What is your Opinion

Zippo74

Concealed Carry while Traveling

We all know that not all States are CCW friendly fact of the matter is. Some states simply do not allow it.

That is a problem for alot of CCW holders. What I want to know is how do you respond to that..

Being fairly new to the CCW world Im still forming opinions and not really sure where I stand just yet. I Live in Michigan. Now when heading to Wisconsin or Illinois where the laws do not permit Concealed Carry I am torn on what I should do. Do I put it away? Take the chance? What do I do?

In talking to a friend of mine who is also a CCW Instructor he says.

I would never tell anyone to break the law..And I wouldnt admit to doing it myself but I can tell you.... I would rather be tried by 12 than Carried by 6...

Thats a very good point..... He also went on to say.... The whole Idea of Concealed Carry is just that....Concealed.... If done properly.. Noone would even know if you were packing.

I just feel that its my right and that in a larger populated area..its something I want to concider... but at the same time.. is it worth the risk...

Just looking for advice.

While noble in thought (Better to be judged by 12 then buried by 6), it will not bring much comfort to you in a jail cell as you wait trial. Personally, I would avoid any unfriendly CCW state and spend my money elsewhere. When I make travel plans I always look for ways to avoid the bad states. Don't support states that violate your rights. Give your hard earned dollars to states that do. If you have to pass through a bad state, tank up in the good state and drive right through the bad state and stay overnight in the good states too.

I'd have to agree with your instructor. I would not admit breaking the law and wouln't advise anyone else to break the law. It seems to me that we should assume that anything we post on forums such as this could be used agaisnt you.

That is a problem for alot of CCW holders. What I want to know is how do you respond to that..
That's their laws, so I follow them. I figure if I break them and end up with a felony for carrying a concealed weapon against their law then I lose my right to do so everywhere, so to me it's not worth the gamble.

Being fairly new to the CCW world Im still forming opinions and not really sure where I stand just yet. I Live in Michigan. Now when heading to Wisconsin or Illinois where the laws do not permit Concealed Carry I am torn on what I should do. Do I put it away? Take the chance? What do I do?
Personally I think if you do so against the law and get caught you dirty the name of all the rest of us who follow the law and who have earned the right over the years of our lives, those of us who have behaved enough to earn our licenses to carry concealed. As I said above, it's their state, it's their right to have their rules whether we agree with them or not. It's your right to speak out against those laws, but to go as far as intentionally breaking their laws, well that makes those of us who have earned that right look bad also because one bad apple chose to disobey the law!

I would never tell anyone to break the law..And I wouldnt admit to doing it myself but I can tell you.... I would rather be tried by 12 than Carried by 6...
No one can tell you what to do, your life is yours to do with as you please. I kind of agree with what John Wayne said in Hondo, "I made me this rule, I let people do what they want to!" If you feel risking losing your license for the rest of your life is worth that gamble then go for it. I don't totally disagree with what your instructor friend says, just be sure you're positive enough with his statement to feel comfortable sitting in jail while still having those beliefs!

Thats a very good point..... He also went on to say.... The whole Idea of Concealed Carry is just that....Concealed.... If done properly.. Noone would even know if you were packing.
I carried a lot of years before the permits came around, I worked delivering truck loads of stuff to mini warehouses in and around Houston during the middle of the night. Those places were as dark as six feet under, homeless people would sleep amongst the trash dumpsters and it was never comfortable going up there at night to unload alone.. Fortunately the police knew us back then, knew our situation and somewhat turned their heads to it, but I wouldn't risk losing my license over it now that I actually have one.

I just feel that its my right and that in a larger populated area..its something I want to concider... but at the same time.. is it worth the risk...
Only you can decide if it's worth the risk or not, you'll never find me advising you to break the law. When you're a man that's a choice only you can make. I understand your feelings, I feel your feelings, I even share your feelings, I've had them before myself! I just see it that now that you have your license and know the law, you're also representing all the rest of us who have them too each time you go out carrying your weapon in public, so personally I would consider that as well before allowing yourself to get in trouble.

It's good to conceal well and no one knows you even have it, but what about that car that runs the stop sign and nails you, or the ice on the sidewalk you slip on and break your leg and are rushed to the hospital, or any of a zillion other incidents that happen to people in life, that's when your really well concealed theory hits the fan. There are no guarantees in life my friend! What I'm getting at, and I'm not trying to be a smartaleck about it either, just offering my view, it's really not a matter of how well you conceal your weapon, it's that you never know when something could happen to you that would cause it to be found out, and if you're in a place where it's illegal to carry, and you know those places because you are a CCW license holder, then that kind of tosses the dirt on all of us making it appear that we feel we're above the law.

That's just my 2 cents, my advice that you asked for. I'm not downing you for what you're feeling, I've been there and done so also, but that was before licenses were available. I won't risk losing my license now, nor will I make it look bad for the rest of the license holders either.

Good luck,
SnowCajun

I'm with zwvirtual on avoiding states that don't let me carry. I like to travel cross-country on my motorcycle and I plan my routes around those states. I try to avoid California completely and I never intend to visit Illinois or Wisconsin.

I'm from a state where we're not allowed to carry. When planning my vacations, I choose destinations that are "gun friendly". I've got permits from several states. I'd rather spend my time and money in places where I'm allowed to exercise my rights.

gf

Maybe we need to take a lesson from wesly snips and oj .I did not Know i had to pay and they don't like me because I'm black.

I try to avoid the states that will not accept my permit. This is easier for me than you. Most states surrounding me honor mine. I have to say I will not carry in violation of the law. While I certainly see your point of being defenseless in such a situation, if for some reason you get caught carrying illegally, you will be defenseless in every situation. There will be no more handgun permit. Again, I see your point, but I would rather go one place without my handgun, than have my permit revoked, and have to go everywhere without one.

I agree with most others here. There are plenty of places for me to vacation so I will go to those that are 2nd amendment friendly and stay away from those that are not.

Maybe we need to take a lesson from wesly snips and oj .I did not Know i had to pay and they don't like me because I'm black.

Well,that won't work for all of us.
I'm not black.
Maybe I could still play the 'race card'.I have a lil bit of Native in me.
:p

Avoidance is my policy!

I live in Missouri, just across the Mississippi river from Illinois. I can honestly say I avoid going to Illinois like I would avoid the plague!

While noble in thought (Better to be judged by 12 then buried by 6), it will not bring much comfort to you in a jail cell as you wait trial. Personally, I would avoid any unfriendly CCW state and spend my money elsewhere. When I make travel plans I always look for ways to avoid the bad states. Don't support states that violate your rights. Give your hard earned dollars to states that do. If you have to pass through a bad state, tank up in the good state and drive right through the bad state and stay overnight in the good states too.

this is good advice. it's best to obey the laws and support the states that support your rights. that would really suck to lose your permit because of carrying in a state that doesn't support your rights to begin with..

All it would take is a traffic stop and you have a possible felony arrest on your hands, maybe worse. Try to stay legal and remember that you represent law abiding gun owners. Just my opinion.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back