What kinds of drills do you use?

HDRyder79

I'm kinda new to concealed carry, so I was just wondering what types of practice seems to work best for faster target acquisition and accuracy? Right now, since I just got my new gun, I'm just target shooting for accuracy and familiarity with my firearm. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Depending on HOW you carry, you might want to drill on retreval. I carry IWB at 4oclock with a t-shirt out. One of my drills is to lift up shirt with left hand as my right hand goes for the gun and at the same time my thumb is releasing the safety..sounds easy, but try and achieve it in one smooth fluid motion and achieve it QUICKLY..once you master getting the gun out, then work on grouping..thats what I do anyway

Draw stroke and weapon presentation. You should still study the marksmanship issue as well as weapon manipulation, as this will always serve you well. Getting the weapon into play quickly, and safely, is of the highest importance. Even if you are shooting 6" groups at 10 mtrs, if you are doing it quickly, giddy up, let the aggressor critique that!

We often videotape (and review) our drawstrokes for study purposes.

Welcome to the armed populace, we can use the help ;)

In addition to drawing drills, (did some today), I practice stove pipe, out of battery and double feed malfunction clearing drills.

I have a dozen bright orange tipped dummy rounds from Gunsite that lets me practice malfunctions at home as well as at the range. ;)

drills........

i agree with sgt. sig. get some training rounds and INSURE that there are no mishaps. work on drawing that weapon and putting it on the bad guy. make sure that you get the metodology done right. start slow, get it right. the speed will come with practice and time. if you can, train and practice your draw and target acquisition in front of a full length mirror. this is what "jelly" bryce did. he tried to outdraw his own reflection!! i haven't done this drill in awhile. time to practice!!! again, GET SOME SNAP CAPS AND GO,GO,GO!!

Range days are not as much as I would like them to be due to my schedule so, most of my practice somes from Airsoft training.

From concealment, practice clearing garment, draw stroke, front site ack, trigger squeeze, and follow-up on second shot. Repeat, time and time again until it is memory. Once memory keep practicing to keep it in memory.

I also work on clearing malfunctions when I am at the range. I have a couple of bullets loaded with a popped primer and no powder. I will mix it in with the other rounds before I load up my mags. This way I don't know where it is in the order and will be suprised when I comes up. Always practice your malfunctions because if you are not familiar with them it can cost you your life.

One thing I practice is keeping my shooting arm and hand close to my body when firing. Most assaults are close quarters. If you draw and stretch out your arms you may get your weapon taken away from you. Keeping the weapon close to your body increases the distance between you and your target. I cant the weapon slightly to the right to keep the brass from hitting me in the face. I either place my left hand in my pocket just to keep my arm out of the way of the muzzle or put my left arm over my head in a defensive posture. This is instinctive one hand firing and sights are not used.

One thing I practice is keeping my shooting arm and hand close to my body when firing. Most assaults are close quarters. If you draw and stretch out your arms you may get your weapon taken away from you. Keeping the weapon close to your body increases the distance between you and your target. I cant the weapon slightly to the right to keep the brass from hitting me in the face. I either place my left hand in my pocket just to keep my arm out of the way of the muzzle or put my left arm over my head in a defensive posture. This is instinctive one hand firing and sights are not used.

Great reminder Red Hat! I'm adding that to my next practice session. ;)

training idea.....maybe?

when i was at the police academy, we did a night fire course that was pretty intense. we had taped a " assault" woman screaming in fear, man ready to kill, etc and played it LOUD on a tape player and then had flashing police lights and the instructor would shoot blanks and at us with a m-80 gun {huge firecracker. i got shot in the foot with it!!} we had 3 targets with a shotgun loaded with sabot slugs from behind a barricade. then we had to sprint 15 yards, engaging targets until we got to a garage door then a shoot/no shoot decision had to be made with a hostage. it really caused a adrenelin dump that you had to control to pass. i had to run thecourse twice!! we can take this idea and adapt it to our personal training. you just got have a place to do it. maybe disco lights instead of police lights and tape record a high stress situation from movie/ tv?

I wear mine at 4 o'clock with an untucked shirt. My biggest issue seems to be getting the shirt out of my way. I will practice quickly getting my shirt out of the way and simply getting a grip on the handle of the pistol. Then I'll practice the whole draw. Moving the shirt, gripping the handle and drawing. I will often practice taking one step backward as I draw. I figure this will give me a little more working room.

I wear mine at 4 o'clock with an untucked shirt. My biggest issue seems to be getting the shirt out of my way. I will practice quickly getting my shirt out of the way and simply getting a grip on the handle of the pistol. Then I'll practice the whole draw. Moving the shirt, gripping the handle and drawing. I will often practice taking one step backward as I draw. I figure this will give me a little more working room.

Hey Doc,

A little trick that can sometimes help is to use your off hand to reach low across your body and as your gun hand moves toward your weapon, then grab a hand full of shirt and yank up with your off hand at the same time using the thumb of your gun hand to assist the shirt clearing the weapon as your hand comes up toward a good combat grip.

Sounds complicated but it really isn’t. The off hand then is in close proximity to greet your gun hand as your weapon points toward its target just prior to driving your weapon forward. ;)

I'll give it a try Sarge. I have tried once or twice and it just didn't seem to work for me. But, once or twice isn't much of a try now is it. :)

I was outside today firing off a bunch of 9mm and I stopped and realized I was wearing my glasses. I guess you are wondering what's the big deal. How many of you wear glasses and are like me, you don't wear them all the time. I only use mine for closeup and watching TV. The problem is 99% of the time they are in my pocket or hanging on my shirt. If something goes down the chances of me wearing my glasses would be very slim. So from now on I'm going to practice without my glasses. Instinctive firing really comes in play now!:) Oh yes, wear eye protection if you have them though!

My favorite drill is a 9.6V DeWalt portable drill. I think Milwaukee makes my 2nd favorite.

Oh, wait, different kinds of drills.....I stand in front of the mirror and draw & fire at myself using a snap cap. At the range, I simulate a draw (can't actually draw there) from my hip & shoot double taps @ 7, 12, and 15 feet.

Glasses are a problem both when shooting and drilling.(typing) Bifocals tri and such are nuts. However progressive lens seem to combat that problem.I can't where progressive decause you must move your head to focus. Not good while hunting.

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back