What pocket holster do you use for a ruger lcp?

mpohio

Picked up a couple pocket rockets today.
1st is a Ruger lcp 380
2nd is a Kahr pm40 40cal

Yep, been busy today. I went to Columbus and took adavantage of some smokin hot deals. They had the ruger on sale for $299 (NIB), but I found a Gently used(only 20 rnds down the pipe) for $209, and the kahr pm40 was a FTF with a guy for $450 with two boxes of defense hollow points and a holster. Could have gotten just the gun for $400, but I knew I was going to get the ammo and holster anyways.

I put them next to a Glock 27(subcompact 40cal) to show size comparison. The ruger is the perfect size for a pocket gun, the kahr fits, but is a little big. I am going to the range tomorrow for some accuracy test(and yes , I will take pics )

Link Removed

I use an Uncle Mike's IWB holster from which I removed the belt clip. I can't remember the exact size, but it works very well in the front pocket of jeans and dress pants alike.

I use an Uncle Mike's IWB holster from which I removed the belt clip. I can't remember the exact size, but it works very well in the front pocket of jeans and dress pants alike.

Size 10 works great, but not if you have a Crimson Trace laser attached.

I stopped using a holster months ago, except for about one week carrying IWB with my Uncle Mike's number 10. Now I just stick it in my pocket or more often clip it IWB with a Kel-Tec belt clip. Fits perfectly, although the pin is a little tight.

The "Youngster at the gunshop that sold me my lcp, claimed I could not carry it loose in my pocket and I needed a holster to make it legal. Is he correct or is he just trying to sell me a holster? My state is Ohio.

The "Youngster at the gunshop that sold me my lcp, claimed I could not carry it loose in my pocket and I needed a holster to make it legal. Is he correct or is he just trying to sell me a holster? My state is Ohio.

A quick glance of the attorney generals publication on concealed carry shows that if you are carrying loaded and concealed in a vehicle that it must be in a holster. Without reading through the laws I'd say you'll need one to comply.

I use a Link Removedpocket holster, good news is you can get them most stores for about $15 or so.

Always use a holster while pocket carrying. The trigger must be covered to keep your finger off it in your pocket, the gun has no safety and relies on it's long trigger pull. It has an internal hammer block, as long as the trigger is not pulled it cannot be fired.

I have my hand in my pocket all the time, touching an exposed trigger absentmindedly is the last thing I want to do.

A quick glance of the attorney generals publication on concealed carry shows that if you are carrying loaded and concealed in a vehicle that it must be in a holster. Without reading through the laws I'd say you'll need one to comply.

A slow read of the attorney general's publication on concealed carry shows that you only need a holster if all of the following apply: carrying (1) loaded, (2) in vehicle, and (3) on your person. :redface:

Link Removed

I use a Link Removedpocket holster, good news is you can get them most stores for about $15 or so.

Always use a holster while pocket carrying. The trigger must be covered to keep your finger off it in your pocket, the gun has no safety and relies on it's long trigger pull. It has an internal hammer block, as long as the trigger is not pulled it cannot be fired.

I have my hand in my pocket all the time, touching an exposed trigger absentmindedly is the last thing I want to do.

I don't keep my hand in my pocket. My pocket IS my holster, and it covers the trigger. :biggrin:

I prefer a holster for two reasons:
1. It maintains the firearm in the correct position at all times, so I don't have to fish for it.
2. It helps to keep dirt and pocket lint out of it.

But to each their own. There are no particular laws about it here in PA.

I prefer a holster for two reasons:
1. It maintains the firearm in the correct position at all times, so I don't have to fish for it.
2. It helps to keep dirt and pocket lint out of it.

But to each their own. There are no particular laws about it here in PA.

Gotta agree that a holster is better. Just can't stand the feel, even of the excellent and paper-thin DeSantis Nemesis. So generally I just use the Kel-Tec belt clip IWB 95% of the time (5% pocket carry). But if i were to use a pocket holster, I would definitely go with the Nemesis.

After taking the LCP to the range, I wouldn't worry about accidentally firing it in your pocket. The ruger LCP has the longest trigger pull I have ever shot. I just want to keep it legal :biggrin:

I was thinking something simpl like the one pictured below.

Link Removed

I use the Uncle Mike's for my pocket (summer time cargo shorts, perfect) and I have one of the leather wallet holsters for the back pocket of my jeans.

I was told by a couple people that the wallet style(not covering trigger) are no no's. I was told it was a federal law and not a state thing, I am still trying to verify it.

I was told by a couple people that the wallet style(not covering trigger) are no no's. I was told it was a federal law and not a state thing, I am still trying to verify it.

"Wallet Guns" are on the list of "any other weapons" at BATFE. See clarification of law on pages 5-6 here:

Link Removed

However, some companies claim to have letters of clarification that their holsters are legal, because the firearm is not concealed within the wallet. In the pictures in the previous post, you can see the barrel, trigger, etc. Like any other holster, the gun is not concealed within the holster.

Another reference is here:

ATF Online - Firearms - Guides - Identification of Firearms

I would insist on a letter from the manufacturer that their wallet holster does not become a wallet gun once you holster your weapon. Otherwise you need to pay your $5 and get your stamp so you aren't violating Class II!

I can actually carry my Kel Tec P-11 in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster with most of my pants and shorts. It is damn easy to conceal that way, but the draw is slooowwww! Family and I were walking around some stores today and carried it in a Bianchi OWB holster that I originally bought for a Beretta 9000S 9mm I had a few years ago. It fits perfect.:yu:

That's the holster that could get you thrown in jail.

POSTED BY ISLANDER:
Wallet Guns" are on the list of "any other weapons" at BATFE. See clarification of law on pages 5-6 here:

Link Removed

However, some companies claim to have letters of clarification that their holsters are legal, because the firearm is not concealed within the wallet. In the pictures in the previous post, you can see the barrel, trigger, etc. Like any other holster, the gun is not concealed within the holster.

Another reference is here:

ATF Online - Firearms - Guides - Identification of Firearms

I would insist on a letter from the manufacturer that their wallet holster does not become a wallet gun once you holster your weapon. Otherwise you need to pay your $5 and get your stamp so you aren't violating Class II!

Whatever you do at least go on the FIST site and look at the "thumb push" design. I think Grandfather Oak site also shows a thumb push design. It is nice to have "sticky" on the outside of holster but it still moves around a bit in your pocket as you go for your firearm. The thumb push design allows your thumb, which is "just hanging there" as you reach for the gun, to actually find a place on the top of the holster so as you pull up with the gun, your thumb is pushing down on the holster--it definitely gives me a feeling that the holster will stay in place as I reach for my gun. You can actually make your own thumb push on any holster (I have) by just glueing a small piece of bike tire on the top of the holster exactly where your thumb would be--it adds that little platform that your thumb is looking for as you draw the gun. Just sayin.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back