What parts to cheap out on?

GGB

I am new to the AR platform. I bought a "cheap" AR-15 new and have added some upgrades to my liking (maybe not yours).

My question is...as I am changing parts and upgrading, is there a point where I am making a cheap rifle "shiny" but the lower or upper are crap and could fail before other parts. BTW I have 2000+ rounds through it and have had no problems.

Again, I'm new to the AR but like working on my guns myself so any help would be appreciated

What did you buy? What is this rifle being used for? What are you trying to accomplish with the upgrades?

I bought a 16" palmetto state armory freedom rifle from a friend that had never fired it. I added a low profile gas block and barrel length fore grip. I also installed a 3lb trigger.

I'll just be using it for target shooting, Just competing with myself.

I bought some cheap iron sights and a cheap red dot just to get started with. I will eventually upgrade those. There isn't much else I want to do. The upgrades I made were so I had as much distance between the iron sights as possible and the trigger was "crisper" and more predictable.

It seems well built and I haven't had any issues but I have nothing to compare it to.

PSA rifles are not bad at all, especially if you don't plan any serious use, such as putting it through a multi-day rifle class with 500 rounds fired per day. I am not sure why you think the upper and lower are crap. Just for comparison, the S&W M&P 15 Sport is in the same price range and does hold up in multi-day rifle classes.

I didn't mean to imply that the upper and lower were crap I was just using those parts as an example.

Ok, so if at some point I do decide to take a multi day course or train more seriously would you suggest upgrades or a replacement rifle? And if you suggest upgrades, which parts would be the most important?

I didn't mean to imply that the upper and lower were crap I was just using those parts as an example.

Ok, so if at some point I do decide to take a multi day course or train more seriously would you suggest upgrades or a replacement rifle? And if you suggest upgrades, which parts would be the most important?

Just wear the rifle out and replace parts as they wear out. Read AR-15 Maintenance and Repair- Five Tips from Armorer’s School to understand the most common AR15 problems. Read AR-15 Maintenance – Do You Need New Gas Rings?. Replace certain parts as necessary, for example:

2,500 round interval,

* Inspect and replace as necessary extractor spring, insert and O-ring

5,000 round interval

* Replace extractor spring
* Replace extractor insert
* Replace Crane O'ring
* Replace gas rings
* Replace action spring

10,000 round interval

* Replace bolt

15,000 round interval

*Replace barrel.

I always have a spare bolt carrier group to make an emergency replacement during a class as easy and as quick as possible.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back