown any weapon other than their presence and numbers. Any comments?

My first comment is that you have no duty to retreat
- wait till you feel you are in imminent danger and see a weapon or they force their will (not uncomfortable)
- they have accosted your spouse
- your spouse cannot retreat
- retreat could mean surrender of your CCW
- retreat could mean increased danger to your spouse
- "Stand in the Shoes" doctrine (Defense of Others)

And as my friend tells me, better tried by twelve than carried by six.

I've been in two similar situations myself, but without my spouse.
A little background, I'm Vietnamese American and back then 5'8", ~160 lbs.

Once in downtown Atlanta where 2 men stopped me, another one about 2' behind them.
One grabbed my arm and the other blocked my path when I came off out of the metro.
The asked for money, spare change and I told them get off of me and out of my face.
Put my hand in my pocket and they backed off (don't know if they noticed or not).
Had this happen another time with my spouse but no one physically touched us.

Other situation was in a gas station store in North Georgia.
4 men surrounded me, blocked me from the counter as well as an exist.
Asked me what I was doing up here; looked them directly in the face and said hunting and camping.
They looked at my truck where I had a rifle in the gun rack (wife was there too).
They said cool and good luck and got out of my way.

Both situations I was very uncomfortable and intimidated, thought imminent danger, but saw no weapons or was forced against my will.

SLED is not the best source since they don't actively update their pages..
Link Removed

9. you need not retreat “if to do so would apparently increase danger.” State v. McGee, 185 S.C. 184, 190, 193 S.E. 303, 306 (1937).

South Carolina has adopted the so-called “alter-ego” rule with respect to the defense of others. In State v. Cook, 78 S.C. 253, 59 S.E. 862 (1907), the Court summarized this rule:

If you intervene on behalf of another, you will not be allowed the benefit of the plea of self-defense, unless that plea would have been available to the person you assisted if he himself had done the killing.

In other words, the person intervening is deemed to “stand in the shoes” of the person on whose behalf he is intervening. If that individual “had the right to defend himself, then the intervening party is also protected by that right. If, however, the party [victim] had no right to use force…then the intervening party will also assume the liability of the person on whose behalf he interfered.” McAninch and Fairey, p. 494.

Last edited:
I registered just to respond to this post.

I don't have a 14 year old, I have a 2 year old. I would have drawn and fired. 50 vs.2 males, a wife and 2 small children? Seriously I fail to see the logic in anything else. There are so many scenarios that all end very badly. They got lucky in this case with all things considered.

Once the 1st guy was attacked the crowd apparently jumped on him and it just went downhill.

As far as a "possible hate" crime I think it is the failure to apply laws like this evenly that widens the racial divide. Had this attack occurred against another ethnicity (Arab, Jewish, etc) it would probably already have been labeled a hate crime.

"He was a good child" only goes so far these days. Children will take your life and those of your loved ones with very little forethought if placed in the right situation.

How in the world do you not see 50 black teens coming your way rather or not they're bunchedd in a group. 5 would make my awareness go up and have e thinking of escape possiblities and means of action.

How in the world do you not see 50 black teens coming your way rather or not they're bunchedd in a group.

Maybe it was dark?:biggrin:

They are lucky they are not dead or forever damaged, and they should not consider, but definitely run to arm themselves and get training.

#1 I would have been armed.
#2 I would try to get to my arms if not already on me.
#3 I would not jump into a gang fight with my kids in plain view. I would get my wife and kids in the house asap and insure no one else came in.
#4 While wifey was armed and calling 911, I'd see what I could do about my friend, preferably while wielding a Saiga 12 and a pistol for backup.

My first thought is why did this group pick out these individuals? Is there more (as there usually is) to this story than is being told? Assuming it was simply an act of violent intimidation, tell my friends to run for cover (presumably into the house), draw, warn and fire. There is no "if" to whether I would be armed or not as I carry with two extra magazines from the time I get dressed until I go to bed. Period. There is no reason to fool around assessing the intent and, at least in this state, no time (with the increase in violent crime that our ex-governor has decided to ignore in her new position). But, I digress. Bottom line: I do not carry to impress, threaten or feel safe. I carry to stop any threats to myself, my family and my friends. This has the characteristics of a threat in my book.

Wtf?

What I would do in this situation, set aside, I have to ask; what the hell were they thinking when they saw a group of 50 (insert classification here) youth walking down the street? Does anyone here think that a group of youth that large 'snuck up on them'?

You see a group that large headed your way, get you ass inside.

Situational awareness is the single most important tool you have to save your own ass. Unfortuately these vicitims either didn't have it or ignored it.

Just because you're in front of your friends house doesn't mean it's time to drop your awareness.

"It came after a family night of celebrating America and freedom with a fireworks show at Firestone Stadium. Marshall, his family and two friends were gathered outside a friend's home in South Akron.

Out of nowhere, the six were attacked by dozens of teenage boys, who shouted ''This is our world'' and ''This is a black world'' as they confronted Marshall and his family."

Again, I ask: how does a group of 'dozens of teenage boys' come out of nowhere?

Like others posted here, I think there is more to this story. But IMHO it was definately racial.

What I would do in this situation, set aside, I have to ask; what the hell were they thinking when they saw a group of 50 (insert classification here) youth walking down the street? Does anyone here think that a group of youth that large 'snuck up on them'?

You see a group that large headed your way, get you ass inside.

Situational awareness is the single most important tool you have to save your own ass. Unfortuately these vicitims either didn't have it or ignored it.

Just because you're in front of your friends house doesn't mean it's time to drop your awareness.

"It came after a family night of celebrating America and freedom with a fireworks show at Firestone Stadium. Marshall, his family and two friends were gathered outside a friend's home in South Akron.

Out of nowhere, the six were attacked by dozens of teenage boys, who shouted ''This is our world'' and ''This is a black world'' as they confronted Marshall and his family."

Again, I ask: how does a group of 'dozens of teenage boys' come out of nowhere?

Like others posted here, I think there is more to this story. But IMHO it was definately racial.

Go back a page and read my post.

Lol

How in the world do you not see 50 black teens coming your way rather or not they're bunchedd in a group.

Maybe it was dark?:biggrin:

Unless it was pitched black, no moon, zero stars they cloudest night ever and they were from South Africa in ninja suits. I dont see how you dont see them. Period

One or two black teens roughing me up, with my family there, with several dozen other black teens backing them up, the only prayer they may have of seeing the sun come up again is that I'm not able to get to my car, the pistols I carry would only get a few, thats if each shot counted, and they were not armed, I realize I may spend the rest of my life in jail, but the coruner would be very busy for a few days, and to show that I am not racist, it would no never mind if they were black, white, or whatever

Most groups good or bad only have only a small nucleus of leaders, if I were in this situation would protect myself and family, drop the leaders and hope the rest would flee, if not continue firing on the nearest threat till out of ammo. No duty to retreat in Texas, if at my home additional defense would be broght to bear, they may win in the end, but will take serious losses. Hang the press, police and Al Sharpton.

Good example of what 32 rd mags are good for.
"Pulling out the pistol and threatening to shoot the first ones coming closer may be your only way to avoid the situation."
Disagree here. If it's time to draw, it's way past time for threats. ("If you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."_Tuco) They aren't North Korean Marines or a Chicom human wave attack. When you start shooting and their buddies start falling down they are likely to rethink the situation. Then Jesse Jackson and Al Charleton can crawl out from under their wet rocks to traduce you with calumnies as a vicious racist who opened fire on these innocent yoots who were just requesting funds for UNICEF or the United Negro College Fund. (Not lumping all Black Folks into the category of criminals here. The article said the assailants were African Americans. When set upon by a swarm of predators their ethnicity is irrelevant.)

Uhmn, yeah, I would like to see the judge who'd say being attacked by a mob of 50 does not justify shooting. I would certainly be scared out of my pants enough to do it. And while it is correct that you probably don't have enough ammo to shoot all of them this was not a Zombie attack. They won't just keep coming. Those dumb kids only felt strong in numbers and would have pissed their pants once shots were fired. It's actually pretty sad that there had to be 50 of them to get enough courage together in the first place. :no:

Thank you MadnMo: One of the main reasons I ever purchased a firearm is the fact that "I WILL NOT BE A SHEEP". That goes for the federal government that is out of control lurching toward fascism ala Germany 1930 and it goes for everyday crap like this thread's initial comments.

50 to 1 or 2 is bad odds? I'd say that is a little under stated. "...unless the attack seemed fatal..." May I ask at what moment in this particular incident one would think it seems fatal?

That is the moment I would draw and fire. No warning, no order to "Stop" or "Get back". One guy swinging with 49 of his friends watching, that is instant fear for my life or my friends life. He gets the first bullet, and the next one to come closer gets the next bullet.

The possibility of losing my gun or retaliation isn't a factor at that moment. If I have to choose between not pulling/shooting and getting the life beaten out of me, or pulling/shooting and possibly getting shot with my own gun, I'll take the odds of pulling and shooting. As for retaliation, I just might end up having to leave town, or even the state. Again, I'll accept that if it means saving my or my friends life.

You are sooo right. I would have drawn and started to shoot at the same point.

Unfortunately since, from a practical point of view, hate crimes only occur between black "victims" of white "perpetrators" and not with white victims of black perpetrators, no "hate crime enhancement" will be charged, if any prosecution occurs.

A situation like that makes me want to learn a martial art in the worst way. If Im ever attacked by a mob, Im going to want to know how to fight multiple attackers at once and also hope I have a knife on me. You can only shoot so many times before you run out of bullets.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back