what to carry?

indifferent12

I recently got my cc lic. now I'm considering the pros and cons between carrying a pistol or revolver concealed. Any facts, opinions, and input to help me decide what I want to carry are greatly appreciated.

I am in the same boat. For what it's worth I was told that the Ruger Lc9 is a great self defense pistol, bc it is so compact for a 9mm. It's also not overly expensive.

I presently very comfortably carry an FN FiveseveN in a Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe, which was made for the firearm.

I'm new to carrying too. After weighing all the options I went with the Gen4 Glock 23. Couldn't be happier.

I feel like it was the perfect choice. In NYS the max mag capacity is 10, which is what the 23 holds anyway. So I've got a compact enough pistol loaded with 10 rounds of 185 grain hollow-point .40 cal with an extra mag on the opposite side of my waist. That gives me 20 powerful rounds to get done what needs to get done. If that's not enough, I should have stayed home.

I figured that, no matter how reliable a revolver is, it's going to be fatter than a pistol and max out at 5 or 6 rounds with a slower reload. I'd have to carry 3 speed-loaders to get the same capacity as I carry with one spare mag.

Now I have been SURPRISED that NO ONE has noticed I've been carrying a compact Glock for these past two months. Not a single person has noticed all Summer, including when I'm only wearing a wife beater under a T-shirt. My frame is 200lbs + but I'm not a huge guy. I just go with an IWB Kydex holster, and not even my Law Enforcement buddies know I'm carrying. I've been surprised at how not-noticeable it is, even to trained eyes. And even my closest civilian friends have noooo idea I'm carrying.

I can't recommend the Gen 4 Glock 23 enough. The new grips are better. The mag release is a much better target for my thumb, and it's powerful enough to be effective but controllable enough to reacquire the target quickly after firing.

On the other hand, my Dad got his CCW the same time I did. He chose the S&W Bodyguard .380. The advantage is that he's got a much slimmer, shorter weapon than mine. The disadvantage is, well, everything else. Less powerful (by a lot). Less rounds. Less accuracy. Less grip.

I shot both side-by-side, mag for mag. I was much happier than ever with my choice.

So that's my 2 cents. Hope you are as happy with your final selection as I am with mine.

depending on the state you live in if you qualify with a revolver thats all you can carry. if u do the same with a semi auto you can carry either or. thats how the permit is for texas anyways so you might want to look in to that as well. i carry a springfield XD .40 subcompact in a crossbreed supertuck delux and am very happy with it, but want to go smaller cause the summers here in texas really suck, so im looking into a lcp9 or a sig .380 for summer.

I carry a XD-SC .40 most of the time, in light summer clothes I carry the LC9. I will not carry a revolver due to a limited capacity and wide bulk.

I just thought I would let you know that I have had my ccw for some time and I now carry a FNH FiveseveN in a crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe made specificaly for this firearm. It is very comfortable and can easily be worn all day without discomfort.

Now that you have some idesa go visit your local gun store and hold some guns. Choose one that fits well in your hand....not to big, not too small. If you cannot use and handle it comfortably it isn't the right gun to own for concealed carry.

I carry a Glock23 with a Minotaur mtach iwb and it's comfortable and doesn't print at all I can wear a t-shirt and shorts and no one can tell I am carrying
And I am with the other guy the Glock23 is a great gun will prob be my main carry gun from now on or atleast till flock makes a better version of it.

Be advised that revolvers are a type of pistol. Be it single shot, lever action, semi auto, or revolver, they are all pistols. There is no need to emulate the English on this one.
Follow nymoose's advice.

Carry what you're most comfortable with...what you have the most confidence in...and what you can handle and shoot the best. A wheelgun will protect you just as well as a semi. In most instances if you need more than six rounds to neutralize a situation, you're in a running gunfight and that doesn't need to happen.

I carry a Ruger LCP or a Kahr PM9. You could always look at the Kahr PM40. Also climate and your attire will have a lot to do with what you carry. Here in the Florida heat, less clothes = less places to conceal.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back