What to do when your permit is about expire and the new on isn't ready yet

boxers.forever

NRA Member
I live in Mecklenburg Co.. I aplied for my renewal permit back on 3/12/2015 and it still hasn't been aproved yet. My permit expires on 7/7/2015. I call every other week and get the same old answer. It can take up to 120 days which will be on the 10th of July. I thought they were sapost to reply within 90 days or is this some of Mecklenburg making up there own rules again? I was told by some of the people working at the sherffs office that I could aarry even after my permit has expired but I have a hard time with this. Has onyone elese run into this?

Not sure on the laws of NC, but I'm thinking you should be able to keep carrying if you can prove (have paperwork on your person) that you applied for a renewal within the specified timeframe as required by law and haven't received it yet.

I am not a lawyer, so you should act accordingly.

This is from the pdf posted by North Carolina Attorney General’s office.

“At least forty-five (45) days prior to the expiration date of a concealed carry permit, the sheriff will send a written notice to the permittee explaining that the permit is about to expire. The holder of the permit shall apply to renew the permit within the ninety-day (90) period prior to its expiration. The permit of a permittee who complies with this requirement will remain valid beyond the expiration date of the permit until the permittee either receives a renewal permit or is denied a renewal permit by the sheriff. If the permittee does not apply to renew the permit prior to its expiration date, but does apply to renew the permit within sixty (60) days after the permit expires, the sheriff may waive the requirement of taking another firearms safety course; however, the person may not carry a concealed handgun under this expired permit”.
Link Removed

According to this if you applied for renewal prior to the expiration date of the permit, the permit remains valid until the sheriff approves or denies it. If you applied for renewal after the expiration date, the permit is no longer valid

How about using Google to find the actual law regarding permit renewals in NC? NC General Statutes 14-415.16 states:

(c) Upon receipt of the completed renewal application and the appropriate payment of fees, the sheriff shall determine if the permittee remains qualified to hold a permit in accordance with the provisions of G.S. 14-415.12. The permittee's criminal history shall be updated, including with another inquiry of the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), and the sheriff may waive the requirement of taking another firearms safety and training course. If the permittee applies for a renewal of the permit within the 90-day period prior to its expiration date and if the permittee remains qualified to have a permit under G.S. 14-415.12, the sheriff shall renew the permit. The permit of a permittee who complies with this section shall remain valid beyond the expiration date of the permit until the permittee either receives a renewal permit or is denied a renewal permit by the sheriff.

According to this if you applied for renewal prior to the expiration date of the permit, the permit remains valid until the sheriff approves or denies it. If you applied for renewal after the expiration date, the permit is no longer valid

If you make a renewal after the permit has expired, you basically are starting over meaning you have to take a CC course again, and provide the course completion certificate as part of your application.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back