What is this rifle?

Bluestar99

This rifle has hung in the rafters of our house for over 40 years. We believe it was owned by my uncle, who served in WWll. The condition is poor and I think my little brother tried taking it apart many years ago. So there are some screws etc. missing, stock is beat up. I don't expect it has much value.

What puzzles me is there seems to be some Japanese engraving on it but all the numbers are in English. The serial number is there with a symbol at the end I can't figure out.

Who can tell me what this is?

Thanks!

Thanks guys! That looks like it, a type 99 Arisaka. Can you also tell me why there are both English and Japanese engraving on it? Did we supply them just parts? I would have thought the whole rifle would be English if we sent them completed rifles. I do not know anything about military weapons. After seeing the picture I see they had a bayonet on them. I seem to remember seeing one in the house. I'll take a look!.

Are there places that sell parts for these things? It may look better hanging up if it was complete.

Europe began using Hindu-Arabic numbering a little before the year 1000, Japan adopted the Hindu-Arabic numbering system in the 1800's.

I bet you already know what numbering system was used before that, since about the time of the Romans.

It may also be a mosin nagant. Made by Russia. I just bought my husband one last month gor his birthday and it looks exactly like the one you have pictured.

It may also be a mosin nagant. Made by Russia. I just bought my husband one last month gor his birthday and it looks exactly like the one you have pictured.
It's definitely NOT a Mosin-Nagant.

You can clearly see the characters for "Type 99" ("99 shiki", I believe.) You can also see the offset circles arsenal mark as well (Tokyo Arsenal, I think).

The Arisaka is a modified Mauser, just like the M1903 Springfield and Pattern 14. The Mosin-Nagant has a split receiver ring through which the bolt handle passes when the action is cycled.

There's absolutely no doubt that it's a Type 99 Arisaka short rifle. They also made a few long rifles, of a similar length to the 6.5mm Type 38.

My father had a rifle very similar but I believe it was a carbine.
If it was a carbine, the odds are overwhelming that the it was a Type 38 (or if it had a folding bayonet), a Type 44. Those are 6.5x50mm Arisaka rather than the 7.7x58mm. A friend used to have a Type 38 carbine. It was a very nice and pleasant to shoot little gun.

I did find a place that has a few of the parts I need. I may give them a call. I stopped at a gun shop today that sells a lot of old military rifles. They actually had a Model 99 and it is a match. The condition was only slightly better then mine, but was complete. They were asking 300 bucks for it. So I think I can finish it up, without spending more then it's worth.
Thanks for the info guys!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back