What kinds of drills do you use?

I do both accuracy shooting and point and shoot.

My accuracy shooting is at 7 yards. I am using the rule of 7. closer than 7 feet you are contact distance and beyond 7 yards, its time to run.

Point and shoot I use both individual targets and multiple targets.

In my point and shoot drills, I always go for most dangerous first. This is usually closest first.

Tarzan

I'll practice with two or three mags in the standard two hand stance just to warm up but after that I usually do moving and shooting drills (I'll walk from left to right and vise versa) drawing and shooting rapidly, point shooting, one handed shooting with weak hand holding a flashlight, etc. Almost all of this is double tap. Then of course for fun or frustration depending on the day I'll do a mag or two of some long distance shooting. 50 feet, 70 feet, etc.

training/tactics

I do aim, I do target shoot, and I do extend my arms; all to reinforce confidence in myself and my weapon. That being said, I am a devout follower of the "point shooting" method. If you have the time and distance to extend your arms and break a shot then it's most likely not a justified shooting. Practice point shooting! Also shoot small targets. Being frugal, I prefer 5"x7" paper sheets as a brick of notepads can be had at Staples wicked cheap. Whichever method you use; practice,practice, practice. Go slow. Get it right. With proficiency will come speed.

-Drive fast and shoot straight

All good suggestions....... and I would add one.

I make it a point to practice at least once a week regardless of the weather. I make sure the folks I teach know that the bad guy won't wait for sunny and 70 degrees

I would only add one little "tip" to the other suggestions, and you can even do it when you are target shooting.

When you are standing, facing the target, take one step to the side either before you draw or as you are drawing. This simple action will serve to ingrain in you the habit of getting off the line of attack and in real life will help to disturb the aggressor's OODA Loop. In short, even if you take only one step to the side, you are now not where you were and the aggressor has to "reorient" if he wants to shoot you. This sidestep also works well for someone coming at you with a blade.

I think it was Clint Smith that said it best; "If you aren't shooting you should be moving. If you aren't moving you should be reloading."

OK, now back to our regularly scheduled program. :)

Biker

I like that suggestion of taking a step to the side. I'll try it out on the range, then if all goes well I'll incorporate it in my training.

gf

Also for the frugal-minded

try simple paper plates. After shooting you can hold them over your face and chest to get an idea of your stopping efficiency.

I carry a really small (AMT Backup .380 S/A) pistol in a Bianchi thumb-break holster, and I spend a good bit of time practicing clearing my shirt, locating the holster with the flat of my hand, sliding my thumb up the outside of the strap and breaking the snap open. Then I'll work on simply getting the gun into my hand, which is somewhat tricky with a subcompact.
Breaking it down into stages and then putting them all together seems to work better for me than just doing it in one fell swoop, as there are is quite a bit to do in a very short time, and coming up with a poor grip means an injured hand at the very least. It makes it easier to identify problem areas and solutions to them.

I use ball and dummy drills...and combat pistol technique

I run ball and dummy drills with a buddy loading a dummy round in the mag at unknown intervals. This serves 3 purposes. FTF (failure to fire), flinch detection and the ability to clear a stoppage while keeping the pistol on target.

I also practice multiple target engagement at 7-10 meters and Mozambique drill for single targets.

A very good video instructor is Rob Pincus. (spelling?) This guy has it all together.

Remember...lateral movement is our friend it takes us out of the line of fire thus making us harder to score a critical shot on. Utilize lateral movement also during reloads to keep the opposition guessing.

speed is life...react fast enough and accurately enough...slow perfect shots may get you killed and fast effective shots may save your life.

Last edited:
I run ball and dummy drills with a buddy loading a dummy round in the mag at unknown intervals. This serves 3 purposes. FTF (failure to fire), flinch detection and the ability to clear a stoppage while keeping the pistol on target.

I also practice multiple target engagement at 7-10 meters and Mozambique drill for single targets.

A very good video instructor is Rob Pincus. (spelling?) This guy has it all together.

Remember...lateral movement is our friend it takes us out of the line of fire thus making us harder to score a critical shot on. Utilize lateral movement also during reloads to keep the opposition guessing.

speed is life...react fast enough and accurately enough...slow perfect shots may get you killed and fast effective shots may save your life.

+1 on Rob. I have a couple of his video's and they are some of the best ones I have.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back